Troubleshooting missing trashcan!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by elqindi, Jul 17, 2005.

1. elqindi

elqindi New Member

missing trashcan!

Help! My trashcan which serves the purpose of the point of no return for all domestic waste totally disappeared from sight! No wonder my sim would just drop the pile of garbage on the carpet each time i told her to empty the kitchen trash bin! Please tell me this isn't an unfixable problem or at least tell me it's just one of the funny stuff the Sims 2 has in store like Claire the Bear from TS1 or the like...:(

In case you think i forgot the fact that i deleted it accidentally using move_objects on, well let me tell you no i did not use any move_objects on cheat or even attempt to use it on permanent items like the mailbox and trash can. Sigh.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh bad! I only saw this reported once before and there was no answer then. :(

I can't remember off hand if trashcans can be bought for residential lots, but they can for community lots. So (assuming that you have University) you could try this:

First make a back up copy of your folder My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/ and store somewhere safe, like on your desktop.

Load the afflicted lot and use this cheat [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[C] then type changeLotZoning community (Code won't work without University)

Save and exit back to the 'hood then go into your <ahem> new "community" lot and set moveobjects on and buy a new trashcan and place it on the grass verge where the original one was.

The [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[C] then type changeLotZoning residential save and exit back to the 'hood and ... hope for the best ... cos I have no idea what'll happen to the fambly during these ups and downs. Probably nothing but you're gonna make a back up first, right? ;)

Let us know how you get on! If it works it'll go down in history as the Elqindi fix! How cool is that? ;) (If it doesn't work it'll just put another big dent in my fast sinking reputation for being a smart-arse ... but no-one cares about that! Even me :p )

3. elqindi

elqindi New Member

Lol sounds appealing--especially compared to the delete-junk method i have had to employ. Hmm..should i change the lot status to that of a community lot, wouldn't that affect the family somewhat? considering the fact that even for a couple of minutes, the family would be dwelling at a makeshift town Mall or something lol...but it's worth a try though, i'll try it after this!

4. elqindi

elqindi New Member

It worked! Though i couldn't really get the exact same neighbourhood trash bin on the lot, i had to install a community centre trashbin instead--one of those fancy sidewalk trash bins. I'm currently hoping that it won't get full, since the bin displays its contents (no lid!) but doesn't seem to be filling up.

Thanks a lot for the tip Mirelly! :D What would i do without the so-called smart arse who is indeed SMART! :p

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

So ... the elqindi fix is born! :D