Help! Im Goin Mad!

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by juicylucy1989, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Kangaroo

Kangaroo New Member

it doesn't matter where you put it, Downloads, Objects or Userobjects

2. RentechD

RentechD New Member

Most of us site owners and object makers do follow the original policy that Maxis set up for their download add ons - and tell people to unzip to /downloads or create .exe files that extract to a subdirectory of /downloads. On the other hand many of us have tested putting objects in both places and other then some game performance issues when you get too many objects in /userobject have seen no real difference.

I think the bottom line is that neither place wrong. I am not sure why Maxis created a userobjects and then puts their stuff in downloads - but the original userobject directory may have been created earlier in development and then they decided to go with /downloads either for clarify for users - or because it handles greater numbers of files better. The clarity issue might have been that if you have duplicate objects in different places it could cause an issue with the game - if everything is in downloads that avoids it.

I have tried subdirectories in the /userobject folder and it really slows the game down so I have assumed that Maxis suggested the /downloads directory - and uses it themselves since it seems to handle subdirectories better. But user made .FAR files seem to do better in /userobjects.

I always test any object I create in both places to make sure it shows up whether a user puts it in one or the other directory.

But I think your fine using either directory

3. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

For me...I put all .iff files into my userobjects...far files into downloads

4. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Yeah, I've been putting everything in user objects unless it has instructions with it saying put it in downloads, and all of the .far files have said to put them in downloads....

5. lewdini

Well....the rest like skins and floors are quite self explanatory

6. RentechD

RentechD New Member

Of course, once you get HD, VAC and Unleashed we can get into the 'where do skins go" discussion, since there is Skins Buy in both HD and Unleashed. But sinks in the HD skins buy folder show up for HD and VAC but will not show up in Old Town - for those you need to put skins in the shared Skins Buy... of course you can put then there for HD and Vac too, or just in SKins Buy in Epansion pack 3 skins buy for HD.

Confused yet?

Can;t wait to see what goes in what folders for Sims Online...

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Good lord...I'm even more confused.

8. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

:confused:
    yeah!

But I stick to what I know works until I get Unleashed.
    Haven't downloaded houses yet at all... so...

9. Sim_CRAZY

Sim_CRAZY New Member

Help! I need a Garage! If you want more downloads,
    try looking at www.trinketsandtreasures.com.
    They have more than 30 cars! I like that place!

10. RentechD

RentechD New Member

Garages are as problematic as cars... they sort of sit there. Several sites have made garage door wall paper but I assume you want a garage with a door that works...?

11. reniusa

reniusa New Member

STP carly has some new garage doors, not sure if they are wallpaper or not. Don't think so......but not entirely sure.

:)

12. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

hmmmm... for a garage door that opens... maybe someone could make it out of something you turn on and off, like a light? They could have the closed view for off and the open garage view as on... or vice versa... hmmmm.....

13. lewdini

Well...why do u want garage doors that work when cars dont??
    Lol

14. reniusa

reniusa New Member

Good point Lew!!! ROFL

We are so silly when it comes to our simmies. ;)

15. RentechD

RentechD New Member

Well, some sims use garages for things other then cars.. I mean its great place to put a work bench and a washer/dryer or work out equipment...

Turn on turn off would work - but I don't know of any lights that are two tiles wide... If someone knows of a light that is two tiles wide... let me know

16. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Sure thing RentechD.

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

17. lewdini

Those little guys...we just want the best for them dont we

18. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Of course and now there is a thread with different sites for garages/cars for anyone to try out. It's good if comments about those sites goes in there too.
    And sure enough we're trying to pamper our sims..

;););)

19. lewdini

I wouldnt mind a car that works...too bad theres no way