Troubleshooting Is this a graphics thing?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by MegRen, Nov 14, 2006.

1. MegRen

MegRen New Member

Is this a graphics thing?

Okay, as some of you know if you've read my previous thread, I got a new computer. The computer is now almost 2 weeks old, and I've been having some problems since about day 3. The big problem would be that during TS2 game play, the game will freeze and then go to a bright blue screen saying there's a problem with the file nv4_disp, that it got stuck in an infinite loop, and if it's the first time this has happened, to turn off the computer. If I've seen the screen before, contact the place I got the comp from. Well, I contacted Dell, went through some troubleshooting with them (downloading some NVidia loopfix thingie), but the problem was still happening. So then someone came out and replaced the entire graphics card. But nope, that didn't fix it.

Tonight, some guy in India is supposed to call me and walk me through re-installing Windows. Lucky me, I get to burn all my downloads and saved games when I get home from work. But it turns out I'm REALLY lucky that my friend has yet to come over and transfer my Legacy hood, Prosperity hood, Royal Kingdom hood, and my HUGE downloads folder from the old computer yet, so I don't have too much to burn to disk.

My question is this--has anyone heard of this problem before? If so, how did it get fixed? If re-installing Windows doesn't work I'm going to have Dell just send me a new machine, because a 2-week old machine shouldn't be doing this. I mean really. I might get 4 hours of playing time each night, and between the blue screen and the Direct3D errors I get, my game might crash 4-5 times, or more. I'm kind of sick of it. But hey, maybe getting into the habit of saving 3 times a sim day is a good thing.

2. DuzzyGirl

DuzzyGirl **sigh** Downloads ...

Oh, dear. I feel for you. I just had the same problem. I ordered the computer on October 8, got it on the 18, by the 21 I had what has so tenderly been called the blue screen of death (BSOD).

My specs:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)
    1022MB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 7900 GS 256MB RAM

I looked all over and found this informative forum:
    http://s13.invisionfree.com/nv4_disp/index.php?act=site
    It may be able to help you.

I'd called Dell, they sent a tech out and replaced my motherboard and graphics card after trying everything suggested in that forum, as well as what Dell suggested. Still not resolved. In the end; I returned the graphics card for a refund and just purchased an ATI Raedon X1600 512MB RAM from Best Buy. Works perfectly. Here's the link to the thread I'd started here on worldsims.net:
    http://forums.worldsims.net/showthread.php?t=10245

Don't give up. It took a while, but I'm playing again. :D

3. MegRen

MegRen New Member

le sigh. When I get home from work I'm going to update the graphics card drivers. I couldn't do that this morning because I overslept (stupid alarm clock didn't go off...grrrrr). If that doesn't work, I may have them send me a different graphics card or something. We'll see. All depends on what happens this evening. :sob: I want my sims to work crash-free!

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

If the drivers doesn't work, let me talk to our nVidia rep and see what they have to say. :)

5. MegRen

MegRen New Member

I downloaded the latest driver from nVidia, and I got the blue screen. When I talked to the tech support guy at dell, he had me uninstall that driver and install the previous driver from the dell website (not the latest driver). Apparently not all the drivers are the most compatible with dell systems. I didn't get to play for very long last night, but I didn't get the blue screen or the Direct3D error (it was bedtime). I'll play some more tonight when I have more time and see if either error pops up and let ya'll know.

6. DuzzyGirl

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I know how irritating the situation can be.

7. MegRen

MegRen New Member

I spent another hour and a half on the phone with the Dell guy last night and the problem still isn't fixed. I've got the latest driver, the nv4loopfix, blah blah blah. Played for about 30 minutes and got the blue screen. Apparently if I trade my nVidia card for a Radeon my computer will no longer have the factory settings and won't be under warranty or whatever, which is stupid because you would think that that would be part of trying to fix a problem that shipped with the computer. Dumb Dell people. Grrrr. Any suggestions?

8. darkdragonluver

darkdragonluver New Member

I've gotten the blue screen of death when we installed our new graphics card into our old system. I think our problem is that our computer is too old to handle the graphics card and so the graphics card heats up too much or something. I know I know, bad for the graphics card. Anyway, when that happens to me, I just turn the computer off for a half an hour or so to let the graphics card cool down and get back to it. Sorry that's not much help in your situation though.

9. DuzzyGirl

I took the time and did the whole, nv4loopfix.zip thing too. More than once. I'd update drivers, uninstall drivers, update, rollback. Finally last week, even after them installing a new motherboard and graphics card, I gave up. I told them I wanted to send it back and I'd buy an entirely different one. Figured I couldn't get any worse results than the BSOD. As far as warranty goes, personally, I didn't worry about that. It was already screwed up with the warranty and it didn't matter.

It's apparently a timing issue between the graphics card drivers, the game software, and the actual graphics card. That's what it has boiled down to. It's obviously avoidable as the ATI card works with no problem. I'm sure if enough people complain or contact nVidia about the issue, it will get resolved. However, looking back through the forums, many going back to 2001, I don't see how they've improved much. I guess you just get lucky with your game/software/card combination. Who knows?

Wow, didn't mean to ramble there. The whole situation is still fresh in my mind and until they recieve my returned card and I get my credit, I'll be reminded of it.

10. ManagerJosh

Out of curosity, what version of Windows are you running? :S

11. MegRen

MegRen New Member

Windows XP Media I believe.

12. DuzzyGirl

That's what mine is too, with all updates--made sure of that.

13. ManagerJosh

Ah okay. Something Microsoft fails to make a point of to a lot of end-users is that Windows XP Media Center does not mean the same as Windows XP Home and Pro. It's far more sensitive to what it uses in terms of drivers and hardware.

Try this set of nVidia drivers instead. These are certified up for Media Center.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxpmce_93.71.html

14. MegRen

MegRen New Member

Well, I already tried that set of drivers and I still had the problem, but I'll try them again. Cross your fingers! If this doesn't work, my next step will be to have them send me a Radeon card and be done with it.

15. ManagerJosh

I'm guessing the fact that you haven't replied in about 7hrs means it works? :)

16. DuzzyGirl

I hope you had some luck with those drivers, as I had tried them as well and still nothing. Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed!!

17. ManagerJosh

You may want to update your chipset drivers too :p

18. MegRen

MegRen New Member

Nope. They're sending me an ATI Radeon, which may not arrive until after Thanksgiving. On the upside, I can now remove a video card from my computer in 20 seconds flat, when before I didn't even know how to open up the thing. :rolleyes:

19. DuzzyGirl

I'd tried that as well and nothing.
    Yeah! I'm glad they'll be sending a replacement. I'm pretty sure it will work out for you. It just stinks that you had to go through all of that. I feel your pain!

Have a great Thanksgiving!!

20. ManagerJosh

Meah...this is why I don't like Dells. They are pieces of junk sometimes. FYI, new drivers are out, so feel free to be guinea pigs to that.