How Do I Howdo I move family to another neighbour

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Odinmoon, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

How do I move family to another neighbour

Hi all.
    Is it possible to move a family from one neighbourhood to another.
    Regards moon

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yes it is possible, but doing so will cause your game to explode with spam.

Every sim has friends. Those friends are "virtual" - meaning they take up space in the neighborhood. When you move from hood to another they take they virtual friends with them.

eg. Sim Smith knows: Lucy Hanby (maid) and Pao Mellon (mailman) - moves from Pleasantview to Veronaville. Meets Lucy and Pao there. Now check their friends record. They know two Lucys and two Paos. Now when they roll up a want to play with Lucy how will you know which one they want to play with?

Think thats not so bad? Feel free to do it anyway, but better people that me have tried and failed to find a simple way to fix it. It is fixable BTW but you'd be old and grey before you finished.

3. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

And after all that being said, if you still want to do it you just need to package your family up (easiest place would be to your desktop) and then double click the package. next time you open up your game they will be ready to be placed in whichever neighbourhood you choose

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I still say not to do it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. The whole concept of of sharing sims is to use them as template genetic patterns in Create A Sim/Family. If you want a J-Lo don't get one "living" in a house make your own from a downloaded sim from the exchange.

The exchange was set up similar to the one for the original game where sims had no memories. Allowing occupied houses to be exchanged was a mistake, IMO. I only ever downloaded one house with a family, for the original Sims and that nearly broke my game. I ended up abandoning a whole neighborhood at a time when there were only 3. The trouble with downloaded houses, with or without, sims (but really the biggest issue is with occupied houses) is that the person who made it has almost certainly not tested himself, and has no idea as to whether even the mail can be delivered. If they put sims in the house, they have likely hacked them with the testing cheats (eg to give them a few skills ... usually all maxed out ...), which wil probably leave all manner of game-melting erros behind. I'm not saying this is done with malice, just normal carelessness. Many house-builders do what they do for the double-edged ego trip.

First, is the self-satisfaction of making something that is strikingly good to look at (and yes lots of custom houses and custom sims are very pretty. I have houses I downloaded myself, because they make the neighborhood look nice ... I would never dream of playing them, though. The Maxis made ones are hard enough to get to work; I know from experience that most player made homes are as bad, if not worse than Maxis ones, for problem areas where sims get stuck).

The second edge of that ego-trip is the benes and gold stars, which their downloads clock up, from people who rate on appearance, before they even load up the house and see if it is playable. Is that wrong of them? Not really. Is it wrong of me to point this out ... as if it is wrong? Again, not really. I occasionally feel guilty, when I see something very pretty and don't rate it, I would feel even guiltier for those who downloaded a 5-starred house that crashes almost everyone's games, if I was one of those who had so casually dished out the benes without first looking inside the bag, to see if I'd gotten a lemon instead of a pearl. (Almost as bad is the person who never goes back to rate good work when they do find, by testing, a good quality download ... of any sort.)

Ooh is this a rant, or what! :rolleyes:

Don't move occupied houses, or living sims, from one neighborhood to another -- by any means, method, or magic spell -- unless you like having major problems. People who do end up with major problmes caused by ignoring this advice cannot be helped. The neighborhood is destroyed and is not even worth composting.

5. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Thanks for the fast response. Looks like Ill take the advice and not move sims to other neighbourhoods.
    Ill just have to use my talent and start fresh in each Hood.
    Its a pity though. It would be good if the game relied on first and sir names.
    and just lost all thier friends when moving to other nieghbourhoods.
    I would like to keep the family tree going.
    Thanks again for the response
    regards Moon:)