Troubleshooting - HELP - Buy + Build mode disabled permenantly

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Canuck, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Canuck

Canuck New Member

- HELP - Buy + Build mode disabled permenantly

I've just been having this problem recently. I'll build a house and move the sims in, and after about an hour of play time, the buy and build mode buttons go grey, and are un-clickable, like this:

[​IMG]

It does the same thing during a fire, or a burglary, but when it happens to me there is no fire or burglary. Can anyone tell me how to fix this. It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Where did you buy the game? It is possible that you have a pirated copy.

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If you are not using a pirated copy or trying to use a noCD hack, then it is a weird problem and we'd like to know more. If it goes from normal to this, it's a problem. (If you are using a pirated copy or a noCD hack, this is normal and not something that we can help you with as they are *meant* to do this with those situations.)

Do you have any pics from when it *wasn't* greyed out? That would be helpful.

Also, have you downloaded anything (like a house or hacks) or changed anything on your computer (such as installing a new CD or DVD burner with different software than you'd been using previously)?

4. Canuck

Canuck New Member

No, it's a store bought, DVD edition copy. I'm using the CD as well, and I haven't downloaded anything.

Here's a photo of it acting normally.

[​IMG]

I can try uninstalling it and re-installing it, but it's rather time consuming.

Thanks for the help.

5. KatAnubis

I suspect that you mean that you're using the DVD (instead of using a noCD hack.)

I'm going to pass this along to some others who need to know that this is happening. They may not know how to fix it, but will try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

However, you may need to uninstall/reinstall it. If that works, it would be great (as it takes less time to do that than it does to figure out what's wrong some times.) At least it isn't the CD version with its 4 discs or the old game with its many EPs. Just remember to save your neighborhood (on a CD or at least on the desktop) stuff so that you haven't lost your people.

6. KatAnubis

This is what I was told by another SimMaster who know this stuff more than I do:

"I've heard of (and experienced) instances of this when Sims died of old age (pre patch) and after they had adopted a child and the social worker had been by (after the patch) This doesn't sound as if either is the case though. Does she have a lot of families in that particular hood? Might be a case of that particular family file being bad in some way? Guessing off the top of my head here.

Can't really come up with a good sollution to this .... only a fix: the modthesims2 insiminator has an option that lets you enable the save option if its greyed out. Might be worth a try if she dares "

The other message I got (from a Maxis employee:( "
    hmm. strange. good advice to reinstall. I haven't seen this sort of thing before- have you?"

Hopefully this helps you.

7. thedabara

thedabara New Member

Having the same problem

Funny, I am having the exact same problem. I posted this on the Sims 2 BBS and was told that it could be a corrupted lot...it was suggested that I move them to another place. I will try that and let you know what happened, but so far everything I have tried didn't fix the problem[including re-installing the game]

8. Canuck

Canuck New Member

Well, I managed to fix the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the game. So far I haven't had any further problems.

It wasn't just one lot though. It was any lot in any town, so i'm not sure what caused it. Anyways, thanks for all the help and advice.

9. KatAnubis

I'm glad it worked for you.

I had to uninstall and reinstall my game today too. I have no clue what I did to it last night but I couldn't get it to start. (I'd been sorting download files but that shouldn't have done it.) When I did the "ctrl-alt-delete" the task manager said that it wasn't responding. I just plain couldn't get it to even get past the first The Sims thing that starts it. It wouldn't go to the EA Games screens.

Fortunately, I was able to save all my games and everything is back to working normally. But I was pretty worried about it not working. (I was afraid that I would lose my saved games. I just this week got my neighborhood where it's ready for TS2U and it would have taken me about 2 months to get it back to this point. Not something I wanted to contemplate!)

But again, I'm really glad you were able to get it to work again. On to the fun!