Improving Seasons performance

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Mirelly, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Improving Seasons performance

Many of us with less than perfect computers (even those of us with pretty good ones) find that Seasons can put too much drain on the gpus resources. Without turning the detail levels down to Sims 1 levels (unacceptable!) there was little that could be done.

Pescado evidently is also bothered by this and has produced a neat little hack that will improve performance for those who garden.

antigardenlag.package
    (direct link) works by simply disabling the appearance of garden bugs and the lady bugs that are generated by the ladybug houses.

Your ladybug houses will still work but you won't see any bugs hovering around them. Likewise plants will still get bug infestations that need spraying ... you just won't actually see the bugs ... you will need either to check plants and trees regularly to see if they need spraying ... or else (since the ladybug houses will not now cause the game to chug) you could just plop down ladybug houses in every free space to stop bug infestations before they happen.

Just sharing the goodness ... :)

2. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

oh thank you... I've been going crazy with the game lag. I've been thinking it's time to widdle down the downloads file because it's so slow between home and community lots.

3. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Kind of glad to hear it's not just me! I have a recently updated computer and I've been really frustrated by the slowness of game play. Scrolling through Veronaville in neighborhood view is torture lately, and I can't delete any of the decorations. I've been moving everyone downtown.

I've turned off reflections and put shadows at medium. According to Gamespot, those are the two biggest RAM hogs, so if you're having problems you might try that. My sims were walking as if underwater until I did that, and while I find it irritating to play without reflections it's a small enough price to pay.

My houses load just fine, though when I first go to play the first lot always takes a little longer.

I stopped trusting Pescado's hacks after Bathroom Uses You started hanging up all my lots (after Pets). But if he's making new ones I'm sure they're more up to date.

I play mostly hack free these days, and my game runs just fine. I do miss Don't Wave at Me, though.

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

No question, Seasons is demanding. My system has slowed to a crawl if I leave all the graphics set as high as I've had them up until now.

I lower everything unless I want to take pictures. No reflections. No shadows. Low sim/object detail, etc. A really big help is to set neighborhood view to small and also to turn off the view of neighbors and decorations (this is while in the lot.)

Now, of course, it's like playing the game pre-nightlife. :(

Next week I plan to take my computer apart and turn a hose on it to clean out the dust. :p Maybe that will help. But not until I finish my story. :rolleyes:

5. Jiko

Jiko Lab Specimen Collector

I have the game on its own computer, so all the memory can be accessed for the sims. It helps that my partner builds computer networks and so there are piles of computer bits in our basement and this particular machine is a free collection of parts. Also I don't have to know anything about computers, which is great. I still have game lag when gardening, even though the game is essentially the only thing on the entire machine. I only notice it when I'm setting up a lot of garden tasks, usually at the start of play.

I'm so impressed by the graphics and detail, and I can only guess how much power it takes.

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ah, I feel that's really not fair. Pescado is a total jerk but he is not malignant in distributing sub-standard hacks. Anyone who uses hacks should undertake to check with the source from time to time for updated versions, because even the best programmers find better ways to code their magic over time. And where The Sims 2 is concerned, all hacks should be reomved from the game before installing an expansion pack and only returned to the game after installation after checking with the provider for compatibility issues. BYU required an overhaul for Pets because the animals all needed to be treated differently (and humans too ... imagine a human trying a bathe a dog and BYU forcing the human sim to stop every 5 seconds to take a pee :eek:). Before the Pets edition could be released Pescado had to go over all the code. In the meantime it was judged the existing version weren't defective so long as you kept the pets out of human bathrooms.

Pescado has never released a hack without labelling as 'beta' if it hasn't been tested to destruction. 95% of discussion about his hacks are actually questions about how they work (or what they do) since his user instructions are only slightly more informative than a Microsoft error message.

Rant over ... :rolleyes:

7. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Our computer isn't the greatest, and we have tons of other games on it as well, and I don't really have that many problems. I'd really like a hack to make the sprinklers invisible, because those are the ones that really slow down my game on large lots. Whenever they go on it takes forever to scroll from one end of the lot to the other.

8. surprised_by_witches

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest he did on purpose, Mirelly. I just got the feeling he thought Pets was a waste of time, and I started having problems around then, even after installing updates.

I'm sure he's fixed it all by now. I just wanted to warn people that no one, including the great curmudgeon, is infallible.

9. otero4444

otero4444 New Member

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

11. otero4444

otero4444 New Member

*Slaps hand on forehead* sorry having a blond moment lol thanks for the link i shall check it out now :)

12. Ruzz

Ruzz New Member

I have a pretty good computer and I only lag when I go downtown and there's those spraying fire thingys where you can roast marshmallows on it. I turned it off and scrolling still lags.

13. surprised_by_witches

I have a nice-ish computer and here's where my game lags:

Sprinklers on
    Maid or other service, worse when two or more visit
    Change of weather
    Change of sim aspect (turning blue because of cold, turning into vampire)
    Really big lots, sporadically (The Monty Ranch is kind of slow half the time)
    Party guests arriving
    Residents arriving home from school or work

I've got shadows on low and I've had to turn off reflections altogether, as mentioned.

I think it's the EP, not my machine. The only lags I had with Pets were with change to vampire, and occasionally if I held a big party.