SimCity 4 How to Not Go Bankrupt?

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by ManagerJosh, Jan 18, 2003.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

How to Not Go Bankrupt?

What are your tips to not go bankrupt? Here are a few general guidelines from my book....

1) Start Small
    2) Encourage growth through commerical and industrial
    3) Adjust taxes according to growth
    4) Don't overtax
    5) Keep within reasonable spending limit
    6) Account for negative income every year.

Have suggestions to not go bankrupt? Feel free to post :)

2. Grey

Grey On the edge of Insanity

Those are all good tips, and they helped out a lot, thanks josh:)

I always find that my comercial areas never develope, i have a high need for commercial zones and yet i layed out some c zones, why don't they develope?

I find that agricultural industrial zones are the best for encouraging growth as they are cheap, take up large areas, and you can place residential zones nearby without any problems:) Also it looks good.

Grey

3. ManagerJosh

Try a low grade commerical like medium to light. As time goes on, you can support heavy commerical

4. jeffmm2

jeffmm2 New Member

City problems in Sim City 4

I have a problem with Sim City 4. I have created about 6 cities so far and they all went bankrupt. Now, I'm making a city, where everything was going smoothly: I was receiving $400 for monthly income....it was even the first time I had seen high valued industrial, commercial, and residential! But then commercial demand started to go down, and it is staying that way for a long time. I even lowered commercial tax down to 0.0 for every density. I tried raising it back up to like 4.0, 2.0, 2.0--then
    it started to go back up, but then a few seconds later it shot right back down. I started to not get as much monthly income---and then I had a load of problems coming--garbage: people complained about it--and this is when I had already built a recycling center, and I decided to build a waste-to-energy plant: that made expences higher than income.. Then there's a
    terrifying message that makes you bankrupt: "Need more powerplants! Can't handle the amount of capacity of power in the city!"...so I planted one.. Then I started losing money... I went from $100,000 to negative $100,000; :angry: then I can't progress in my city anymore.. I tried to raise taxes, but it wouldn't increase like 70 dollars--just very little. I don't think that should be happening, especially when I gradually built up a population of(11,000), and I set out some requirements like an elementary school, three fire stations, parks, bus stops, garbage centers.. I also enacted the power conservation ordinance, but that power adviser keeps on popping up and saying that I need to get more powerplants.

Please help!

Thanks!

5. ManagerJosh

Have you ever considered Dezoning Commerical?

6. jeffmm2

jeffmm2 New Member

No, I never thought of that..

How much commercial would I need to dezone? All of it? Or just a little?

7. ManagerJosh

Dezone about 75% of the empty areas. Or zone lighter areas.

8. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

I've found from simcity 2000 that the amount of industrial should be about 2/3 and commercial about 1/3 of the amount of R-zones when the city is small. The bigger the city the more comemrcials towards industrial will be needed. Seems to be about the same here. Good luck.
    *Wishes she had the game and could try that theory herself*

9. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

well...Residential:Industrial:commerical ratio
    should be like 10 :8: 2 for starters
    Start commercial tax at around 4-5%
    Industrial at 5-6%
    Residential at 7-8%
    Then adjust accordingly to demand

10. RAWR

RAWR New Member

Funding everything seperatley, bulk funding can mean giving a college a huge buffer, but leaving elementary schools with no funding whatsoever, so its a good idea to go to all your buildings and fund accordingly. If something has a huge amount of funding, but a tiny amount of people, fund it down until you have a buffer of about 50-60 to allow growth. If something needs more funding, then do so. This can save you alot of money.

Making sure your not wasting too much money and keeping the sims happy can be tough, but its rewarding once you start raking in the cash :p

11. ManagerJosh

It is matter of finding the perfect budget to address everything. You can have everything offset. Otherwise you have a crisis.