I know, I know...

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by suitemichelle, Jan 26, 2007.

1. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

I know, I know...

I know that we are eagerly anticipating weather in the the next ep, but it occurred to me today that I would like to see an ep that would allow my sims to visit their neighbors much like they would a community lot. maybe with the option of walking to... instead of taking the taxi.

What other global modifications would you like to see?

2. Lynet

Lynet New Member

CEILINGS! Ceilings that you can click/hold and spread quickly, like floor tiles.

There are beautiful user-created ceilings available and I have a bunch, but what a CHORE to install, one tile at a time.

I was thinking about this last night as I was going click, click, click, click, click, *yawn*, click... :( ... forever! It's a big lot where I intend to take pictures from sim eye level, and ceilings add a huge something extra to any picture.

I guess this is not technically a global hack, like walking next door to visit, but I sure would like to see this added with the next EP.

*** I am so eager for Seasons. I want a picture of a sim standing at the window looking out at the falling snow. How beautiful that will be. ***

3. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

AMEN TO THAT, Lynet! I want ceilings!

4. Chris

Chris New Member

You can add "ceilings" by placing the white tiled awning across the whole room. This way the supports of the awning disappear and you're left with the ceiling of the awning. Works great!

5. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Good tip!

I want an automatic basement builder. And drag and click flowers like the lots in Sim city, so you could do a large area at once. Also, drag and drop lots! So I could choose my own size.

I would also like to be able to see neighborhood decorations instead of rocks.

And in general, a less buggy game.

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Chris, I never thought of that. What a great idea. I'll try it out tomorrow.

7. Bassoonist

Bassoonist Bassoons rock!

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.

Yeah, I know... we have guitars and stuff... but that's boring. I want an orchestra of functionable instruments, that would be so cool. To bad it's not going to happen.:(

8. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I have a long list of things I'd love to see in the game:
    1) The ability for a Sim to go visit another Sim (as opposed to the other way around where they get visitors come to their house)
    2) I wish we could talk over the fence (friendly like) or watch what the neighbor was doing (other than only the Sim being able to use a telescope to do it. I hate the "furious" that happens if they're doing that. But I'd love them to just be friendly.
    3) More landscaping plants (and not so many which have to be trimmed but things like ornamental grasses and perennials that don't require the "gardener" to have a hissy fit and waste time because you put it on a slope where they can't go.
    4) More building tools.
    5) a grand piano. I really was hoping glamour would have one since NL didn't. I have no clue why they haven't put one in! It would be nice to have more instruments in general, and more variety in the ones that are there (without having to use custom content.)
    6) The ability to merge lots
    7) More things to put into the neighborhood view like hospitals, schools, police station, fire station and other public buildings. I don't want them to be operational lots (as I could build those myself!) but rather placeable ones like the business towers.
    8) The ability to build a house *without* a lot and share it with others. There are many times that I have a house that I like, but I don't like the size of lot it's on (especially Maxis houses). It would be nice not to have to build it bit by bit but to pick up just the house and place it on a lot of any size.
    9) I wish that they would make more Maxis furniture in classic styles and leave off the funky stuff. The custom content makers can make all the funky stuff (as a lot of it is fairly simple) but those of us who don't want to have 8gb download files but who like to build could have a break that way.
    10) More types of dancing. I'd like to see, in addition to the regular shake you booty stuff, the smustle and close dancing some things like the ability to do ballroom dancing, ballet, more types of line dancing (a Macarena parody, for instance), some hip hop, etc.

I could keep going but I've got to get some sleep!

9. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Now that's one I would love to see! Along with that I've always wanted to option to just be able to pick up my entire house I've just made because I wish I would have built it one square farther from the sidewalk, or to the right or left or something like that! Who wants to start from scratch if you are enjoying the house but just wish it was placed differently on the lot.

10. Lynet

Lynet New Member

So not to get too far off topic, since we are talking about what we'd like to see in the next EP, and the subject of ceilings came up as one of the "wishes..."​

I followed up on Chris' tip about awnings. Very, very interesting. Generally, I can say that it works reasonably well. The house where I tested the awnings had a bay and I believe that is why I could not get the awning to extend close to that side of the room, which is why it shows up as red in the picture. I eliminated the bay and then had no trouble. Angled walls seem to prevent the use of awnings.​

I tested all the different types of awnings. The white one gives a rustic plank look to the ceiling. The others have support bars, and either stripes or solid color background, but it's rather a neat look, like a circus.​

I took pictures, of course, and posted them in the Worldsims Gallery here:
    http://forums.worldsims.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=1798&c=33

There are only five pictures. Click on next to see them all (I hope.) After the fifth picture you will see other stuff that's not related, like a picture of deer in the back yard. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm still voting for ceilings to be added to the next EP.​

And WAY yes to SBW's automatic basement builder. Also, Kat's idea of talking to the neighbors by simply meeting at the property edge without having to invite them over has crossed my mind on more than one occasion while I was playing within a lot.​

11. fuzzy_ferret_luver

fuzzy_ferret_luver New Member

I second everyone's ideas, and I also think it would be neat if the kids could earn cooking skills by helping their parents make supper. I, too, wish there was an automatic basement maker. I have not built one because I can't figure out how.
    Also, thinking about TS1 Vacation, it'd be neat if there were more outside recreational games, like basketball or volleyball. They wouldn't necessarily have to be on your home lot, but at a community lot. Or maybe a trampoline for the kids.

12. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

just a little offtopic...

does anyone know how many clicks down to equal one floor?

13. KatAnubis

16 clicks equal one normal height floor. :rolleyes:

14. KatAnubis

Did you have "move objects on" when you tried it? I've not tried to put in ceilings that way, but then I don't use the awnings much because when I've used them they didn't go down when I had the walls down.

15. KatAnubis

That is really part of what I was talking about. I too have had to completely start over on a house because I started it too close to an edge or not centered the way I wanted it! It's really annoying.

As to the things from TS1 vacation that I miss, I too miss the basketball. We will get ice and dry skating, water balloons and snowball fights with Seasons, but that's still not the basketball, half pike slide and the like which we had in TS1 vacation. And I also miss the carnival rides from Makin' Magic. But then, I'd like to have a lot more in the way of a carnival/state fair type of thing anyway.

This isn't to say I don't love what we are getting and what we already have, I just wish there could be more.

For instance, I miss the things that we got with TS1 Superstar: diving thing, the air ride, the mudbaths, the massage table, the sushi cart, etc. I was really hoping we'd get those in Glamour, but was quite disappointed that they spent so much of the pack on things like the funky furniture.

I guess one thing I miss from TS1 was that every EP had a theme and then a secondary theme. So if we wanted the building things but didn't like the main theme, we'd maybe like the "didn't quite fit anywhere else" things that now are in stuff packs. I understand that they decided to go with that method because the polls they put up showed that people would like to have all those extra things in a separate pack, rather than as part of an EP. But the rest of us (who didn't necessarily do any of the marketing polls they had), probably wanted the items to stay in the EPs but have that much *more* in the SPs.

16. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

I'd like for them to update the wants and fears system, the turn ons and turn offs system, and the Lifetime Wants system. These elements make TS2 radically different from TS1, but they are introduced in one expansion and are not updated in other expansions.

I want them to update the wants and fears system by not making Sims become obsessive with certain wants. For example, I have a poor Sim that wants to be a vampire AND a werewolf, and she won't roll anything else. I also want them to make wants varied. Couldn't a Romance Sim want a baby if she has the disposition? Couldn't a Knowledge Sim want to have 20 woohoos? Couldn't a Family Sim want to buy a 5000 simoleon statue?

This also segways to the LTW system. They need more variety. I had to download a mod to give me variety in what Sims can roll, but I also want more LTWs besides "Be friends with 20 pets." What happened to wanting to be a Cult Leader? A Nature Guru? I want more career LTW variety (hopefully they'll give us that in Seasons).

The turn on and turn off system is limited as well. It does not address eye color or skin tone, nor does it address zombies, werewolves, robots or aliens. It also doesn't address PJs or everyday clothing. More variety people! I've had Sims fall in love with other people because another Sim just happened to have brown hair and make up like his wife!

I mean, how hard IS it to add more stuff into these systems? If the modding community could figure out how to give more variety to these then mods would already be out there. That's why EA needs to take the reins and DO SOMETHING :p

17. KatAnubis

They have updated the wants/fears some. I heard that they were putting new careers into the game, and they probably would update those careers a bit.

However, you're not going to have the Sims be less obsessive. Even though many of us dislike the obsessive compulsions (like the "turn off computer" temper tantrums), they are considered an important "quirkiness" for the game.

I wish that we had in game options for turning off or at least fine tuning some of the "obsessivitity" without having to resort to 3rd party mods. But until they decide to give us a way of turning those off or on, that's what we're stuck with.

As to the obsessive wants that you can't get rid of, I've found that sending a Sim to a community lot will often reset some of those with some of the "community lot" obsessions. If you do get those wants fulfilled, it often continues on their home lot with more "do-able" wants and fears.

If you give the Sim what it wants, often it will want more of that. For instance, I've had my Knowledge Sim want fortune and romance wants simply because when they had a little want like that pop up, I've given them what they want. (Although it was a little disturbing for one of my very shy Sims to want to have "public woohoo with 3 people". Needless to say, my otherwise monogamous Sim was not allowed to even try to have *that* fulfilled!)

18. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Yup, Chee-Z, I want them to be human, too. :D Just kidding. :p

True, the likes and dislikes are pretty superficial. I played around with personality and interests once and got no change in the sparks attraction. So adding to them would be a good idea.

Look at this! KatAnubis posted before me. I got to talking to my husband (for whom I've got 3 sparks.) And I'm pretty sure I tried moveObjects with that awning thing, because I tried everything to get it to work. But I'll look at it once more.

19. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

(side note here, six new careers are: gamer, adventurer, music, law, journalism, and education!)

20. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Just an FYI--I tested the awnings with moveObjects on and it made no difference. I could not use awnings over angular walls.

No matter. They still make for interesting ceilings in some cases. I put one in a garage, for instance.