Troubleshooting Items/Sims/Menus Go Black - DEAR GOD, WHY?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Fabricati, May 22, 2010.

1. Fabricati

Fabricati New Member

Items/Sims/Menus Go Black - DEAR GOD, WHY?

This doesn't inhibit my ability to play the game, but good god, does it suck the fun out of playing it. This does not only happen to my Sims 2, but also to my Sims 3, so it's really frustrating to not have a fallback. I just posted it here, because I care more about the Sims 2 and this is where the problem started.

Carrying on, when I start up, many of the neighborhood homes and the menus are black. Sometimes when I minimize the window and bring it back up, a few return to normal, but often they just... stay black. During Create a Sim, the preview images you click on are blurry, and then the items or the display sim itself turn... black! This is quickly becoming my favourite colour. Then occasionally in gameplay (Sims3 ), and it's happening with increased frequency as I continue to play, the Sim itself, and visitors, turn black with only minimum shading to distinguish their features. It's creepy, to say the least.

I have a computer that's not even a year old, with 100 GB free, 4 GB of RAM, and a Nvidia card (I understand that can cause a problem, but I think usually it's with the screen blacking out?). I am on Windows 7. I am not sure if this is relevant or not, but I went to double check my system capabilities, and that damn system rating thing that Vista/7 uses to show how incompetent your computer is at playing games just informed me I changed my hardware, when I haven't, and now it can't compute a new rating. It fails during the 'media decoding performance'. Uh..?

I also just removed all of my custom content, then went so far as to uninstall and reinstall EVERYTHING. Still, the same issues.

:C So, can anyone be of assistance? I would be so grateful. SO GRATEFUL.

2. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Please post a complete dxdiag.

3. Fabricati

Fabricati New Member