I, Sim

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Lynet, Dec 18, 2005.

1. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Well, Jack's a pretty common name ... and I knew immediately that you were thinking of Jack Skellington, because I'm a huge Nightmare Before Christmas fan.

So, no worries either way, Lynet. ;)

McJagger suits him, too.

2. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Nightmare before Christmas is AWESOME! Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to increase my obsession by watching it more than once, though I do have some NBC paraphernalia (dunno if it's spelled right, or if I'm using it correctly). :D My favorite character of all time is Sally. She's just cool.

3. Lynet

Lynet New Member

About the middle of the afternoon we left the canyons behind. The sand was everywhere. In my boots, in my clothes, in my mouth. As we walked the cowboy trader passed around bits of dried meat to chew on. Very salty stuff. Later on he passed around a skin of water and suggested we take only a couple of swallows.

Any more than that, youll get sick, he said.

With every step I wished I had a hat like his. I kept my head down and turned away from the sun, watching my boots shuffling through the sand. The back of my neck was on fire.

Then we saw water. There were ruins of an old stone building. And a well.

A man in a baggy red shirt stood up from the shadows of the building.

The cowboy saw the guy and glanced at me, Hes mad. The desert does that to some people. Pay no heed to anything he says. Rest a bit, but we arent staying.

I glanced in the well. The water in it looked bad but the traders refilled their water skins there because it didnt look as bad as the water in the stagnant pond nearby. I wanted something to drink very badly. The thought of a cold beer got into my head and I had trouble getting rid of it. Fortunately the man in red started talking to me.

Are you to be the king? he said.

No, Now I wanted him to go away. No such luck.

Then that one, he pointed at Harcourt.

Yes, I think youre right. Go ask him.

The guy shook his head sadly. His turban wobbled but didnt come undone. I started thinking about that turban. Could be useful. Then the guy scratched vigorously behind his ear and I had to wonder what could be living up there in those red folds of cloth?

The king must die, he mumbled. The king must die.

Why? I was still thinking of the turban. Maybe a good shaking out

To appease Napayshni. Each year a new king and queen for Napayshni. Then the mountains speak and the rains come.

Uhmmno queen here, Im afraid. No queen. So no king.

There is a queen. These, he pointed at the traders, came here with her some days before today. Now they bring the king. Soon there will be rain. The madman grinned, showing all of the handful of teeth he still owned, then wandered off to sit in the shade of the stone wall.

I decided not to mention any of this conversation to Harcourt. He wears everything he thinks on his face for the world to see. It was a marvel hed lived so long.

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

The heat was at its worst when he left the well and the red man behind. Id decided not to steal his turban. Didnt matter, anyway. The sun was soon behind the mountains and set suddenly. The night turned cold and I was happier.

Late in the night we reached a campsite among more rocks. The traders opened a crude chest and spread some old rugs out on the sand. Harcourt cornered the cowboy and asked about Alka again but got little for his trouble. The man was giving Harcourt just enough line to keep the fish on the hook.

The traders lit one candle for some reason I couldnt figure and stretched out on the carpets, watching the stars. My weary friend sat down close to the candle as if to study its flame. Eventually he closed his eyes but didnt sleep, or at least I dont think he did. I lay back, stared up at the stars and quickly fell asleep myself, too tired to even notice the fleas getting into my clothes. When I woke before dawn the next morning, I found Harcourt was still sitting there, facing the waxy remains of the candle.

I punched him lightly in the arm. He roused himself and stood up but his bloodshot eyes worried me. He was clearly exhausted.

The traders passed around the water skins and we were encouraged to drink a lot. I made sure that Harcourt did. Then we started walking again, chewing on strips of the dried salty meat. Beyond the rocks we were once more in open desert. At midday, trudging over a rise, we sighted another rocky outcrop rising from the sand but this time there were buildings in its shadow. An entire village.

We were the whole rest of the day getting there. I wanted to see people. It surprised me some, how anxious I was to see a village full of people talking to each other, laughing at jokes, cooking food, all that routine stuff that daily life required.

But the place was empty, no sign of life, no people, anywhere. It was depressing. We walked through the narrow streets and I realized the place had been dead for a long, long time. It was more than depressing. It was creepy.

It was after dark when we got through to the other side of the village and passed a broad flight of steps that led up the side of the mountain to nowhere. Just beyond the stairs was a large stone building that showed some signs of life. That cheered me up. There were candles in iron racks on the walls. And they were burning.

