SimCity Societies Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by ManagerJosh, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Is it worth it?

So now that SimCity Societies is out, is it worth it? Is it fun? :)

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Dunno Josh. I was waiting for you to tell us. ;)

3. hkellick

hkellick New Member

It's fun! It's alot of fun and I dig what they're trying to do, but like many others (I've been on the official forums, so I can tell I'm not the only one), I just feel that.. if they'd spent the time making sure the release wasn't so buggy, instead of rushing it out the door in time for Thanksgiving.

As games go, I think it's alot of fun and I'd love to see this thing get a great community going and some real mods, but...

It's bad enough, for many, that the game ISN'T the SimCity 5 people wanted, but the bugs could very well sink this ship before she ever gets a chance to sail.

Just my opinion.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Buggy, eh? What were the chances of that? :rolleyes:

5. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

That, or SecuROM. :ducks:

Seriously though, until EA changes their choice of copy-protection software, I won't be buying any of their games (that also includes future Sims 2 and Sims 3 games, and I know I'm not the only one adopting this boycott). I would have loved to try SCS although the reviews have said it's too easy/ unchallenging. At the moment I'm guessing that there are a lot of disappointed gamers out there who for one reason or another feel let down. After initially venting about it not being the traditional SimCity that long time SC fans were anticipating, I had changed my thinking after learning more about the game. I really wanted this game, but my computer health and my right to privacy/control over my own computer is infinitely more important than any game - SecuROM has no place on my PC.

Nevertheless, I am still intrigued to hear about others' experiences with SCS. So come on all you SCS players: tell us YOUR views/opinions on SCS now that you've played it. We want to hear about it!

6. Karybdis

Karybdis Mod Godfather

*shudder*.... SecuROM is in this game? ...Oh bother (to quote pooh bear)

I wouldn't say the ship has completely gone below water yet, but it seems pretty clear at this point that the SS Simtropolis, and the SS simcity.com both got hit mid-ship and took on water very quickly. The SS Tiltedmill is currently trying to escape some torpedos by deploying team members to help the community.

7. kennyinbmore

kennyinbmore New Member

I haven't bought it yet but securom will be in every EA game for the forseeable future

8. Karybdis

Karybdis Mod Godfather

Yea. It's not a show stopper, but it's annoying. I've always actually bought Maxis' games, but the more copy protection that's added in, the less likely it's becoming that I'll buy their stuff anymore. It's nowhere near the point where I plain wouldn't buy it yet, but that point is now visible in the future.

9. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

The moment my computer got affected by SecuROM and I found out about how it messes around with things without your permission (now or also in the future when you add other hardware/software), I uninstalled BV and it's gonna stay that way.

It cost me a lot to put right in terms of money and stress too, along with being without a working computer for a few weeks. My remote access was enabled unknown to me and without my permission, I was unable to burn cds/dvds (and nope I don't have emulation software or virtual drives or whatever, I am clueless in that respect), the SecuROM folder was still on my PC after uninstalling BV and basically, it was not entitled to have that power over MY computer that *I* paid for.

No game is worth the stress it placed me under and the cost to put things right totalled more than 200 ($400 USD). Added to that is the 33 ($66) for the Bon Voyage game and the Prima guide for BV, which are both now useless to me as I'm told by EA that I can't legally play BV without SecuROM. So forgive my zero tolerance for such a horrible piece of software.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I'm playing BV without SecuROM and I don't care who knows. I bought it. I installed it. I removed SecuROM, I still have the disc and code if I need to reinstall and I am not letting anyone else use it. So how I play the game is my business. :mad:

11. Karybdis

Karybdis Mod Godfather

I think they know and accept that anyone who has the ability to will remove that software as soon as they get the chance. I would be incredibly surprised if they ever made a fuss over someone doing it.

Even the programmers admit that protection software gets removed, and is more or less useless outside of slowing piracy for several weeks around the release date.