How Do I How do I download

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by KindraHeart2, Jan 31, 2005.

1. KindraHeart2

KindraHeart2 New Member

How do I download

I've only been playing Sims 2 for a month now. I see all the cool clothes to down load. But can't figure out how to get them in the game,it's so diffreant than Sims 1. Can you help me please. :confused:

2. SlayrWanab

SlayrWanab New Member

Same prob

I'm having the same problem. I have all these clothes I have downloaded and none of them show up. What am I doing wrong? Where am I supposed to download clothes packages? I need help please.:ponder:

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You are so right. It is *very* different than Sims 1. You may know some of this, but I'm going to post my whole "usual blurb" on the subject just to make sure I don't accidently leave out something that you need.

When you first download something, put it someplace other than in the downloads area. (I have a special file called "unprocessed downloads".) Some of the files will come naked (no Zip or Rar) but some come included in a Zip or RAR file format (to make it easier to download.)

The files which come in a zip file can be opened with WinZip which comes with Windows XP. You just double click on the zip file and you can work with the contents.

If you don't have WindowsXP, then you'll need to download WinZip. You can find it here: http://www.winzip.com/winzip.htm

This one may also be used instead: http://www.powerzip.biz/

Some files (mostly from Europe) come in RAR form. It's like Zip but made by a different company. Powerzip can do those as well, but the WinRar itself is here: http://www.rarlab.com/

Once you have access to the "naked" file, they come in two types: self installing and ones which need to be manually put in the game.

The self installing ones have .sims2skins or .sims2pack as their extension. All you need to do with those is double click on them. You'll get a blue screen asking if you want to install the content. If you click install (and the file isn't corrupted, which usually means you need to redownload it), a second blue screen pops up saying that the content has been successfully installed.

The other form is the .package file. Those you put into the specific user part of My Documents (not the All User or Shared My Documents). It goes in My Documents\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\downloads.

Occasionally you'll come across a download which doesn't have an extension. I've found several of those on SimStuff. What you can do is rename it to add either a .zip extension. If that's what it was supposed to be, then you can just go from there. Or try adding the .sims2pack to it. If you can install it, then that was the right one. I supposed as a last resort you could try .package, but that might mess up your game, whereas trying the other two won't do that. If you then still have a problem, then report it to the website (if it has a mechanism for that) or (if it doesn't have a specific mechanism) PM the person who *made* the download. (PMing other people often causes confusion, especially if I'm the one who gets PMd. I don't deal with downloads other than as a fellow Simmer.)

I hope this helps.