House brag thread

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by surprised_by_witches, May 2, 2006.

1. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Just looking at the 3 houses on this page

And, wow!! Makes me feel a little inadequate with my own building styles. LOL

Cabinet: Very pretty house. And, great job on the basement. I can't do a basement that I'm happy with, so I'm really impressed.

SBW: Witch Baby is awesome!! Sign that girl up for archetecture school! Or, at least, start saving now. :rolleyes:

Mirelly: Yep, you should win the MATY contest, hands down. :)

2. Sylla

Sylla New Member

I've recently just gotten back into making houses, usually I'm too lazy to do them myself lol... Here are a couple I did recently...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Oooh! So cute. I love them both.

4. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

very nice Sylla... let me know when you want to share....;)

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hey, nice work, Sylla and long time no see :D Don't be such a stranger! (And I'd like those houses as well if you decide to upload them. They have a nice "real" look and would look great in a neighborhood even if I didn't actually play them as sim homes ... though those look compact enough to play well.

6. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

I weep in envy.

7. Simon-Grey

Simon-Grey New Member

Haha as do I, Mirelly your truely amazing at building Sim houses, I give the Award to you in my book, but everyone else is still awesome!! Everything is better than what I can do, maybe ill start practicing :p

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Sylla inspired me ... ;)

I have a family that badly needs a new home. They lost their original home in the OFB Re-Nu-U orb debacle and they've been pretty much gypsies ever since camping out in ridiculous buildings that were thrown together with scant regard for function. Anyway due to a mishap with the coin tossing Momma French is anticipating the arrival of child number 4 :eek: and their house is so awful ... a great sprawling post-modern nightmare where every room seems to be located with maximum inconvenience in mind.

Anyway I built them a purple palace to raise the new junior member in. A five bedroom marvel of spacial economy, on two floors plus a huge cellar under the entire ground floor suitable for all those cellary needs. The upper floor contains four family bedrooms (all with ensuite shower rooms) plus a massive open area easily large enough for a pool table plus a lot more.

Downstairs is a master bedroom with his and hers bathrooms and private access to a large separate nursery. The front door, handily located with feet of the mailbox, is close, but not too close, to the twin-footed stairs as well being close to a homeworking area and the large double width archway that access the kitchen dining area. To the left of the front door is a cosy open-plan lounge where the residents may watch TV, dance or read. At the back of the entrance hall is a door giving access to the rear garden and a cloakroom.

Access to the cellar is lockable to keep visitors out.

5 Pics:
    1. Long shot
    2. Close up
    3. Plan view of roof/cellar
    4. Plan of ground floor
    5. Plan of upper floor

Attached Files:

• d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      74.6 KB
      Views:
    • cu.jpg
      cu.jpg
      File size:
      59.3 KB
      Views:
    • roofcellar.jpg
      roofcellar.jpg
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      75.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      74.6 KB
      Views:
  9. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

That is one cool hacienda, Senorita.

10. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

Usually I take the default houses in the house bin and place them in my blank neighborhoods. I'm not much of an architect, just a genetics obsessed writer. :eek:

On my laptop, though, I started a Legacy-type family and attempted to build a house for the founder (as I refer to her as "Good Kiara," I didn't want to lose a pretty face to the forces of evil again :rolleyes: ) and her family. I took pictures of them and the house complete with floorplan overhead shots, but my brother is playing Sims at the moment. After seeing what I had done with Kiara, he wanted to start a Legacy challenge as well. Unfortunately, whereas Kiara Gonzales Cormier has been blessed with baby boys three in a row, Garko Salvadori has been blessed with baby girls three in a row, the second birth giving him twin girls! :D See Al? That's what happens when you marry your guy to Jan Tellerman. ;)

11. Sylla

Sylla New Member

Thanks for the lovely compliments guys!! And I'm glad to be your inspiration Mirelly!!
    Here's the floor plans to those houses, they are both easily playable, haven't had any problems so far...

This is the blue house...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And you are more than welcome to upload it form http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=2010181

OFB is needed for the cone roof, other than that, it's all maxis content (I think).

And the red house I had to remove all the content that wasn't maxis so it looks a bit different now, and I belatedly realised you couldn't get to the second floor so had to add some steps lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But your more than welcome to have it in your game and that d/l is here: http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7830240

I wanted the pics as thumbnails cos I hate to take up so much of the page, but i couldn't figure out how to do it and I bet it's something stupidly simple that I am missing...

