Hard or Complicated.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PhilipTarbuck, Apr 26, 2003.

1. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Hard or Complicated.

There are things that are hard. In some games (well, on occasional game) you are given the various things that can be done with the various things you have to do them with. However, you are not told what the impact of doing something will be and how to get over that particular problem. These can be really hard games.
    In other games there are a number of alternative routes, each one of which is fully explained and over which you have no option - you accept a route or not. The impact of accepting the route is fully explained and the alternatives open to you after you have accepted that route. Most of the games are like this.
    On the other hand there are games that simply ask you to do something and if you do it quickly and accurately enough you have passed.
    Which type of game do you prefer?
    Or, perhaps, you don't understand what I am trying to talk about?

2. Colonel Froggie

Colonel Froggie Lord of the Frogs

I kinda like the ones that gives you options and tell you the impact of them, but it all depends on the game. In an RPG perhaps, i enjoy the open-ended do whaterver you want kind of style, but not al the time. It al really depends on the game, but giving you options and explaining them at least partially is the wa to go for me on a game that isn't open ended (i'm not sure if that's the rigt phrase)
    And then again, maybe you don't understand me either ;)

3. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

No, I must admit that I don't. If you know what the answers will be to the courses you take at all times then the game may be complicated, but it is not hard. If you do not know and have to figure it out for yourself and not from a book then the game is probably hard, but not complicated, although it could, I suppose, be both. A first person shooter can't be hard, can it?

4. Bookworm42

Bookworm42 Oh No! Bathtime!

I like some of the quest type games where you have to make a decision based on the clues or evidence you have discovered prior to that point but find myself easily frustrated when I cannot figure out how to get past a certain point... or I discover that I have neglected to get something vital and end up having my character killed because I neglected to look under a bush or something earlier in the game...

Is this sort of what you were talking about Philip? I enjoy trying to figure out riddles, etc. but, unfortunately, I am not brilliant at it and am always searching for good hint books on some games because I always end up stuck somewhere!! Oh, Brain, why do thee mock me!!! :O

5. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I think that some of it depends on whether you are open minded or closed minded. If you are closed minded you come to decisions quickly and, if you are clever, many of them will be right. If you are open minded you will take a good deal longer to come to a decision, but more of them will be right if you are clever.

6. Colonel Froggie

Colonel Froggie Lord of the Frogs

I'm just gonna stop reading this thread whil i'm still sane..........:p:p
    nah, just kidding.....but I enjoy those games that are open -ended, but still give you information about your choices, to clarify my earlier post. And a first person shoot CAN be hard.

7. hataz_gon_hate

hataz_gon_hate Be Nice

wow...i like the way everyone says too long things and i get bored readin so i just reply with a stupid reply like this one...

8. Billie

Billie New Member

:eek: Does it really matter?
    Personally, preferring micro-management myself, Attention to details, no matter how insignificate they seem, usually results in more fun for me.:D

9. Bookworm42

Bookworm42 Oh No! Bathtime!

LOL Billie and Hataz! I'm afraid that while I enjoy these discussions, I often find myself feeling rather confused as to whether I answered the "real" question or ended up going off on some tangent!!....so much for my "supposed" education!! lol
    I also find the simplest games can become confusing when I am tired or trying to play plus talk to children, plus talk in chat, etc. Plus once I've made it through a quest-type game...I usually never want to play the game again....I suppose because that is usually the only way through the game so there is no challenge in trying to find another route... If this post makes no sense, it's because it's 2 a.m. here and I'm really tired...please note my previous comment about tiredness...lol My apologies to you all!! :)

10. Billie

Billie New Member

No apology needed, Bookworm. That's usually when the fun starts. Half awake answers are usually the most entertaining. You should read some of mine, I usually don't get to come here to talk until way after I should have been to bed.

11. hataz_gon_hate

hataz_gon_hate Be Nice

i didnt even bother readin the 1st post when i saw the replies soooooo loooong

12. viskamiro

viskamiro New Member

Games are only hard if they are multi-player and you're playing against me... :p

13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I find any game that's successful a challenge in the first place...otherwise it wouldn't be successful in the first place :)

14. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I think that a game which has a variety of options leading to a variety of options, leading ....etc. might be hard. It can be made hard by not knowing exactly what are the right options. Why should you not know? Because they depend upon ordinary sense - for example, the less you pay for an article, the more money you are likely (not necessarily) to make on it. Apply that (sometimes against the advice given to you by the developers) and you might win (on the other hand you might not.)
    It is getting dreadfully complicated isn't it? I shall have to go and have a lie down and hope I feel better later.

15. hataz_gon_hate

hataz_gon_hate Be Nice

oh i get it....lol

16. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Games like myst have one way through it and the trick is finding it. I find it a challenge but sometimes lose interest when the trail is soooooooooo long.

Games like 'the sims' are like playing with a whole bunch of doll houses, open ended, and different because you don't really win, but you don't lose either.

RPG online are hard often because there are so many people playing at the same time. And sometimes the experienced player are just plain mean and beat up on the newbies. They would be better if the numbers were limited.

Is this what you were talking about?

17. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I am finding it difficult to say exactly what I mean. A complicated game is a game where there are plenty of alternatives, some of which may be better than others, but each of them has a predictable result. And you know about the result before you take the course of action through information supplied by the developer/publisher.
    In other games you have no real idea of the result of taking any particular course of action - a bit like life really. This is the result when the developer/publisher doesn't supply sufficient information, or there is no strategy guide, or the game is left deliberately that way to make it hard. Such a game is a great test of 'stickability'. Or, I suppose, the developer might not realise that that would be the result of issuing such a game - on the other hand he might.
    Or I might be just be talking a load of rubbish. My new name is trypist - a typist of trype? I don't think so, though. A really hard game seldom gets taken up by the masses who just want to win at all times for all purposes.

18. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

when my daughter was little there were some adventure books, I forget exactly what they were called, but throughout the story you had to make decisions about what you would do next. Then you turned to the pages that continued that story. If you made the right choice the story ended happily but sometimes it just ended. Like that?

19. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Not quite. There are always decisions to be made in games. In some games you know what will be the result of each of the various courses of action which are open to you. In others you do not know exactly what the outcome will be. You have to rely upon knowledge outside the game itself and a guess as to the rules of the game you are playing. It is this type of game which is hard. The type when you know what the outcome will be to any particular course of action may be difficult and it may be complicated but it is not hard. The other type of game, where you are not entirely sure of the consequences, may be hard and it may be extremely hard but it is not too difficult or complicated.
    One of the troubles with the hard game is that you never know which particular decision was right in the sense that you achieved the goals which the game set for you because there is no final result except for whether or not you scored the requisite number of points to count for a first class victory.
    I think that once you have 'twigged' (got the hang of) a hard game then it becomes an easy game. A complicated game will probably remain complicated.
    As I said, I am not sure whether it is 'all my eye and Peggy Martin'.