Troubleshooting I followed instructions on how to completely unsintall it before reinstalling BUT...!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by marshaandchester, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK Fine. Sorry I wasn'r around last night. Got distracted by a fillum on the goggle-box (Clint Eastwood and Donald Sutherland! ... not nearly as good as they were in their heyday, eg Kelly's Heros ... now that was a fillum to be sure ... why am I typing with an Oirish accent, begorrah?)

I think we can take it that you have completely extirpated the Sims franchise from your computer. The uninstall key should be the last item than Windows removes from the registry and using copy/paste/find is the surest way to avoid failing to see the wood for the trees. I know I would be tearing out my hair trying to find such gobbledygook amongst such a list of similar looking strings of nonsense :eek:

So ... reinstalling. Place disc one of the game in your CD drive and then tell us exactly what happens. If installation fails to occur, please also supply a dxdiag report - see here for how to do that. OK? I'll be around all day today, and will check in from time to time to see what your responses are. If possible we'll get it nailed down tight before House comes on Channel 5, because by then you'll lose me to tears of laughter as I watch the irascible doctor perform his bad tempered medical miracles on a diet of Vicodin and junk food. :rolleyes:

2. marshaandchester

marshaandchester New Member

First of all..! Right now I am on my sister's account on the computer and I can't log out because she needs to burn a CD and it takes ages for it to log on and off. I tried doing it myself but she needs to delete a song so it fits on the disk.

God.

Lol! I've been going on my account the last few days to check all this and she's gone a bit crazy so I'm not gonna chance that right now! In a few hours I'll be on my own one.

I put the disk into the computer on my sisters account just now and it did practically the same as it does on mine. Disk goes in, whirs a little bit and the hour glass thing pops up a few times next to the cursor the little disk icon appears for like one second, then goes away and then there is no WHIRRING. In My Computer there is absolutely no trace of it in C: or D: .

I dunno if it's any different on my sisters than on my account but these are the dxdiag thingies from the sister's!:

1. Processor: Mobile Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.20GHz
    2. Memory: 222MB RAM
    3. Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    4. Free Space on C: 1.1 GB :eyepopping: (cripes)
    5. 27.9 GB (29,891,143,040 bytes)
    6. DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    7. Name: SiS M650 Rev 00
    8. Main Driver: SiSGRV.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.3592 (English)
    Date: 11/06/2004 22:00:44
    9. Approx. Total Memory: 32.0 MB
    10. Well CD version, University&Nightlife. You know the story with me though lol.
    11. I think you know the nature of my problem! ;)

So that's that. I THINK maybe I installed DirectX 10.0 on my own account because of this hassle but I can't remember! If it's any different I'll write again tonight. I'll come on between 6&7PM ish (on my own account) and stay on until I get this sorted! :)

Kayleigh. x

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh, dear, oh dear, oh dear. You were correct to go cripes at the free space on the disc.

I'm afradi that the disc hasn't enough room to install the game. You need at least 3.5GB of free disc space to install just the base game.
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]800 MHz processor[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]256 MB RAM[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Windows(R) XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000 Operating System.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]A T&L-capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM.[/FONT]
    Personally I wouldn't attemtp to install the base game without at least 7GB of free space ... this is because Windows -- under which the game itself runs -- needs some elbow room to operate.

I suggest you and sis have a long hard look at what you need the puter for. :(

4. marshaandchester

marshaandchester New Member

Hi!!!!!

Hello. Not been on here for a while. (wasn't sure my password would work!) Well I am back. Sister's got her own computer now, and I got people at a computer company to do stuff to my computer and make it faster and have a bit more memory! So it's all good. They like replaced the hard drive or something, I'm not too sure! But when I put in the sims 2 disc, nothing happens still and when I go to the CD drive it seems to think there's nothing there. Anything you want me to show you such as SPECS etc? Some things might be different now, I have about 57GB free nowadays. Please help me. I need The Sims 2. HA I am so cool. :knockedout: Anyone able to give me assistannnnnce? Not meaning to sound annoying but if someone can get back to me ASAP it would be much appreciated.

marshaandchester