Spore Ideas for Spore Expansion Packs

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by HCantu99, Apr 11, 2005.

1. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

Ideas for Spore Expansion Packs

I just thought of an idea for a possible Spore expansion pack. It would be about maps.

With such a large play area, it might be useful to have maps, if, say you created civilizations on various worlds or solar systems, went off to explore the universe and then later wanted to remember where you left that one civilization populated with dinosaur-like creatures.

There could be different kinds of maps, maps of the universe, then maps of planets, etc. Maybe you could even print them out!

Wow! The game's not even here yet, and I'm thinking of expansion packs!

HCantu99 :D

2. OverlordBill

OverlordBill New Member

Spore won't have expansion packs. It's based around custom content. If anything's updated, it will most likely be treated as an update and will be included with bug fixes. There's not really anything you can do to update a game that doesn't have any premade content.

And how would you use a map in space? It's three dimensions, you'd have to have a model. And that wouldn't make things any clearer, and on a universal scale it would either have to be immense or the points would have to be very very tiny.

At the point you would need a map on the planet, it seems to be possible to zoom out enough to see half of it at once. So again, no need for a map.

And if they do come out with an expansion pack that features mapping, I'll eat my foot.

3. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

I have another expansion pack idea.

A place (planet, solar system, or galaxy) that is a multi-user space, where you could ineract with other users on the internet - I guess a real-time shared-space kind of place, for either team-built civilizations or city-vs-city challenges, or anything else.

You'd travel in your game to this special place in the universe and be able to interact with others online. Maybe it could even have chat built into it or something.

4. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

I'm not so sure, but you could be right.
    A glowing overlay directly on the game.

For example, at the universe scale, perhaps a blue glowing dot shows the general location of Dinosaur-world.
    Zoom in, in that general direction, and you'd see another very similar glowing blue dot representing the solar system containing Dinosaur-world.
    Zoom in again, in that more specific direction and you'd see maybe several planets, with only one of them glowing blue - that's the one!

Press a button and the glowing overlay dissapears leaving only vivid awesome space imagery. Maybe you could do searches by planet name or scroll through some list of named planets.
    Pick one to go to and a new glowing overlay would show up - showing the way.

I don't know. That's just a thought off the top of my head. There's probably better ways to do it - but I think it's possible - just a navigation aide.

A map wouldn't be needed, but just fun to have... for some. Maybe little translucent name-signs for cities, bodies of water, landmarks, etc. could be similarly overlaid on the world or turned off. Maybe they could be a story-telling tool.

But true, maybe no actual need for a map - hence only an expansion pack idea.

Well, I'm sure there's much better expansion pack ideas than my own humble and silly ones - but still... please don't eat your foot. It's just not worth it. :laughing2:

HCantu99

5. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

I doubt we should consider exp. packs. For all we know Spore could end up being an over-hyped peice of crap. Sorry to say, but thats probably where its headed. (Prove me wrong Maxis, I'll bake you brownies!)

6. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

Another Spore Expansion Pack idea.

I've read that some parts of Spore are going to be mini-versions of, or very similar to, other existing games. I suppose this is to allow for the scale and scope of the game. It doesn't need so much focus in any one phase of the game because you move from one phase to another and have such a range of phases to play.

But an expansion pack could have more tools for greater depth of play, specifically for your favorite phase, and greater customization of all objects/surfaces/etc.

But I'll concede that the game might only get periodic patches or upgrades instead.

7. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

What about a time-travel expansion pack?

8. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

An expansion pack about living off-world.

I know you can live in cities on land, and possibly underwater domed cities - when colonizing new worlds. But what about space stations orbiting a planet? Or space stations traveling the cosmos? I guess similar to the UFO, but carrying a population.

9. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

An expansion pack to include robotic (non-organic) creatures - maybe even progammable. "Build me a base on the planet... Attack my enemies..." Oh no! My robot was destroyed! I'll just press this button and twenty more!

10. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

Please don't make rash conclusions, no one can know what will happen in 2 years, there will be always place to improve..

Heat ;)

11. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

An expansion pack about planet-sized creatures. Maybe they drift around in space, looking for asteroid fields for some mysterious reason and could be a potential hazard to colonists trying to mine the asteroid fields for metals or other resources (if that's possible) - or maybe the giant creatures could be domesticated and used for labor. Or maybe they're sentient!

Maybe they go around seeding life throughout the universe.

HCantu99

12. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

An expansion pack that introduces living planets - where maybe the plants on the planet respond to the activity on the planet's surface to protect the planet. It could host other sentient life forms, even space visitors, if it suits its own needs.

Unfortunately, a UFO could just go blow it up.

But maybe the sentient planet could find some method of defense against an such attacker, such as being hidden deep in some cloudy space nebula, or maybe somehow influencing its own poulation to develop sufficient technology to defend against such a potential aggressor.

Maybe it could use sentient plants.

HCantu99

13. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

An expansion pack that allows you to move your favorite Spore object to a Sims game.

14. SporeSite

SporeSite New Member

I wonder if there is going to be Expansion Packs...? I hope there are but realy what eles could they add...Maybe this...Sims2 Spore EP, where when you are playing Spore you go to a planet and see sims, and you could kill them, live with them mate with them, just think about all the money they could make by combing both of them. :shocked:

15. Aphid

Aphid New Member

Spore: University. Seriously, I hope they just make the one, and perhaps Spore 2 and Spore Online (providing it's a one off purchase).

16. MrErops

MrErops New Member

I think there is going to be so much in the game that we wont need an Ep. But I hope they have a Spore 2 as well with better graphics and more stuff to do, after like 4 years. :D

17. OverlordBill

OverlordBill New Member

If Spore launches well, we'll be seeing a lot more games like it in a few years. And knowing Maxis, definitely a Spore 2.

18. MrErops

MrErops New Member

I hate how they do that. Someone makes a great game and then another company makes something just like it. :grumpy: But I bet they won't be able to beat Maxis's games, there usally the best and the first. Thats why I think Will Wright won't take that much time to release it, I bet it will be out soon so that no companies can mock the game. :D

19. Night Angel

Night Angel New Member

Kind of like those 2 anime's from warner brothers, Yugioh! and Duel Masters. I personally like Yugioh better.

20. Dumdadum

Dumdadum New Member

Or Pokémon and Digimon.. or Sims 2 and singles.. or McVitie's Digestive Biscuits and Tesco value digestives.