Troubleshooting Installation problem - Voice1.package

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Louise, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Louise

Louise New Member

Installation problem - Voice1.package

Hi!
    I am having a problem installing SIMS2. I get an error message...

"A problem occured when trying to transfer the file TSData\Res\Sound\Voice1.package from the media."

Looking for help I put "Voice1.package" into Google. The only links found were for the FAQ page on this site! But when I tried to look at that page there were no FAQ on the page!

Can you help either with some direct advice or to access the FAQ where I suspect the question may have already been answered?

2. xcierrax3

xcierrax3 New Member

Sam problem here it gets about halfway through it it says the same except not always voice package but other ones to could someone help us???

3. Louise

Louise New Member

Can I install across a LAN?

I finally made some slight progress on the installation problem by following Vchat20's advice given on another thread. I cleaned the disk (no. 1) carefully, removing all smudges etc. and the installation finally progressed past the point where it had always stopped previously.

Regrettably the same problem then occured with file ...Voice6.package on disk 2. This time the cleaning technique did not work.

The installation did work though on another computer which seemed to be able to read the disks OK. But I cannot usually have use of this computer as it is my Dad's. Is there anyway to install it across our LAN onto my computer?

4. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

In fact, there is - or at least I think. I was messing around with networking me and my parent's computers, and I successfully got it to run on their computer off my computer's hard drive on the network in a test run. It worked, as long as the disc was in a local drive to verify cdprotection. Anyway, I'm assuming your computers are networked by workplace and can directly read files across disks. Take note that being on a LAN does NOT automatically network the computers. If the computers aren't networked yet, some extra steps will be needed to set up networking, which I won't cover here...

1) Make sure your computer has read priveliges to the Sims 2 folder and the folder containing it (usually "C:\Program Files", which is set to no access by default, along with WINDOWS, even if the drive is set to shared and read/write - make sure to allow sharing on it).

2) Access the drive using either "My Computer > (Drive Letter)" if the drive is mapped on your computer. Basically, if the drive on the other computer shows up in My Computer on your computer, the drive is mapped. If it is not (e.g. there are no network drives shown in My Computer), you can access it through "My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers > (Computer Name) > (Shared Drive or Folder Name)".

3) Find the Sims 2 folder and copy it to the local hard disk on your computer.

4) Run it locally with CD1 in a local drive and it should work. It will get stuck on the loading screen for quite a while at first - do not panic, it is simply creating the "EA GAMES\The Sims 2" folder, along with all the default stuff, in My Documents before the game starts loading. After the first execution, this will not happen again.

If a CD drive on the other computer is shared and, more importantly, mapped, you can try actually installing it off the other computer's disk drive. It will probably install quite slow though, and since the Sims 2 runs fine on a clean Windows folder and Registry (essentially what running it directly on another computer does) the copy method is quicker and safer.

5. brash

brash New Member

This is how I solved the voice1 install problem. I tried five times using all of Josh's suggestions without luck. The CDs installed fine on ALL other computers in our household EXCEPT the kids computer (the one we wanted to play it on). So I knew the disks were ok, and the same problem happened trying to install from files copied to the hard drive so I knew the CDROM was not the problem.

I made a brandnew Windows User and logged into that user. This time the install flew through without a hitch. I know I previously closed all background & antivirus programs etc so I have no idea why it disliked the kids' user logon, but there was something there that was causing the problem.

If you have a problem getting past the voice1 install, and you know the CDs work fine on other computers, you might try making a new windows user logon and see if you still have the problem. In our case we simply decided to switch to the new USER account and delete the old one, but at the very least you can pinpoint whether that is the problem for you also.

6. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

When you first install the game, it has to be installed into an account which is administrative. Once the patch is installed, it's ok to use it in a nonadministrative login, but that may have been why it wouldn't work with your kid's login.

7. MidnightMourning

MidnightMourning New Member

Error "TSData\Res\Sound\Buy.package"

What do i do about a message coming up about 47-49% into The Sims 2 Nightlife installation? The problem message says exactly "A problem occurred when trying to transfer the file 'TSData\Res\Sound\Buy.package' from the media.
    Do you want to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation?"

8. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Usually it's caused by your cd rom not reading the disk fast enough, a dirty disk , a dirty cd laser lens or something similar.
    Try cleaning the cd rom with a laser lens cleaner, make sure the disk is nice and clean and try again.
    If it keeps it up then go over to Ea games help and support and look through their FAQ's about transfer errors and see what they suggest.
    If nothing else can be figured out take it back to where you go it and exchange it for another disk or ask for a refund as it may be a bad disk.
    Also in the future please don't revive 5 year old threads. :D