How Do I Moving Tombstones and Church Weddings

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Lynet, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Moving Tombstones and Church Weddings

Is there a solution to this problem? I've been trying to move a tombstone to a community lot but it won't stay put in the cemetery. Now this is a cemetery that I set up myself on a community lot with a church, and not the cemetery that comes with Downtown (that one is very strange.) I tried clicking on the stone itself, was given the option to move it, and moved it to the community lot. Of course, when Sybil went to the church the tombstone was sitting at the curb between the trash can and telephone. I had her move it to the cemetery behind the church. She then went home.

Later, her son went to visit the cemetery and the tombstone was again sitting at the curb. :confused:

OK, try something else. I sent the tombstone back home, then had Sybil pick it up as inventory and drive it over herself to the church. She put it in the cemetery and left.

Later, her daughters went to visit their father's grave--and the tombstone was back at the curb. :confused:

I guess old George just wants to go home and haunt the family.

By the way, when I enter the church lot by way of the build mode, the tombstone is not there at all. I guess it's more of an NPC then an object.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has tried moving tombstones yet, particularly to the Downtown cemetery. Does it stay where you put it in that one?

2. zydeco

zydeco New Member

Here's what the Prima guide says:

"To move a grave to a Community Lot, click on the grave and select Move This Grave. The new standard lot navigation window appears permitting you to select any Commmunity Lot in the base neighborhood or any associated downtown or college town.

The deceased makes a brief appearance to wave good-bye, then the ghost and the marker are spirited away to their new resting place. To make this change permanent you must save the lot. If you depart without saving, the grave will return to its place.

When you next visit the selected Community Lot, the marker has been placed there in a random location near the public phone. After nightfall, the dead Sim's ghost may be seen wandering though it should be a relatively benign haunter.

Note: To situate it more precisely, click on the tombstone and place it in your inventory. Of course, you can't access your inventory on a Community Lot, so replace the grave by clicking on an open bit of ground and selecting Put Grave Here."

3. Lynet

Lynet New Member

:( Actually, I tried all of that, saving the lot, re-placing it, etc. It's just that it returns to the curb next to the telephone after I (i.e. Sybil) leave and go home. That is to say, the next family member to visit the church finds the tombstone at the curb. I'll experiment a little more when I (i.e. Lynet :p ) get home from work. For example, I'll send a neighbor over to visit the church to see if the tombstone shows up for a nonfamily member. Also, I'll try the cemetery included with the game and see what happens. And let y'all know how it goes. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll meet a vampire there. :eek:

4. zydeco

zydeco New Member

Lynet, here is a post (cabelle) on MATY. It sounds like your problem. She's asking MaxoidTom about the same thing. It appears to be a problem with many. I'd keep an eye on this thread and see if the maxoid answers it.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.
    php?topic=558.msg23989#msg23989

Ahhh..while double checking the link...MaxoidTom answered. He said "We are fixing some issues with the tombstones in the Nightlife patch. The tombstone controller was being set up incorrectly if it was versioned and got reset."

So it is a bug...nothing you are doing. Does this mean everyone will have tombstones littering the sidewalk until the patch comes out? That sounds irritating.

5. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Hmmm, I guess that means you WOULD end up with a line of tombstones along the curb. Maybe I'll take George (the Tombstone) back home until they send out a patch. Too bad. I have a picture of the little cemetery behind the church where I hope he eventually rests in peace.

6. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

That's so sweet!!! :) I made a little church, just waiting on someone to die and the patch to come out so I can take it there. :) I found out, though, that you can't use the wedding arch on a community lot. Boo Hoo!!! I had planned having that cute little church with the little cemetary since I 1st heard of nightlife!!

7. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Thanks :) . I built fake graves to give it some atmosphere while it waits for the neighborhood sims' gravestones. I know what you mean about the wedding arch, though. I was hoping the same thing. However, now that I've seen how crowded a community lot can get in Nightlife, maybe a group outing to the church would work. There's a cheat for making all career reward objects available so you should be able to take the antique camera along in inventory and pose for 'wedding' pictures. Even though the arch isn't there, a couple can still get married, can't they? Haven't tried it yet. I'm still thinking out loud (so to speak.)

