Got a Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brandon J Golden, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Got a Problem

Today I had a virus on my computer that locked the control panel and my computer. I got it from downloading a file from some site. I unzipped the file and opened the weird file and the command prompt came up saying something like file added successfully(yea i was stupid enough to open a weird looking file, learned my lesson though). I was able to gain control of my computer by doing a system restore. I then noticed the virus turned off my firewall, so i enabled that. I recently got a message from firewall afterwords that some program from the Internet with the following info..

Program name: Service
    Publisher: Unknown

asking if to block or allow, i obviously blocked it. I currently have full control over the computer but am not sure if i completely put a end to the virus. Did I do enough? Any Suggestions?

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

You're going to have to go go in and figure out what was installed. You could try figuring out some of the free anti-virus services.

http://housecall65.trendmicro.com

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Make sure you run a good anti-spyware program too!

4. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

And a good firewall! :)

5. Improtant Question

I'm currently using the site you suggested Josh and the program found allot of malware and other stuff. I'm waiting for it to stop and delete that junk. I think it was telling me that someone was trying to hack my PC. I think firewall is protecting me at the moment. Could the virus/hacker got any passwords or login info?

6. ManagerJosh

Depends on how sophisticated the malware and other trojans are.

7. ok

I guess ill chnage them all just to be on the safe side once i delete one more file that is resisting deletion.

8. ManagerJosh

What virus/file is it?

9. the file

Troj_bho.sk

10. swmeek

11. ManagerJosh

It isn't that bad that one. I had one infect a laptop I got from a client, and it was one of those constant self replicating, self respawning ones. No matter what you did, it respawned.

Finally I had to break out some heavy tools and I got rid of it.

12. Not Sure if gone

Im not sure if i got rid of that last file. I went to the dirc.. where it was suppose to be and it says dirc does not exist. I also ran that link thing again Josh and had it specificly check the locations where the last check found them. It says nothing harmful found. Im guessing I got rid of it.

Im going to send the virus checker through the entire computer again (takes about 1hr) just to make sure its gone and not hiding somewhere.

13. ManagerJosh

Heh.. A good trick I like to do. Reboot the PC, and rerun the virus scanner. That really tells you if you really got rid of it.

14. I rebooted my computer and ran the virus scanner again and no viruses or harmful files were found other than cookies which is easy to take care of. Thanks so much for your help. :)

15. swmeek

Now make sure your current anti-virus is up to date or find another one just in case something sneaks back in.

16. I dont use...

I did have Norton before but me and my family both diskliked it becuase it slowed our computer down alot. We had Norton removed. I usually count on firewall. Im the only one that downloads things in my houshold other than my brother who asks me if the file is safe to download (usually games).

17. swmeek

You should look into one of the free anti-virus programs like Avast or Avg or Anti-Vir.
    They do not get into every nook and cranny of your operating system like Norton or McCaffee does.
    Not to mention they are FREE !
    In this day and age you simply can not do without one.
    But if you don't want to use one that's your choice though.

18. yea I guess

I may consider adding one. I'm soon getting a lab top in about a week or so. I may decide to add it to my lab top, just because i am constantly downloading something from somewhere. Ill check those programs when i get a chance. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

-Brandon

19. swmeek

www.filehippo.com has several good selections for free anti-virus,spyware detectors and firewalls if you're interested.

20. cool

Ill probably use one of those programs when i get my laptop in about a few days. Just as long as it doesn't slow my computer down or annoy me with messages.