New Objects?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Vchat20, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

New Objects?

As Many of you may know, ive been MIA for some time. im just wondering if the ability to make brand new objects has been revealed yet. ive looked and havent seen anything promising, but i was hoping someone here knew something i didnt.

/me patiently awaits the day he can build a movie theatre in the sims 2

2. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

While you can't actually "make" new objects for The Sims 2, you can recolor them, using a program called SimPE.

It is a little complicated, but there are guides on the internet that almost make it easy enough that I can do it (and that says something!)

You can find a list of tutorials for this program at http://72.9.230.162/forumdisplay.php?f=34. Also take a look at http://72.9.230.162/showthread.php?t=32696 (it's my favorite tutorial for SimPE).

To download SimPE, go to http://sims.ambertation.de/.

Hope that helped,

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You'll also need the .Net framework from Microsoft. I believe that the link is on one of the pages listed above. (Or you can do a search on the Microsoft website for it.)

4. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Ah! I completely forgot about that. Thanks, Kat :)

By the way, when downloading the framework from Microsoft, make sure that you get 1.1, not 1.0! When I had to go download that I was halfway through downloading 1.0 before I realized 1.1 was necessary.

Hope that helps,

5. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

yes, i know about all that. im quite familiar with SimPE. i was just curious if making brand spanking new objects was possible yet. oh well, guess i have to wait in line.

6. KatAnubis

You had me worried there for a minute, John. But I double checked and it's the 1.1 version. Much relieved. ;)

7. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Sorry about that :)

8. KatAnubis

No brand new objects yet. We have to either get the white papers so that we can use the commercial version of Maya or we need a BAT-like program so that we can use a 3D graphics program.

Maxis hasn't been talking about this much since TS2 came out. I suspect that means that they're running into problems with getting permissions or working out the program. I suspect that we'll get something like that in a year or so.

The Homecrafter Plus is out, but they said that they had a working model that they had been using and just needed to be able to get it worked out for the rest of us to use (as of just before TS2 came out.) However, they were able to get it out this past month.

The new objects I suspect will be a little more difficult. The BAT for SimCity4 was much easier because GMax doesn't have the protections that MayaPLE has. That version was deliberately made so that it wouldn't mesh with the commercial Maya and it has an animated watermark as well (not one which can be hidden by the object "skin".) The last word I heard on that was that they were hoping to make one that was independant of the brand of 3D program, much like Homecrafter and Body Shop.

So, we'll just have to wait and see.

9. Inge_Jones

Inge_Jones New Member

The ability to make new-shaped objects is just emerging - still under testing. The ability to make new objects cloned upon existing ones with new behaviour has been around for several weeks. That's how I did my reservable beds, locking doors etc. They look like the originals but they show up as separate objects in the catalogue.

10. MomaddictedtoSims

MomaddictedtoSims CANADIAN CHICK

Pretty empty forum :eek:

Goodluck :) I'm new, so I'm no help. lol