Troubleshooting Graphics/Video Cards Benchmarks & Performance Ratings

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, Jul 8, 2004.

1. grizfan235

grizfan235 New Member

No problem

I'm getting a Dell with everything, so no worries here. My new system will be able to play Half-Life2 and Doom3. Which means S2 will look awesome..............:D

2. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

That is sweet but I hope that S2 will play ok on mines

3. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Mine will be okay. I actually chose my video card for my new computer from that chart! It was a great help. I'm gvetting one around the middle. It the Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB one. I got it cause it seems to be a decent card, and its not to terribly expensive.

4. Jixxx

Jixxx New Member

Thanks for your advice, I got a RADEON 9200SE runnin at 47 frames. Thanks :D

5. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Your welcome :D .

6. Jixxx

Jixxx New Member

^ Thanks :D
    I have a question:
    Up there somewhere it said that really The Sims 2 could be played on any computer, well the computer in my bedroom (not the one with the new graphics card, familys) does not meet the specs for The Sims 2 but the specs for the processer and video card are nearly double with double for those requriments can I expect The Sims 2 to run smoothly without 256MB ram and I'm not sure about the T&L thing.
    The specs for my PC are:
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    1.99 GHz
    192MB Ram
    64MB Video/Graphics card (VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP)
    I'm running on XP but I could install 98 on a partioned (sp?) part of my hard drive.

Please reply with assistance someone :) What I really want to know if The Sims 2 will be decent on my PC, I know it will be playable but I want to know if I can play it with decent performance :)
    Thanks
    - Jack

7. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

The new spec minimums for a non-T&L card are
    2.0ghz processor (yours is 1.99ghz)
    256mb of RAM (Yours is 192mb)
    Supported graphics card (yours is not only not supported but the Via/S3G cards have been problematic on BodyShop, which is a *very* bad sign, since it was because of incompatibility and gave invisible Sims.It's also a non-T&L card)

So, I doubt your computer as is can play it at all unless you get a T&L card and more RAM.

When they said that just about any new computer could play TS2, that was probably before we knew as much as we do now about the minimum requirements. They used to be lower (like even T&L cards only required 1.5ghz and if you had pre-XP you could use 128mb of RAM.) However, testing showed that they needed higher requirements and they let us know those as soon as they could.

Most new computers which are not bottom of the line and mostly meant for business applications can run the game. But older computers and those meant for business (or the inexpensive ones) can't do it and some of them can't even be upgraded.

If you replaced your

8. Supernova

Supernova New Member

replaced your video card? maybe the sentance should be finished.

9. Jixxx

Jixxx New Member

^ Thanks, it turns out that I do 256MB but 64 of it, is shared with my intergreated gfx card but I plan to spend some of my summer job money on a FX5200, so then hopely everything will be running smoothly :)

10. litl_mama1971

litl_mama1971 New Member

Here are my specs

504mb of ram
    pentium 4 2.40ghz
    37.4gb free on my c drive
    intel 82845G/GL graphic controller
    win xp
    I am very worried about my memory card.
    Because in the past I tried to play a different 3d program (shrek) and it wouldn't work. So since ts2 is also 3d I am worried it won't work. Hubby says he's getting it updated but he hasn't even got his fixed up right yet. I hate to use his computer but I guess I may have to bleh. He had to buy a new power source for his to even run the dang new video card. I wish he would just take his and mine in to to best buy where we baught everything and get them fixed up right lol. I don't want anything to mess up. I have my ts2 preordered and I want to play it right away without having to deal with computers lol.

11. KatAnubis

You shouldn't be worried that the game won't work on your machine. You have a processor more than 2.0gb, more than the minimum RAM and your card (although a nonT&L card) is supported. That means that you will be able to play the game with a reasonable frame rate. But you won't have the highest graphics ability that the game can do because your card is not built to do it. But the game will run just fine and you'll be able to enjoy it without having to do anything to your computer.

So, let go of your worry and look forward to playing your game!

12. copter

copter New Member

I have a cool graphics card- the Intel 82845G - however its not listed. I also have a good CPU-2GHZ Pentium-and 512MB RAM...Will my computer run TS2?
    Copter.

13. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

Since your graphics card is provided by Intel you need 2.0 GHz processor (which you have). Now with me on the other hand, I have an Nvidia GeForce 4 Graphics card and I have a 2.08 GHz processor, but since my graphics card has T&L, I only need an 800 MHz processor to play so yeah, yours should work fine, but maybe you should think about upgrading to Nvidia GeForce 4, 5, or 6.:)

14. copter

copter New Member

Thanks ringlee, I'll take that into consideration. I was just making sure it WOULD run instead of sit there with a blinking cursor, no game name mentioned *Cough Need For Speed 2 Cough*. heh. thanks again ;)
    Copter.

15. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

np. If you need anything else just post!

16. KatAnubis

The 82845G/GL certainly is listed. It's one of the 3 supported integrated Intel cards. It's a non-T&L card, but you have the 2.0ghz required for that. And you have more than the 256mb of RAM needed.

Your computer will run the game. The only downside is that being nonT&L, you won't see all the textures. However, most people don't even know what they're missing so you'll be fine. Just avoid seeing anyone play the game with a T&L graphics card.

17. copter

copter New Member

lol. I didn't see it in the list, but my eyes werent really sharp last night ;p Thanks KatAnubis.
    Copter.

18. WHEATTHlNS

WHEATTHlNS New Member

Holy god - integrated Intels are like. . .whew. I dont even think they have Open GL capabilities. You can get a pretty good card for 100 or so bucks. I saw a screenshot with AA turned on, 1280-1024. . .it looked gorgeous. But youd have to invest in a pretty nice card, and your CPU/Memory cant be pushing less than 512. The game runs off of 256megs of mem itself.

19. mickles

mickles New Member

i have a really bad video card. ATI mobility RAEDON 16MB. can anyone give an estimate on how it would go with ts2? its under the requirements but it works with other 3d games like vice city. also, does anyone know if it is T&L or not?

20. BILLYBOB

BILLYBOB New Member

I have a:
    chip typeIntel (R) 82810
    directx 9.0

computer, its pretty old. like everyone, i bought ts2 and installed it when i click on it to play it a pop up appears saying that i dont have a directx 9.0 but i do. can you help me?:confused: