Hostess to close, cites nationwide worker strike

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Nov 17, 2012.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Twinkie maker Hostess to wind down ops, lay off 18,500 workers, put brands up for sale

Hostess, the maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread, plans to go out of business, lay off its 18,500 workers and sell its snack cake and bread brands.

The Irving, Texas, company said a nationwide strike crippled its ability to make and deliver its products, which also include Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's and Home Pride bread.

Hostess suspended bakery operations at all its factories and said its stores will remain open for several days to sell already-baked products.

The company had warned employees that it would file a motion in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to unwind its business and sell assets if plant operations didn't return to normal levels by Thursday evening. The privately held company filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hostess-close-cites-nationwide-worker-123953115.html

NOOOO! TWINKIES! :cry:

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Frankly, I think we can do without all their products. None of them are healthy. I feel sorry for the workers however.

3. ManagerJosh

Not even "Wonder Bread" is healthy? :eek:

4. KatAnubis

Wonderbread has all the good parts of the wheat removed so all it is basically is pure carbohydrate without any vitamins or fiber. Yuck!

5. ManagerJosh

I thought Wonder Bread was being touted as the bread with all tie vitamins.

6. KatAnubis

It's the classic white bread, not anything with "all the vitamins."

7. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Considering all the knock-off versions of Twinkies and Ding Dongs (need I say the Great Value stuff from Wally World) I dare say they'll be missed.
    Still it sucks for all the people without a job when this is all said and done.

8. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I assume "Wonderbread" is the same as our "Wonderwhite". Aka white bread with all the grains goodness removed, and then artificial vitamins and minerals added. Also known as the best kind of bread. ;)
    Can't say I've eaten any of those snacks. They don't look very good to me anyway.

9. KatAnubis

Sounds like it. A lot of people like it because it's familiar even though it isn't very good for humans.

10. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

You mean it's actually good for some kind of living thing? I wouldn't feed it to the ducks.