Another possibility I've considered is to build a little chapel in the residential backyard if their lot is big enough. Haven't tried that yet either.

P.S. One way to get everyone to sit in the pews is to put TV screens on the wall at the front of the church. :p Works pretty good.

8. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

They should try TVs in real church LOL. :D

I'm pretty sure you can't get married on a community lot. The home chapel should work just fine, though. Kind of like those old manor houses that had their own ...

9. Lynet

Lynet New Member

My goodness --from gravestones to weddings. I don't consider this offtopic because we're talking church cemeterys (or is that ..cemeteries) and church weddings here. ;) In other words, church community lots. Am I stretching this too much?

10. surprised_by_witches

Nope. I think we're safely on topic. All things church-related ... ;)

11. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Yeah, they have a lot in common. There's flowers at both of them. ;)

12. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

This is a bug which Maxis is working on for the update. (Hopefully they'll have it in the University/Nightlife update and not have to put it off for the Nightlife update.)

13. Lynet

Lynet New Member

While we wait for the patch, I decided to store the tombstone at the family home. There's something not quite right about a tombstone abandoned next to a trash can. :rolleyes: So I sent Griffin Sparrow to visit the church and pick up his Dad's tombstone to bring it home. Home has a flat top roof which I put a railing around for decoration and stored the tombstone up there. No stairs lead to the roof so I assume Dad's ghost won't come down and pester the family. I expect his wife will be joining him up there very shortly to keep him company.

14. surprised_by_witches

Awww ... I'm going to miss "Mom." :(

15. Lynet

Lynet New Member

You gave me another idea. I have a couple who want to get married. They've graduated from college. I moved the guy to a small lot and he's building a chapel--very simple country church, not even a bell tower yet, though I'm thinking about that some more. His living quarters are on the second floor. He asked his girlfriend to move in with him. They don't have much money so they'll have to work for a while to earn enough to finish building the chapel. But then--Voila! Church wedding! :D

As soon as they've accumulated enough to afford a real home I'll move them out. I think I'll leave the little chapel on it's 2x2 lot for future weddings. It'll become a local tradition--move into the church, earn enough money to buy the pews and arch and caterer, get married, move out. ;)

I suppose I could have a place holder, sort of a minister, but the second floor apartment is really cramped. And now, with the instant attraction effect added by Nightlife, three residents could be trouble. This guy currently in the chapel is instantly attracted to anything wearing skirts. I'm not kidding. I'm puzzled because his personality says he's attracted to perfume and blonds. But hearts fly around his head when he meats redheads, brunettes, elderly ladies ... he's hopeless.

16. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

17. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Now I have a chapel, although no bell tower. I held my first wedding there and then moved the couple out (wedding pictures under Sims 2 General Discussion "Dear Emmy" thread http://forums.worldsims.net/showthread.php?p=85489#post85489 .

After they moved out the empty chapel (cheap kitchen appliances and bathroom plumbing included but no pews :rolleyes: ) cost 15,751 simoleons to move in. So I moved Felicia Schehl, fiance to Griffin Sparrow, into the property. I'll have her invite him to move in with her. Depending on the simoleons he brings with him they'll work to earn enough for pews, arch and caterer.

I'll go see what's happening at the official site. Meanwhile, I attach an extra picture of the little apartment on the second floor.

18. ijRoberts

ijRoberts New Member

Another possibility?

I moved a few gravestones to a cemetary that I built myself as well. And when I got there, I noticed the same thing, that the graves were all at the curbs. I sent my Sim back home and then returned to the Cemetary in build mode and moved the stones manually into a mausoleum.

I haven't been back though, to see if they stayed. It's quite possible it didn't work, but I thought I'd throw out that idea as well for placing gravestones.

19. Lynet

Lynet New Member

When I went back to the lot in build mode the tombstone wasn't there. For me it appeared only when a sim visited the lot. I looked everywhere for it, even under the bushes :p .

20. ijRoberts

ijRoberts New Member

Hmmm

That IS very odd. I'll have to poke around my own game and see if I can figure out exactly what I did, though I'm 95% sure that when I entered the lot in build mode, the gravestones were sitting at the curb, and I simply moved them.

I'm not sure why yours wouldn't have been moved. =( Odd things going on in that graveyard!