SimCity 4 game won't open

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by elizabeth8338, May 24, 2007.

1. elizabeth8338

elizabeth8338 New Member

game won't open

I've been playing SimCity 4 on this computer for the past few weeks, and haven't had any problems.

Today, when I tried to start the game, every time I got to the EA games logo it stopped playing and returned me to my desktop. Looking in the Sim City folder, I noticed a new folder called Exception Reports. I've copied the header of the most recent one below, if that will help.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has! Thanks. :)

Exception time: 05/24/2007, at 16:15:43.
    Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
    Current thread ID: 2152 (0x00000868).
    Version information:
    Application/module path: C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe
    Application/module version name: SimCity 4
    Application/module version: 1.1.610.0
    System version: Windows NT 5.1
    System memory: 1016 Megabytes total, 512 Megabytes free.

Exception module: C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe.
    Exception address: 0x008768cf. Section:Offset: 0x01:0x0046f8cf.

2. sixers33

sixers33 Need Help? I'm Here!

Have you downloaded any new buildings? Deleted any files?

I suggest reinstalling the game and copying the saved game files to another folder.

3. gmlaster

gmlaster New Member

Let me guess...it gets all the way to the EA Games logo, but doesn't play the sound. Before that can happen, the program abruptly stops and kicks you out to the desktop. I JUST had this problem myself. I reinstalled the game from scratch and it still did the same thing, even with no plugins loaded. It took me days to figure out what it was.

By any chance, is your sound card acting funny? If you're playing SC4 the problem might be something else, but if you're playing Rush Hour and you've been having trouble with your sound, your sound card might be the culprit. Rush Hour was working fine until my sound card drivers suddenly died. Sound cut in and out. Then my system crashed. I repaired it, but the sound drivers didn't recover.

As it turns out, Rush Hour will not load when it can't find your sound card. It doesn't mean that your card has died. It just means that it can't find it. When I checked my Device Manager (right-click on My Computer and choose the Hardware tab), I looked under System Devices and found that my Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator had a big question mark by it.

If this has happened to you, do the following:

1. Uninstall your sound drivers.

2. Uninstall the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator by right-clicking on and and choosing "Uninstall".

3. Go to the Start menu and choose "Run"

4. Type "regedit" to open your registry editor

5. This is scary: delete every instance of SWENUM (i.e., software enumerator) that you can find. Go to the menu and look for "Find". Type in SWENUM and let it find each instance for you. Delete every one. Don't worry. When you reinstall your drivers, it'll install a fresh one.

6. Reboot the computer when you're done.

7. Reinstall your sound card drivers. If you don't know where they are, go to the website of the manufacturer of your computer or laptop, search for your computer's model, and download the drivers.

8. Then reinstall the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator by going to the Control Panel and choosing "Add Hardware". Have it search for new hardware. It'll see it. It might require you to have your original Windows CD on hand. If it asks you to locate a file called "machine", look on the Windows CD in the i386 folder. It can also be located under c:\Windows\inf.

9. Reboot the computer, and try it out. Go to the Control Panel and choose Sounds and Audio Devices. If the options are all selectable and you can set your volume, you're ready to go.

10. Try starting up Rush Hour. It should work just fine, and your sound will play better than ever.

I really REALLY hope this isn't your problem, because having to do this truly sucked. But it worked. It took days to track down and solve this problem. I hope this helps.

I got this from the Tech Support Guy website (http://forums.techguy.org/). If this didn't help, try searching Tech Support Guy.

Good Luck,
    Gina

4. DarthMarasmus

DarthMarasmus New Member

The problem I'm having is that when I attempt to start Sim City 4, it shows the splash screen and then tells me to insert the play disc (which is already in the drive). I occasionally have had this problem with other games as well, so I'm really confused.