The cowboy looked at Harcourt who had paused uncertainly at the foot of the steps to the building. Here will be food and beds. We will wash up and eat a feast. We will sleep. Tomorrow we will talk about finding your woman, yes?

Harcourt smiled uncertainly and nodded. He followed us into the building. I think my friend had finally figured out that we were in serious trouble.

5. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Just a couple more pictures . . . (I put a lot of time into making this village :rolleyes: )

6. surprised_by_witches

Well, it paid off. It's very realistic and eerie.

I'm on the edge of my seat, here. A part of me is going to be stuck in that desert with them until I know what happens next.

I can't wait to meet Alka. I hope she's worth all this ...

7. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

I haven't seen any characters not worth the wait here. I wonder if at the end of the story, Lynet could create an illustrated book. It's for sure better than most of the stuff out there.

8. surprised_by_witches

Oh, I'm sure the story will be worth the wait. I just hope Alka appreciates all that Harcourt has done for her, is all. ;)

I'm rather fond of that boy.

9. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Thank you SBW and Michelle. It's a lot more complicated than Dear Emmy was. The only editing I do in this story to any of the pictures is with the Kodak software that allows some changes in tint, contrast, brightness, etc., as well as a fun effect or two like "spotlight." I was able to make the desert pictures look a little 'hotter,' for instance. And because nighttime shots can be so dark I try to increase the contrast and brightness enough to make them easier to see without making them look washed out. I still worry about those and hope everyone can see them OK. But I don't do cut and paste. And all pictures come right out of the game. The desert village could only be done with the NL EP which allows you to see neighboring lots. I did several lots close together. Tightly clustered buildings and walls hide the roads.

A long distance view was possible because I discovered how to temporarily hide display of the roads. That only works in the neighborhood screen. And the cars still come and go. :p In that case, timing was everything when it came to taking the picture.

As for the characters, it's a matter of waiting for them to strike just the right pose. Sometimes it's on the money, sometimes not. Sometimes it's serendipity. Harcourt, for instance, stopped at the bottom of the steps, the cowboy looked at him, and it became part of the story. Unplanned. (Free will is always on.) I laugh a lot while playing with them. Will Wright and his team are amazing in what they accomplished with these little guys.

I'm attaching a picture here again just for your amusement. It's McJagger taking a shower. And there's a blur. :D *Humming ...dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones...*

10. surprised_by_witches

LMAO, Lynet. I find that funny on sooo many levels ...

11. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I had turned off the computer and was headed for bed when I remembered something else I wanted to show you. You see, I'm really very kind to my sims. After the desert 'picture shoot' they were all pretty hungry so ... I treated them to a feast. A took the picture on a whim and it's not very good. Hope you can see it.

12. surprised_by_witches

So glad they're not starving to death, out in the wild ... :D

13. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

Gotta love the oasis buffets. :D

14. DuzzyGirl

DuzzyGirl **sigh** Downloads ...

This is fantastic!

15. Rongaryen

Rongaryen New Member

Wow, You're story is awesome. I sat here reading this whole thread and it took me 2 and a half hours instead of simming. Keep up the good work! I'll be anxiously awaiting more.

16. MangoOrange

MangoOrange New Member

I love it! It looks like a delicious catered lunch for your actors! It would be funny to see a few of them lounging in a hot tub while they wait for thier scenes!

17. Lynet

Lynet New Member

There were two large rooms to this building and it was also deserted. But someone had been here. Lanterns were lit. There was food kept warm in servers. Clean clothes were laid out on real beds. There were tubs with hot water and soap for baths. Someone had prepared for us, and they had done it within minutes of our arrival.

I took a quick bath, put on the clean clothes and headed for the food. Wed been walking for two days with only that foul dried meat to chew on. I was starving. So was everyone else. Conversation was just a word or two as we shoveled it in, and I took no interest in talking except to ask for more bread.

When Harcourt stood up from the table he asked for the bathroom and the cowboy told him it was in the smaller building just outside. I decided that now was the time to get Harcourt alone and discuss our situation. I followed him out the door. None of the traders seemed concerned. And why should they be? An empty city surrounded by desert. Where would we go?

Before we got very far beyond the foot of the steps, Harcourt turned and stopped me.

