IBM will kill the hard drive in ten years

Discussion in 'News and Commentary' started by Judhudson, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

IBM will kill the hard drive in ten years

The Inquirer (yes, I am aware of them and I do believe this to be true) commented today that IBM plans to kill of the harddrive in the next 10 years. After all, it's time for new technology to arrive, and flash storage is going to be the next big craze.
    Both prevalent technologies have their problems. HDD is hot, noisy and bulky. It's also sensitive to knock and bumps, and has loads of moving parts to go wrong. SSD is smaller and lighter with no moving parts but, despite being quick at reading data, is a bit slovenly when it comes to writing it. SSDs also have lifespan problems, as each write cycle does tiny amounts of damage to the integrity of the circuits. Oh, and it costs one arm + one leg.
    Of course, this won't effect us for quite some times, but I am curious of what computers will be like 10 years from now. I'm a sucker for keeping my old computer parts, so I'll still have HDD's. Whether they will work or not remains to be known.

2. djrules5454

djrules5454 Wiivolutionary

It's more likely that nanotechnology will replace HDD. In 10 years, HDD will still be prevalent because flash memory has a much, much shorter lifespan.

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

The assumption though, is that flash memory technology does not improve.