Troubleshooting Installation problems

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by sparticus, Apr 13, 2005.

1. sparticus

sparticus New Member

Installation problems

I am running on a Windows Xp Pro system and have checked to make sure that I have met all of the system requirements which I have. My problem is that whenever I try installing the game I come to 22% and a message comes up saying that there was a problem copying the file Support\EReg.exe. I have tried re-installing and that has not worked and have searched to see if anybody else had had this problem and nothing has come up. Any help would be appreciated.

2. wize_guy123

wize_guy123 A ***** Retiree

Yes, my friend had this problem and I helped him with it. Im not sure exactly what file I copied but I do believe its something about your neighborhood files. You have to open the CD, manually and find the file and copy it manually. After doing this it seemed to kick in.

Please tell me if this works. Ill ask my friend if it doesnt.

3. sparticus

sparticus New Member

If you could ask your friend what file it was that would really be helpful. Also do you remember the destination your copied it to?

4. sparticus

sparticus New Member

Through advice by one of my friends, I un-installed alcohol 120% and dameon tools and deleted any entries the the registry key. I then tried the install again and this time the EReg.exe transfered fine but now I get the error, " a problem occurred when trying to transfer the file G:\Support\en-us\en-us_eahelp.hlp from the media. Any ideas on what I can do?

5. wize_guy123

wize_guy123 A ***** Retiree

Find that file and copy to My Documents

6. sparticus

sparticus New Member

I tried to open the disk files up manually however whenever I get to the support file my computer freezes up and I am unable to get to it. I don't have any hacks so I know this isn't my problem. Here is a post of my specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    AMD Anthlon 64 3200+
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 8x agp
    40GB available hard drive space
    1 GB RAM
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 241.57 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 3.40 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 2.26 GB

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Any idea what sort of optical drive you have?

8. sparticus

sparticus New Member

16x DVD-ROM drive, that's all I know. It is 5 months old.

9. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

That should suffice....

Spar, since we're both PST, how about I'll poke into your system later on today and see what's up...

I'll PM you some details.

10. sparticus

sparticus New Member

Still having no luck with the game installation. Any help would be appreciated.

11. Leticron

Leticron New Member

For some reason I think I read s/th like that before
    and I think it was related to copy protection
    Do you, by any chance, have Daemon-Tools or Alcohol 120% installed?
    If so, try either disable, or even better, uninstall them during your game installation

I'm not 100% sure since I only recall that post vaguely...but this solution worked then
    If it is related to a disk read error (say physical damage to the install disc) and you don't want to have them exchanged right away
    Try copy the whole disc in question to some empty directory on your harddrive and install from there while the original disc is still in the drive
    (a copy to harddrive is more fault tolerant ..it simply tries longer before it "gives up")

-le

12. sparticus

sparticus New Member

My friend and I thought that this might be the problem so I un-installed

both alcohol 120% and Dameon Tools after my first unsuccessfull installation. I

won't be able to try and do your other sugestion because whenever I try to

access the disk manually, my computer freezes up and I have to end the task.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

13. sparticus

sparticus New Member

I tried to install the game again just to see what it would say and the first error message that comes up says, "Error executing 'G:\Support\The Sims 2_uninst.exe' Only part of a ReadProcessmemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed." I then get the error message, "Error executing 'G:\Support\The Sims 2_Code.exe' %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

14. sparticus

sparticus New Member

I don't know what kind of relevance this would have to my problem but whever I try to run the install and it works (until 22%), the game of memory that is supposed to start up while you are waiting doesn't start up. If anyone has ideas on how this is related to my problem and have suggestions on how to fix it I would really appreciate their comments.

15. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Definitely sounds like you need to get a replacement disc from EA. Sorry.

16. sparticus

sparticus New Member

That is what I thought. But just as a check I tried installing it on a old computer that I have and it installed fine on the first try without problems. The computer is almost out of date so the game ran very poorly but had no problems installing so it is something with my computer.

17. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member