Troubleshooting Installed.. try to run but nothing happens

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by hippycake, Aug 11, 2009.

1. hippycake

hippycake New Member

its a nvidia geforce 7600 gs its about 2-3years old, needs to be replaced anyway tbh.. getting old.

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Yeah it is getting rather dated.
    What power supply do you have ?
    Do you by chance know what the wattage output of the psu is ?
    Usually if you have the documentation to it it would tell you or you can go to the support site for your pc and find it there.
    If it's below 350 watts your choices are pretty slim on finding a decent card that will run on that low a power supply.
    If you can't find it anywhere open the side of the case and look for a tag or label on the power supply as it should say something like 300 watts max output.
    Also you will need to know what the amp rating of the +12Volt rail is too .
    It should be listed in the little box on the label.

3. hippycake

hippycake New Member

says 230v on outside of the power supply and 252W max on the big label on one side.. i think ill probs buy a 512mb nvidia

think thats a good idea?

4. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I'm not certain it's the graphics card but I doubt any new card will possibly run on 250 watts, your CPU is probably using 60-80W already and PSUs don't run at 100% efficiency. Assuming there's no 80+ efficiency sticker on the PSU, lets hope for 70% at best. That means you have 175 watts, take the minimum of 60 watts from the CPU and we have 115 watts left to share with the motherboard, RAM, DVD drive, hard drive, any expansion cards and finally the graphics card. The recent 9000 series of Nvidia use 90 watts on the graphics card alone!

What graphics card were you looking at? As 512mb just means how much video RAM the card has, not what series of GPU it is running.

5. hippycake

hippycake New Member

no need for a new card, got a new case with built-in 600w power supply and guess what! it works :D thankyou for all your help guys

6. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Good to hear it's all working now! =]