If The Sims 2 were online...

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Enjoji, Aug 4, 2003.

1. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Well since the sims 2 ISN'T an online game yet, you'll probably have nothing to worry about! I'm pretty sure if they were going to have your sims skills deteriorate and go back DOWN over time in the sims 2 game they would have told us about that by now. :D I think they'd have a riot on their hands if they released it without telling a detail like that! ;)

2. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Actually the mall idea sounds great. Kind of like a giant paysite where your sim could try on clothes before they buy and discover that color clashes with your personality. The hardest thing would be that you couldn't invite your new friends "home".

3. OinkUsed2BABunny

OinkUsed2BABunny Perma-banned.

With the graphics of TS2 and the online capabilities of TSO, that game might be the closest thing there is to real life on the net. I have yet to find an MMORPG that mimics MODERN day life. They are either fantasy, or sci-fi, none of them are set close to our era. I doubt that Maxis will be able to accomplish something of that magnitude in the near future tho. After TS1, I've lost all hope in The Sims series. I'll just wait and see where they're taking The Sims and hope for the best.

4. suitemichelle

Oink, you just are approaching ts1 with the wrong attitude. It's not about real life, it's about instant gratification. Otherwise you would lose points for cheating. (ie. rosebud) and building and decorating the biggest house. since there are no landuse violations

5. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

Hello!

Gosh, I never expected so many people would respond to my idea. It's just been something floating in my head since the Sims 2 was announced... I like the mall idea a lot; I thought it would be a wonderful way for everyone in the communiity to share their custom content, as well as having their own sites if they wanted. Everything would be the same as the games - full 3d, full zoom and rotate etc - on some giant server and every shop in the mall you go to is owned by an actual real-life player, with their own created custom content inside. Each player could pay a fee depending on the size of the space they want - like, I dunno $5 or something for a small space - a month to 'rent' the space on the server, and then they could build it how they like - like Hot Date, where you have unlimited money. So, then for instance you can have one shop with furniture, another with clothes, another with accessories, etc. You could have someone build a cinema, another build an indoor spa, a gym; that kind of thing. The Sims 2 players log on from within the game, go to this mall, and hang! (Sigh) I know I'm just dreaming, but if I was rich I'd definitely buy up a server and set this up myself for all the fans - with Maxis' permission, of course! It would be so amazing:) But, like I said, it's just a dream...

Okay, I'm babbling now. Sorry. I'll go now..:D

Enjoji

6. suitemichelle

That's okay. Babble as much as you want. It really does sound like a fun idea.

7. OinkUsed2BABunny

Your idea is the only thing that topped Downtown for best use of the Sims game, in my mind. Dont worry, I'm sure if TS2 garners as much fan support as TS1 did, your mall idea might just pop up outta no where some time in the future. :D

8. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

To OinkUsed2BABunny (great name!)
    You really think so? I hope so - that would be so awesome! If only there was some way for Maxis to know about it... Oh well - like you said, maybe in the future they'll think of it on their own. Thanks for the encouragment; I didn't think my idea could ever top Downtown:)!

9. bobandbob

bobandbob Guest

i don't really think that the sims 2 should go online i meanthats a bit dumb. the sims is a game where you can hide yourself away and not bother about anyone else!

10. suitemichelle

I disagree, even tho I don't have sims online. Everytime you go to a fan site and DL a new idea, you have contact with the "outside world".

Anyway Enjoji, I was thinking maybe an answering machine could be deleloped to let your friends know you are online and where to meet at the mall... What do you think about that?

11. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

Suitemichelle, that's a great idea! So, like your real-life friends, who have Sims 2, are online at the mall, they could 'call' you up and a small message would appear to let you know they're there? So you could go shopping together - like real life - before heading back to your separate homes back in the game? Is that what you mean? If so, that's wonderful! It would be so awesome to create something like this, and if it was a great hit, there could even be a server dedicated to being a Vacation spot or a town centre; anyplace where a lot of Sims can come together! Anymore ideas, Suitemichelle, or anyone else, even?
    And, in response to BobandBob, you may think it's a bit dumb but even if you were online you'd still be hidden. You won't have a real-life profile or anything. Just the Sim wandering around this huge mall. That's all. And you don't have to bother with anyone else. There could be NPCs like Downtown that serve you, etc... Anyone else think it's a dumb idea?

Thanks for all the replies!
    Enjoji

12. duffdude

duffdude New Member

I've just joined this forum and was reading through this thread and thought I would throw in my 2 cents....I really like the idea of having the Sims2 online and very interactive. I have to reiterate some points previously made though. For one, TSO is a huge failure for Maxis/EA and it won't likely be done a second time with The Sims 2. Next, while the setup onto servers and incorporation of all the interactivity probably wouldn't be that difficult, it would have to be perfect from the start or risk failure. We all know what happened with TSO and SC4s SimCityScape!

Having said all that, I have never tried to play any game online. I had tried SC4's SimCityScape but was quickly turned off by the experience. What might be easier to incorporate into The Sims 2 is a network feature which would allow you to play with your friends via the net but only within the neighbourhood your sims live in. Am I making sense? I believe that this would be easier since you would be limiting the amount of players that you are playing with online. Not as exciting but still better than sitting in front of your computer all alone trying to talk to sims that can't reply.

13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

it took roughly 3 years before everquest became popular... :rolleyes:

Personally TSO to me is a glorified chat room...

14. OinkUsed2BABunny

Thats exactly what it is to me too: chat with moving avatars. What else reminds me of that? Oh right, Habbo. :rolleyes:

Everquest took that long to become popular? How "popular" do you mean by that? Lineage II came out Oct 1st and is already the best selling most participated MMORPG in its country, with people from all over the world "borrowing" SSN's (myself included) just to play the beta on an oversea server. Maybe Everquest just wasnt as readily accepted at the beginning being the pioneer a true 3D MMORPG, or did it just plain blew?

But anyways, I'm sure you're not the only one who's thought of that idea, Enjoji, so the chances are good that someone with influence or connections will inform Maxis of that idea, if they havent thought of it themselves already.