Troubleshooting Is it time for a new graphics card?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Peachy, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Peachy

Peachy New Member

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I don't see why. Your card is on the lower end scale (not as low as the FX5200), but it's definitely one of the newer cards out there on the market.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yeah I agree. I'd like to know why Peachy asked. Having problems, perhaps? I would think that card would perform toleraby well at generally medium settings but that 128MB video RAM will tend to limit performance on larger lots/larger families etc.

4. Peachy

Peachy New Member

Ok thanks guys! If you were wondering why I asked that question, it's because I can't build big houses w/ many objects like I did in TS1. (I love huge mansions and large families!)
    The community lots also run pretty slow too, even with medium settings. Also, fast forwarding makes the game real choppy. I know people have worse cards than I do and they play just fine, so I thinks its best if I stay with the card I have right now. Maybe get a different one later on when the game gets more demanding.

5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I looked at your DxDiag, and something doesn't look right. Memory is allocated in factors of 2

ie 2x2^X = memory

so in your case

4 x 262144 (256MB) = 1048576 or 1024MB RAM. Your dxdiag shows only 1022MB of RAM, short 2MB.

While it is insignificant, it could mean several things. One thing to consider: memory is damaged.

If you have a moment I suggest running Memtest overnight and see if any errors appear. If errors do appear, then there's something wrong with your memory. If no errors appear, back to the drawing board for me :)

6. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

DirectX is known for having problems calculating the total RAM amount. (Mine says 1022MB too.)