Troubleshooting how do expansion packs work?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by bacalacadaca, May 3, 2007.

1. bacalacadaca

bacalacadaca New Member

how do expansion packs work?

when u install them do they add on to your current sims 2 game?

or do they create a new game file?

2. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

They ad to your current game. :classic:

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

They create a new game .exe file in a new sub-directory of Program Files/EA Games/ But many of the original files remain because they are also used by the new game file. Your saved game files are rebuilt to conform to the new features added by the expansion pack. This process cannot be undone, so backing up is essential if you think you might wish to return to the pre-expanded game as you left it.

4. muffin-tacos

Terribley sorry for giving you the wrong answer! I missunderstood your question! What can I say? Skim reading isn't the best way to read posts for me, I guess.

(*Tut tut* I should really stop doing that. :eek:gre: )

5. bacalacadaca

bacalacadaca New Member

no its cool

but so if i where to buy the latest sims expansion i can delete all the older sims games i have installed because the newer one will have all the features?

for example if the latest is night life and the older ones are al the rest will night life be the only game il have to open up to have all the other features that come in bussiness,seasons and so on?

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

:eek: No! The old games features are stored in the original locations. The expansion pack accesses all previous installations. You need to keep everything, I'm afraid.

7. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

Each new expansion pack you get will add new content to your base game.
    For example, university adds a whole new age group (young adults) and a choice to send your sims to university to get better jobs. This is something that doesn't get added with any other expansion pack.
    However, the turn ons and turn offs that get added from Nightlife is something that does get added with some of the later expansion packs too. If you have for example Nightlife and Seasons the things that come in both packs will just be written over instead of you needing to delete anything.
    To actually run the game you will only be able to use the latest expansion pack disk that has been added to your game.

8. bacalacadaca

bacalacadaca New Member

ok so to have every feature i need to run celebration stuff expansion and il have every feature the game has to offer

can i just run the sims 2 game the first one not any expansion and still get the features?

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Celebration Stuff is not an Expansion Pack it is a Stuff Pack.

It will depending on what other Expansion Packs you already have as to which game disc you need to have in the drive to run the game. If you install Celebrations, the game manual will explain which disc you need to run the game after installation. As always Read The Manual First!

Expansion means make larger. Once your game is expanded you don't go back to the original version because the original is now part of of the expanded game.

Frankly I am puzzled by your apparent inability to grasp this simple idea.

Although expansion packs can be uninstalled in theory, I regard the process as risky and it should not be done. If you did uninstall an expansion you would certainly and definitely lose all your saved games.

If you buy an expansion pack and some parts of it you don't like, then just done't use them.

If your concern is about you whether your computer can handle an expansion (disc space, memory, processor, graphics) then click Start >> Run >> type in dxdiag and hit [ENTER]

Post the results from the System and Display tabs here we'll tell you what's what.

10. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

I'm assuming here you don't even have the sims2 game yet, because if you did you would know that you can play the sims2 quite well without having any expansions or stuff packs, but you will NOT get any features from any of the expansion packs or stuff packs.
    What would be the point in Maxis making them if all the features were already in the base sims2 game?
    :ponder:

11. bacalacadaca

bacalacadaca New Member

yes i do own them but now i have a problem everything is installed in order from sims 2 all the way to family fun stuff but when i try installing the new expansion after that glamour life it reads it as family fun stuff and it screws up after that so i can only play all the way to family fun stuff withought any problems

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

*sigh*

Now we get to the truth ... :rolleyes:

Please post a list of the expansion packs you have installed ... include in the list the one that "don't work" properly

make a list
    list this
    one item
    per line and
    add (works)
    or (doesn't work)
    after each item

That way we might start to get to the bottom. Sheesh.

3.25am I'm off to bed.

13. bacalacadaca

bacalacadaca New Member

ok well they all work up too family fun stuff after that it goes to crap because when i install glamour life stuff it reads it as family fun stuff and i dunno if the rest after glamour life stuff have a problem i think its just the glamour pack but heres the list

sims 2(works)
    University(works)
    NightLife(works)
    Open for business(works)
    Family Fun Stuff (works)
    Glamour Life(doesent work)
    and the rest up to seasons
    but i think its the glamour is the problem but im not sure

14. bacalacadaca

bacalacadaca New Member

15. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Always remember to use the last expansion disk that you installed.
    Eg If you had sims 2 and installed season, then only use the seasons disk. Do not even try to start the game with sim2 disk, and if wanted to add OFB do not use Sim2 original. Or it will ruin the entire game. This is with every EXPANSION.:) And remeber to install the first to the last in order of creation. Its not a good idea to I nstall sims 2 then seasons, then OFB. Eg sim2, OFB, Seasons. And as Mirelly said. Stuff packs are different to expansions.And do not try starting the game with a stuff pack. I'm pretty sure this is how It goes. However I stand to be corrected.

regards moon

16. muffin-tacos

Wait a minute here... This old mop (meaning me of course :eek:) is confused. If I buy a stuff pack, I shouldn't start the game that disc? Why? :boggled:

17. MegRen

MegRen New Member

I don't think the game will let you start it with a Stuff Pack disk. If you do try to use one of those, it usually tells you to insert the disk from the last EP you installed.

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

It doesn't matter, actually. The game will NOT start with the wrong disc. If you start it with a stuff pack disc that's because your combination of stuff and expansion packs requires it. You cannot

(let me repeat that word ...
    CANNOT
    OK
    ? Clear enough :p )

start the game with the wrong disc.

19. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

I put sims 2 accidently after I installed seasons. The game did not start but it stuffed seasons. I ended up at the beginning. Lost al my familys in seasons. lol

20. muffin-tacos

Wow I can hardly see that it's so small! *squints* Hmm, what does it say? Something about cheese? :silly: