guess whos next

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by ss8goku, Feb 16, 2003.

1. MegRen

MegRen New Member

Nope, it's me.

SBW?

2. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

'Ello, sweetheart. Imagine that in a cockney accent, which I can't do. I can barely scrape a mancunian accent - and I'm a born and bred salfordian.

Mirelly?

3. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

What exactly is a cockney accent? There are different types of British accents? Sorry if I offend, just being a stupid foreigner here. I guess there are different accents from different states here in the US, but...I don't think I have a "New Jersey" accent. I don't think there's a difference between a Chinese or Japanese or Korean accent, either. :confused:

Edit: Whoops, forgot to guess. Kristal?

4. babewithbrains_14

Cockney accents are generally Londoners. Sousers, or Liverpudlians, are from Liverpool. You get the Scottish accent, Welsh, and Irish. You get accents in Birmingham (hehe Mirelly!) and I am very tired so I really can't remeber any other places lol. I can't even remember what I had for dinner today. Normally can't remember past 5 days ago. Anyway, accents. If you ever met me face to face you would notice that I speak very loosely. No t's, h's, etc. 'Didn't' is pronounced 'Dint', 'wasn't' is pronounced 'want', 'our' is pronounced 'are'. It's just chav speak, basically. Most of my friends speak that way. I'm not full chav, but since I live in Salford, it's rubbed off on me. Gone are the days when I was called posh at school. I'm just another chavvy teen now. Sigh. Ah well.

Elocution lessons, 'ere ah come, cuz ah can't speak propa, innit. Want speakin like dis when ah was li'ul, was ah? Anyways, ahm gonna go now, so innabit are kid!

Translation: Elocution lessons, here I come, because I can't speak properly, can I [isn't it]. I wasn't speaking like this when I was little, was I? Anyway, I'm going to go now, so see you later, mate [family member].

'Innit' is just like a filler, or a reinforcement for what you are saying without actually meaning anything. 'Our kid' is similar to a term or endearment. Usually it refers to a family member, but a lot of people use it when talking about friends as well. Teens generally don't use that expression, it's quite old now.

Phew. Mirelly, are you there our kid?

Innabit peepz.

5. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

wow......... there's nothing I can say following that, is there?

Shana?

6. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

No, it's me.

Try a Minnesota accent if you think yours is funny, Babe ...

Ya fer shure it's cold outside, you betcha. :D

Um, Lynet?

7. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I am here. :)

Funny, but my husband and I were talking about accents just last night. He teases me about the way I pronounce 'fog.' I don't think anyone anywhere pronounces it quite the way I do. Don't know why. Since he insists it should rhyme with 'dog' I now describe misty days and nights as 'really doggy.' :p

I tease him about 'on.' He manages to give the word more than one syllable. Don't ask me how. :rolleyes:

Thought I should mention that Balmorese (not sure of the spelling) is notorious in these parts. For example, you don't rinse the dish, you 'rench' it. Druid Hill Park is Droodle Park. Believe me, it gets a lot worse.

But is Duzzy around tonight?

8. surprised_by_witches

No, me again, cuz I just had to ask: how do you pronounce fog?

I can't imagine it any other way except rhyming with dog.

Please enlighten me so I can sleep better. :D

I'm guessing Lynet again because I know she'll answer my question ... eventually.

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Nah, it's me!!! :D 123 asked about a Cockney accent ...the easiest way to hear what one doesn't sound like is to watch **** Van Dyke mangle the noble speech of olde easte London in Mary Poppins. More aurfen'ic cockernee can be 'eard in the flick of the Lionel Bart masterpiece Oliver. Me dad was almost a cockney 'imslef but as 'e wuz born souf of the rivva it don't count. But he did fall orf Tower Bridge when 'e were a nipper.

Although I've lived within 20 miles of Birmingham for 35 years the local still deem my accent to be a London one. The clue is in how we say the word: bus. Brummies (Birmingham folks) say "buzz" with the u sound being more like the short oo sound in book, whereas I say "bas" :eek:

Here endeth today's lesson :rolleyes:

Babe?

10. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Let me see now. When the doctor tells you to open your mouth and say 'aaah' I think that's about how I sound: fahg :p

When you hold an unhappy baby and sooth him with aaawww, I guess that's the sound that most people think of when they say: dawg ;)

Never paid much attention to phonetics in the dictionary and I'm too lazy at 8 am to get off my duff and look it up. I'm just talking to myself right now. :D

Kristal? Are you here?

11. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Another example of a cockney accent: The actor who played Fredrick Fleet in "Titanic": You know, the lookout that sighted the iceburg, "Iceburg Right Ahead!"

I can't do any accents except my own hillbilly/southern drawl. :( I have a friend here who has me say the name of a neighboring town, "Rocky Mount" because she thinks I say it funny. I say it as two seperate words and put an emphasis on the "Mount". The native Carolinians say it as one word and put an emphasis somewhere on the middle of "Rocky".

I just think I say it correctly, and they do not. :rolleyes: :p

Ummmm, Mirelly?

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL :D I love American accents. Actually I love all accents except one that I won't mention for fear of upsetting its speakers :eek:

Michelle? Your turn, dear.

13. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I want to hear this one! It's not our lovely midwest "Min-nah-soda" acccent is it? Yah shure...I betcha it is!

What do you think SBW?

14. babewithbrains_14

Or is it the loose mancunian? Lol when people ask what school I go to to, it comes out as 'alaloows'. It's actually All Hallows!

Mirelly, I'm interested now!

15. surprised_by_witches

I've done my best to avoid obtaining the Minnesota accent but I'm afraid it's crept in. I think I have what Babe would call "Posh" Minnesotan, that is, Minnesotan but with proper diction.

Fahg, hmmm ... sounds like you should be living in Maine, is all, Lynet.

I just ordered my new video card!!!! Yeah!!! My computer genius friend found me the right one to order and will help me when I can't figure out which slot it goes in. What would I do without him?

I also ordered Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD, the entire series in one lovely box set. I can't wait until it arrives. Y'all may have to do without me for a week or two. :D

Let's see ... 123?

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Actually I grew up in an East Midland market town with acurious meld of north south east and west to its local accent. For example a village named Bozeat was pronounced Bo'jh't (accenting the slushy j sound) and another place, Cogenhoe, was Cooknah ... we had fun with strangers :rolleyes: 'n oi la-arfed! :D BTW the church of my childhood was All Hallows (Awe-Lalloes as we used to say :rolleyes: )

To my mind the beauty of English is that its speakers can understand each other no matter how far apart they live ... they just have to speak slowly :p must be why english speakers go through the ludicrous process of speaking english slowly to Frenchmen the better the help them understand ... well it works on a geordie ;)

Oh yeah ... erm ... Babe help me out here!

17. babewithbrains_14

I ill not! I'm in a stubborn mood.

Grrr.

Can't be bothered. *Sits, thinks.* Nope. Too much effort.

I've dyed my hair! Again! I always dye it red, with those wash in and out things. I'm now a hot redhead!!!

1243?

18. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

You meant me, right? :rolleyes: I've always wanted to get highlights, but now I think it might make my skin look browner, and Asians never want tans.

Um...SBW?

19. surprised_by_witches

Ding ding! You win the prize.

Asians never want tans? I had no idea. I'll have to ask my friend Kim if she agrees. :D

I can't tan. I'm tan-pigment impaired. I freckle like mad, though.

Lynet? You there?

20. babewithbrains_14

Yep 123, I meant you. :eek:

I never tan. I sat in the sun longer than my Dad in South Africa, and I come home looking like a tourist who covered up in factor 3 zillion all the time, while he just looks like a local. :mad:

I'm now going to guessssssssssss....ssss..ss.s.s.s.sssssssss.......... Josh?