Troubleshooting Graphics/Video Cards Benchmarks & Performance Ratings

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Old laptops will definitely not manage to run TS2. Sorry. "Old" means more than 2 years old.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

That's not much to go, Billybob have you tried update your system? (eg display drivers, Directx and so on).

3. Selene

Selene New Member

I would like to know if my Computer would run TS2 fine, like I have a Pentium IV 3.20 GHZ with 512 MB RAM and my graphics card is a SiS 661 FX o_O with 64MB

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

You should be able to play the game with no major problems. You have a decent system that can be cheaply upgraded if you decide you wish to improve performance for example adding an AGP graphics card or an extra 512MB RAM.

5. Selene

Selene New Member

Oh thanks, I am actually intrested in buying a new graphics card that would be good like for another 2 years lol, any suggestions?

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

GeForce GF6 6600

7. Selene

Selene New Member

Ohh, how much would that cost?

8. ManagerJosh

roughly 199USD MSRP

9. Selene

Selene New Member

Do you know if it exists in europe? (lol)

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hi Selene. Try Amazon in your country.

eg in Britain: I searched Amazon for the GeForce 6800 which is just about the bees knees of graphics cards

11. mmr92

mmr92 New Member

I looked under chip type and mine says VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP I'm not sure what this means or if it will play ts2, i just got my computer last month.

12. JeannieMarie

JeannieMarie New Member

Does anyone know about the FPS on laptop graphics cards? I heard that the Intel integrateds are pretty bad. What about the ATI Raedon mobility 64MB / 128MB? Is there anything better than that out there?

I'm about to purchase a laptop (looking at the compaq nw8000.) Anybody know of a more affordable laptop with great graphics?

Thanks!

13. ManagerJosh

Do you know what model it is?

14. JeannieMarie

JeannieMarie New Member

The model of the graphics card? Here's the description from compaq/hp's website: ATI Mobility Fire GL T2 graphics controller with OpenGL hardware accelerated graphics 128-MB of Video Memory.

The other laptop model has the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro graphics controller with 64 MB or 128 MB DDR SDRAM.

I'm assuming the "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 with up to 64MB of shared system memory for graphics" would be the worst of the these three, huh?

(I'm looking at laptops in the 1.6 -1.8 GHz range.)

15. MissGrad

MissGrad New Member

Well I Just Ordered a XFX Geforce 6600 is that good:confused:

16. ManagerJosh

Yep...that's a very nice card :D

17. lyholy

lyholy New Member

problem with video card...HELP!! please

I've got ATI Rage 128 pro. I can play the game, but the actions is freezing all the time and it is very slow. So I bought an another video card, an ATI Radeon 9200, but my computer does'nt boot with this card. The manufacturer of my motherboard told me it should be ok, but...it doesn't work. Someone can suggest me what video card i should buy (with minimum requirements)??? I've got a P4 s478 1.6G 256meg. Should I upgrade something else instead of the video card?:confused: Thanks!

18. ManagerJosh

Could you post your "complete" list of system requirements?

19. lyholy

lyholy New Member

Not sure exactly what you mean but here is my system setup.

Motherboard: Biostar M7SXF (bios ugraded lately) - supporting AGP 1x,2x,4x
    Processor: P4 1.6G (S478 512K)
    Ram: 256 meg, 266 MHZ DDR
    Current video card: ATI RAGE 128 Pro 32meg
    Hard Drive: Maxtor 40G 7200rpm
    Monitor: TTX8770
    Windows 98 SE

The video card I want to install is a ATI Radeon 9200 128meg AGP, but like I said the computer doesn't boot (not even the beep at the beginning..). The monitor only displays flashing white squares, like if it's not plugged. And by the way, the new video card works on a friend's computer. What is your suggestion? Thanks a lot!

20. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

Could it be that this video card only runs at AGP 8x while your motherboard only supports up to 4x?