I must tell you quickly, before anyone comes, so please ask no questions. Just listen.

I nodded as he continued, I spoke for a long time with the villagers and learned much about their world. It is a world of unpredictable cycles, for the sun, the moon, the weather. While in your world the sun rises and sets at the same time every day, without change, here it is not so simple. And because of this the waters may rise and flood, the ground may shake, the winds may blow strongly for days and all of this may sometimes bring death to many without warning. They are, therefore, a very pessimistic people who tend to violent solutions in the face of their problems. They have been suffering a drought for a long period which has caused waters to recede and crops to die. It is in their minds that their gods are displeased. They perceive their gods to be as themselves, that is to be grim, violent, and emotional. To appease them, to lift the drought, only the sacrifice of someone no less noble than their king will be sufficient. This is a repeated ritual, now and in centuries past. A king and his queen die. The people thrive.

Or at least according to the new king.

He held up a finger, stopping me. Their Oracle has decreed that the gods will accept a substitute king and queen so long as they are noble.

So this kings a little more clever than kings past.

A further condition is that the sacrifice must take place here, in Mahadeva, which was once the sacred city. And that it must be done on the mountain.

Are you telling me theyre going to kill someone here? Who? You and me?

Not you. Me. And Alka. I am sorry, my friend, that you are here. I will not be able to help you return to Kate.

Yes you will! Thats why Im here. If anyone thinks Im going to sit quietly through an execution

Stop! Someone comes.

I ignored his warning because I didnt care who was watching.

And what are you going to do about this, Harcourt? Go quietly to the chopping block? Allow someone to kill the woman you love? Just like that? I shoved him. It was time to roust up some animal instincts in his noodle.

The air stirred behind me and a hand descended on my shoulder. I spun around and confronted something that has given me nightmares ever since.

18. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Sorry for delays, gang. Not only has RL gotten in the way but I have been somewhat absorbed in finishing with building the lot where Errol and Harcourt are now staying. It's a difficult lot to work with, there being a big mountain right in the middle of it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your patience and encouragement. In the meantime, RL beckons again. I have go run and help a relative with her taxes. :(

19. surprised_by_witches

Ooh! Me next! I hate doing my taxes. :D

Yeah! You posted! It was worth the wait ...

20. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Death had come out of the grave. Death without the flesh. Bleached bones smelling of the grave leaned toward me. Nor were they the bones of any man I might have known because black wings sprouted from the shoulder blades. Id never seen anything like it before and I dont ever want to meet something like it again.

The wretched thing spoke, chittering like a giant cricket might speak because it had no voice box, only the rattle of bones and teeth, Do not lay hands on the body of the king.

I stared at it. And it stared at me with an evil blue light from deep in its eye sockets. We were instant enemies. So I attacked, leaping forward, and found myself in a battle like nothing Id ever experienced. I was fighting sticks. They swung at me from every direction, unrestricted by muscle and tendon. The huge leathery wings beat around my head. Sulfurous dust rose all around us, choking me. Should I list the problems with fighting bones? I mean, you cant strangle it, punch it in the gut or the kidneys, or poke it in the eye. What can you do? Take it apart? Not so easy, let me tell you.

In the end I won. Or maybe it was a draw. It stopped fighting and limped away, all under the gaze of a woman I hadnt seen arrive. Was this Alka? Then I saw Harcourt nearby looking at her with curiosity but not love. No, not Alka.

Her hair was black, her clothes were black, and her face was partly hidden by some kind of mask. Her red lips were spread wide in a smile. She moved slowly toward me until she was so close I could see the moonlight reflected in her eyes. You have made a dangerous enemy in that one, Errol Waring. Kodran will kill you.

Then I will fight him for eternity, with nothing else to lose.

She laughed softly and said, Well done. Now go from me. Warm beds await you and your friend here. Rest in them. I will see you tomorrow morning.

Harcourt closed his fingers around my elbow and pulled me away from her. Think of Kate, he whispered. Keep thinking of Kate.

I blinked at him, confused. Kate?

Yes. He pulled me up the steps into the larger building. That creature, he nodded toward the woman in black who faded into the shadows even as we looked at her, is not a woman. She is only another like the one you just did battle with, but stronger and with more magic. You must beware. She is consuming you.

I looked all around at the night before we stepped inside. I heard crickets.

Maybe it was crickets.