Troubleshooting Is it possible to play Sims 2 without the CD?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by bc1, Nov 24, 2008.

1. bc1

bc1 New Member

Is it possible to play Sims 2 without the CD?

We own Sims 2 and the Sims 2 Pets expansion. It's only installed on one system (a Macintosh), but in order to play the Pets CD has to be in the computer. While there the drive is spinning constantly, creating a lot of wear on the disk and making a lot of noise. And, it's a laptop so the computer is being moved around a lot and it's a pain to take the CD in/out and move it around everywhere as well. I've read of strategies for being able to bypass the CD requirement on PC systems, but I can't find anything for a Mac that works. I already tried to create a dmg file of the CD using Toast, but for some reason Sims 2 didn't recognize it.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

There are copyright protection measures in place to prevent clones or copies of the game from being run directly off the hard drive. It's why your DMG didn't work.

3. bc1

bc1 New Member

That makes sense, but then why is it possible to run the programs on a PC without the CD - but not a Mac? I've read of several techniques for doing so on a PC.... but then again I don't have a PC to test them out on. Maybe it's not really true...

Sigh. I wish they would come up with another copyright strategy. I totally want to support the software companies, but I also want to use the products easily.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

A lot of it depends on the game publisher on how they want to configure the game to work. If they wish to have it run without a disc, they could like they did with Spore.

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

The game isn't able to run without the CD on PCs. It takes a software piracy program to do it. It's not a subject allowed for discussion on the TS2 BBS for that reason.

6. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Any game we purchase should have the ability to be ran off the hard drive instead of a cd drive for the simple reason of the hard drive reading the material on the disk alot faster than a cd rom will plus factoring in wear and tear on a cd rom.