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Two houses downloaded! Thank you! I feel such a heel that I am not uploading any houses at the moment. I use Pescado's mod to synchronise my families and removing it from the downloads folders causes me to have to reinstall it individually in each playable house. BTW although I donwloaded your two houses for eye-candy for the neighborhood screen the blue house looks perfectly playable from the outset and it has scope for tweaks to fine-tune ... something that I try to go to a lot of trouble to design out of mine cos I'm a born tinkerer so by deeply complicating my floor plans I sap the will of my player-self to contemplate wall moving ... move one wall in one of my properties and you pretty much end up having to move them all :rolleyes:

LOL. You're welcome to uploaded images using the manage file attachments button a little further down the Post Topic/Post Reply page/form. It appears below the Submit Reply/Preview Post buttons under the section named Additional Options. Note that the additional options are not available if you use the quick reply reply button ... you'd need to activate the advanced controls by hitting the Go Advanced button.

13. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

I'm very impressed with all the great work I see here. There's so much talent, it's amazing!

By comparison, most of my houses turn out kinda crappy. :eek: The pictures below are probably of my best house. It's a 5BR, 3BA Victorian.... and unfortunately, I can't seem to make a cheap house! This one is around $218,000. :p If any of you have any tips to make it more attractive, please, let me know! :D

Now for what you're actually seeing... the first view is kind of obvious. The second picture is a view of the second floor, and the gthird picture is a picture of the first floor. The fourth picture is a sample of the interior (in this case, the front parlor/living room/whatever you want to call it), and the final picture is of the kitchen.

-John

PS. If any of you would like the house, let me know and I'll upload it to one of those sites that host files only--somehow, I just don't feel right linking to a download on another sims site.

14. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Thankyou Sylla, it took me a minute or two to figure out your service, but if I can, anyone can.

John thats a really neat house you made there. I love the kitchen by the way.

15. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

I never even thought of making porches that wrap around the corner of a house...:eek: Mine are all just big squares in the beginning. After a while they get interesting shapes with all the rooms I add on, but they're still not designed nicely...no cool stairs or anything like that. I once used the in-house foundation to make stairs with a landing, but that's not all that cool either.

16. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Thank you Michelle. :) Funny thing is, I had to rebuild the thing at least three times. The first time I completed it and the lot was too big. Second time, completed it, decided the lot was too small. This time it's just right :p (It's almost a Goldilocks story!)

Person123: If I was designing my own houses, I'd admit to that. My houses used to be big squares unfortunately. But I've found sites like www.coolhouseplans.com and www.globalhouseplans.com, which really help me out as far as design is concerned. More or less, I go on and look for a house that is visually interesting (and Sims friendly, lol) from the outside. If the layout works, that's all well and good, but most of the time I'll adapt it so the interior is more... custom.

I've yet to make a house with the L-shaped stairs or anything interesting like that. But now that I have OFB with that split level foundation-y thing, it should be more readily possible. I'll have to experiment some :p

Thanks again,
    John

17. Sylla

Sylla New Member

That is a brilliant house John!! The design is beautiful. And thanks for the links to those site, they will be very handy in the future.

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I echo everyone else, John. A very pretty house both from the outside as well as nicely decorated and furnished inside. I would want to rearrange the inside room layout a little ... mainly to create small private bathrooms for the upstairs bedrooms but that's just a little quirk of mine :rolleyes: Mostly I design by starting at the front door and sketching out where the traffic is going to pass between there and such important places as the homework dumping spot (kids and teens can waste so much of a day trekking just to put down their homework). I try to make every one different because after that it's a case of seeing what rooms can be fitted around that area (I count the stairs, if any, as a "room". I try to keep each room as small as possible without making it cramped, so kitchen areas are generally 4 or 5 by 3 or 4 with dining areas in the same general size area. Living rooms can be any sort of size really because sims don't really need them except as a place to watch TV ... Sometimes I like to make the lving room and integral part of the reception hall as in my recent brag. Once I have a ground floor mapped out that I like I try to avoid messing with again and sweat blood trying to shoehorn everything else the house needs within the same profile of the upper storeys. It doesn't always work :rolleyes:

19. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

First, let me say thanks for the compliments! :)

Mirelly: LOL... if nothing else, TS2 will teach one how to use "trial and error"--but, one could say, "It's more fun that way." For me, the size of the room all depends on what the room's going to be (although, planning out the areas for the kids homework and whatnot is a pretty good idea.) Personally, I always put two "living" areas in the house--a formal parlor, and a TV room (one of my quirks). You are right in that each of the rooms on the top floor should've had their own baths--it'd have been a good idea.

But I digress. Back on track, I build houses the same way--from the foyer through where I think the flow of traffic will most likely go. But it has been known to result in a funky looking house :p

-John

20. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Doncha hate it when that happens?

It's like that Woody Allen joke (or if it wasn't Woody Allen then it sounds like it was ... the one about if you wanna make God laugh tell Him your plans for the future ....)

I built them a lovely 5 bedroom house cos mom was expecting child number 4 and what happens?

Attached Files: