Troubleshooting Graphics/Video Cards Benchmarks & Performance Ratings

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, Jul 8, 2004.

1. lyholy

lyholy New Member

It suppose to run 2x,4x and 8x. It's a universal card and it should work. At least, it's what I found on ATI's site!! But I tried everything so it must have something wrong with the compatibility even if the manufacturer of my motherboard told me that it's suppose to work.

2. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

Perhaps an incorrect BIOS setting then?

3. Ub3rshade

Ub3rshade New Member

Hey Josh, you said you could hook people up with better deals for graphics cards. Well, you'll probably recognize me with that awesome DraculaBlack/chrome Logysis LE case: [​IMG]
    Now, I hear you might be able to hook me up with some good prices for graphics cards. As you can tell by the case, I'm building a new gaming machine which'll last, and I've got all parts planned out. My main beef is the fact that while I'm willing to dish out the money for a machine that'll last for a long time, I'm waiting for Geforce 6800 GT 256MB prices to drop. While I can afford 400, I was wondering if you knew where to get me slightly cheaper prices. I'm not sure if I want DVI or TV-Out, but they seem like nice features to have. I have my eyes on this right now:
    [​IMG] From Outpost.com, 400 bucks seems a bit steep, so if you know anywhere else, post please (While I do prefer having a local retailer like Fry's Eelctronics which sells this at the same price, I'm willing to pay shipping for a mail order for anything not based in San Jose, California)

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

5. lyholy

lyholy New Member

I upgraded the bios, but I really don't know anything else about that.

6. Ub3rshade

Ub3rshade New Member

Unfortunately Walnut is about 6 hours away from here in San Jose, and you don't seem to have any of the really high end graphics cards I want (6800, but its for mac? and you don't have a PC version?) I'm standing at 400 as the best price, but I've gotten everything else pretty cheap. (AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2 ghz 939 pin for only about 100-200 dollars, a mobo with 4 slots for 4 gb ram, 5 pci and 1 agp for 100, as well as the audigy2 zs gamer edition for 90 all from neweggs, plus a 90 dollar case with 2 120mm blue LED fans, a dual cathode kit (i'm /eventually/ going to get sound reactive cathods when I get some more MP3s), and a 480 watt power supply. If you want to get some good prices for you're hardware, I shop from
    www.xoxide.com
    www.newegg.com
    I got my hardware from newegg, my case from xoxide (good place for heating, case modding, power supplies, wire management for computers loaded with the works like mine, and caffine :cool:)
    Hey, build a PC, its /way cheaper/, and you're only getting ripped off by giving retailers 800 dollars for a PC at the low-mid range end, and I'm pretty sure anyone can do it, I'm only a 14 year old guy just fresh into highschool.

7. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Yes it is but lots of people don't even know what DirectX is (Although more do now after ts2) let alone the insides of a computer. :rolleyes:

8. Missfluffy

Missfluffy Wooooo

I dont know anything bout computers all i kno is my computer is crap coz sims is slow when i run it and they move really slow can u download update graphics cards or anything?

9. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

You can download graphic card updates but they do not change it's memory and speed. If the sims 2 is running slow upgrade your RAM and graphics card.

10. Ub3rshade

Ub3rshade New Member

Yeah, you might want to upgrade you're card, as well as you're ram, because a slow computer can EASILY cripple the capabilities of a fast graphics card, and while I'm building a machine that'll last for a while and a little over 1000, (less if I live with onboard sound), you can look up www.mysuperpc.com if you want to be able to hand any game with high-mid range parts for about 800 dollars. Heh, this is one of the first instances where so many people knew so little about the hardware and finally touched a video game. (I remember people complaining about not being able to play Doom 3 smoothly, but they knew what their problems were :rolleyes:)

11. SilentDragon

SilentDragon Spegramet, English God

My card isn't listed... It's SiS 650 intergrated chip with 32.0 MB of memory. Just in case it helpful, here's my full PC specs:

Pentium 4 2.50 GHz
    196 MB of DDR RAM (Ignore this, I'm adding 512 DDR before the Sims 2)
    SiS 650 32 MB
    SigmaTel Audio (This shouldn't matter)

I hope I didn't forget something... Could someone tell me what the closest match is?

12. ManagerJosh

My bet would be it is one of those Savage cards.

13. SilentDragon

SilentDragon Spegramet, English God

:eek: Did I miss something on the chart or is it saying it gets 0 FPS? I hope I'm being an idiot here. Thanks, it looks like I need to update the graphics card too.

14. ManagerJosh

It's an integrated solution so it would rank pretty low on the charts. If you had an nVidia nForce solution, I'd rank it higher. But SiS is not well known for graphics.