Troubleshooting no directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapter???

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by flatfishfred, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Help Please!

:confused: So I got The Sims 2 last night for Christmas from my boyfriend. I've been trying to play it and I keep getting that DirectX 9.0c graphics adapter message and I read every thread I could find and followed every little instruction but nothing worked. I also tested my DirectX and everything works. Here are my specs:
    System
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model: DIM2100
    Processor: Intel Celeron ~1.1GHz
    Memory: 126MB RAM
    Page File: 184MB used, 119MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Display
    Device
    Name: Intel(R) 82810 Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip Type: Intel(R) 82810
    DAC Type: Internal
    Approx. Total Memory: 32.0MB
    Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (24 bit) (60Hz)
    Drivers
    Main Driver: i81xdnt5.dll
    Version: 6.13.0001.3196
    Date: 7\23\2002 09.01.38
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    Mini VDD: i81xnt5.sys
    VDD: n\a
    DDI Version: 8
    Yeah so I think that's all you'd need to know. Please help.:(

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Sorry pullthetrigger, your computer needs replacing.

Your display device:
    Display
    Device
    Name: Intel(R) 82810 Graphics Controller
    Is an intergated video controller and not a proper graphics card. EA Games suggest that such integrated cards can run the game if the PC's manin processor has a speed of at least 2GHz (2,048 Mega hertz) Sadly your PC's processor is:
    Processor: Intel Celeron ~1.1GHz
    Which is as slow as my 4 year old notebook. You also have too little RAM. Time to buy a decent new computer ... but if you are buying just to play games like The Sims 2 then go to a small dealer who builds computers to order and just ask for what you need (you already have a screen, keyboard, mouse etc ;) )

3. Hmm

Mirelly-Thanks...I guess knowing that straight up is much better than trying all this crap that won't work. I found a rather cheap processor that I think would fit the requirments here so I'm going to post all I know just in case.
    Dell
    Intel Celeron D Processor
    325 (2.53GHz, 533 FSB)
    So my question is would that be suitible for playing The Sims 2? Thanks.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Sorry but is that just a processor you're thinking of buying, or a whole new Dell system? Just buying a new processor won't help you a lot and will almost certainly be a total waste of money.

The processor you quote (2.35GHz Celeron) could handle the game but you need to tell us about the proposed system's RAM and video handling hardware (including video/graphics memory) My own personal view is that upgrading with The Sims 2 in mind is not worth the cost unless you end up with 1GB (1024MB) RAM and a good quality dedicated graphics card with its own exclusive 256MB memory (or more). An indepent computer dealer should be able to build an excellent bespoke (made to order) midi tower for under 600 (US$900) -- you continue to use you existing monitor etc.

I found atozincomputer.com

I just designed a cool system with
    • 1GB RAM,
    • an awesome GeForce 6800 256MB display card
    • and Intel P4 2.66GHz cpu
    • for US$1100
    Wish I had it myself :rolleyes: The price comes down by 150 bucks if you ditch that groovy GeForce graphics card for the almost as good ATI Radeon X600 Pro 256MB

5. I actually don't know yet. It's a brand new computer and the whole system would be $300.00. I have to talk to my dad and see what he wants. That's all the information they put down when I went to look at it. There's probably more but I'm too stupid and can't find it.
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    So...which one of those do you think would be the most suitible? I mean I don't want to spend a lot because we're low on money right now. I basically want a computer for the internet and for playing The Sims 2.

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

D'ya mind if I just call you Trigger? ;)

My instinct is tell you that there is no such thing as a $300 computer that will play The Sims 2. A quick look thru the Dell link you posted confirms my suspicion. :eek: You really do get what you pay for and, if you spent around $300 on some extra RAM and a PCI graphics card for your old computer it would probably (almost certainly, to be honest) make a better job of handling TS2 than the $300 Dell ('entry level' machine). That doesn't mean that investing that sort of money in that way is a good idea. In my opinion it isn't.

The new generation of games demands high standards of the hardware, but especially of the graphics handling hardware. Games makers (EA/Maxis included) would probably like it best if we only played computer games on consoles ... but as X-Box 360 owners are beginning to discover ... hardware is still important ... if you have a shiny new X-Box and the old family Sony Trinitron to view with ... hard luck ... the games makers developed the graphics with (and thus for) HD TVs (high definition telly)

There is no such thing as cheap. My advice is save up and get something that will work .. and while you save use your spare time to learn the basics so when you go out to spend your hard-earned you at least have some idea what you want. Sorry to be blunt but the best advice isn't always the advice you want to hear ... :eek:

7. Harla-Man

Harla-Man New Member

retarts. u guys never google it huh? well, i had the same problem with this very well graphics game(battle field 2) and so, it said the same thing. You need to google it. I got this program that updated my pc, and it worked! I didnt know what to do for a year, until i googled it.

8. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Couple of thoughts..

Don't call people retards.. It's rude and utter lack of respect towards everyone here.

Why don't you google it FOR us? After all, you know what to look for. We don't.

9. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

I agree. Most don't appreciate being called names when trying to help others.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

My thoughts: it seemed ironic that he couldn't actually spell retard ... and he suffered for a whole year before he thought of looking for help? :rolleyes:

11. SavoyShepherd

SavoyShepherd New Member

Intel 82810E graphics controller

I have a Dell Dimension L800r with
    Pentium III processor
    800 MHz
    512M RAM
    Intel 82810E graphics controller

I am getting the graphics adapter error. Do I not meet minimum system requirements? If I don't, is it simply a matter of getting a new graphics card, or is that not worth it with this system?

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Sorry Savoy, for the on-board graphics gizmo you have you need a processor that's 3 times faster than the one you have. Please don't consider trying to upgrade that machine with a new graphics card; it would be a waste. If you decide to get a new computer I suggest taking the game with you when you ngo buying so you make sure the sales staff get you something that will do the business ;)

13. SavoyShepherd

SavoyShepherd New Member

Thanks for the info - it is unfortunate that this information was not readily available on the box when I bought the software. Can you tell me, is this software totally unappropriate for an 11 year old? I know it is rated teen, but my 11 year old is used to PG movies and all of the inappropriate stuff that is on prime time TV.

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

One would hope that the store would refund the purchase price if you feel that you were mis-sold, although that hand latin standy of rip off merchants since time immemorium: caveat emptore probably applies even where there are strict consumer protection laws as in most EU states. It is one of the reasons, IMHO, that consoles have such a large share of the market -- they're easier to buy for. My best friend bought The Sims 2 for her son for Christmas 2004; she was horrified when I asked her if she was also getting him a new computer. "Why?" She asked. She knew that I was aware the family was struggling with money at the time. "Well that old thing you have home isn't a lot better than calculator," I told her. (I know I can be a bit too honest ... luckily we understand each other ... she also got a refund cos the packaging hadn't been opened.)

Right. Question 2. Is the game suitable for your 11 year old. I would be irresponsible to express an opinion. If I had an 11 year old I'd let him, or her, play it (my own 3 are in their 20's :eek: ).

If your child understands the first principles of baby-ology and can handle seeing a Barbie doll with little or no clothes without having a fit of the vapours (it's not supposed to happen but does anyway ... had a sim get out the shower only today so he could welcome a new baby ... boy did he look silly!) Where was I? Oh yeah, if he can cope with that maturely then I see no problems. However as the parent the final choice is, of course, yours alone. I am not dumb enough to imagine that my way is the only way. One piece of advice that I believe to be universal, is to suggest that a parent plays along with the child to start off with ... if only to set some common ground for future dialogue. Of course the parent also gets to find out what might be problematic for the child to understand ... and also how far along the maturity scale the child has gotten.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked ... :rolleyes:

15. to0xcutexO

to0xcutexO Poltergeist

helpp!!

ive had the sims 2 since christmas and it keeps saying" Failto find any DirectX 9.oc compatible graphic adapters in this system! please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0 compatible adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." i tried downloading it .. i tried everything please help me!!!:(

16. kpayne

kpayne New Member

Sims 2 DirectX 9.0c error message

Ok, so we have done everything the posts are telling us to do and we still can not get the sims to run. We updated to the latest Direct X 9.0c software. We went to the graphics website and dowloaded the new graphics software, we have changed our hertz frequency, we have even changed our resloution to 1028x768 but none of this appears to be working. Could it be that we need to purchase a new graphics card? We would really appreciate some guidence here, I am so excited about playing the game and getting this error every time I try to run it is driving me crazy. We are using Windows XP home edition and our chip type is Intel (r) 82810. Any help would be wonderful. :eek:

17. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Hi there kpayne

Your suspicions are correct. You do need a new graphics card.

The current system requirements are as followed:

• Windows XP, ME, 98, or 2000 operating system.
    • 1000 MHz (1 GHz) or faster processor.
    • 256 MB or more RAM.
    • At least 1.5 GB of additional hard drive space.
    • Supported T&L-capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM.
    Supported Video Cards:
    • ATI Radeon series 8500 or better (7x00 models no longer supported), All-In-Wonder 8500, 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800, X300, X600, X700, X800, and X850.
    • NVIDIA GeForce 2, 2 GTS, 3, 3 Ti, 4, 4 Ti, 4200, 4600, and 4800.
    • NVIDIA GeForce MX 420, 440, and 460.
    • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 55500, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, and 5950.
    • NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5300, and 5900.
    • NVIDIA GeForce 6200, 6600, and 6800.
    • NVIDIA Quadro, Quadro2, and Quadro4.
    • Intel Extreme Graphics 82865, 82915, and higher.
    NOTE: If you have a non-T&L capable video card, such as Intel Extreme Graphics, then you need at least a 2.4 GHz processor.

18. Brad76

Brad76 New Member

Need Help!

Im Getting Fed up with this game!! :( I have tried everything you said and NOTHING has worked I would like some help Here are my specs from that DirectX Thing that gives you them

I have a homemade computer
    1) CPU (MHz/GHz) Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz 2.67 GHz
    2) RAM/Memory - 768MB
    3) Free Hard Disk Space 52.0
    4) Total Hard Disk Space 120GB
    5) Graphic/Video Card Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
    6) Graphic/Video Card Driver Version 81.98
    7) DirectX Version 9.0c
    8) Operating System Windows XP professional (5.1, Build 2600)
    9) Sims 2 CD or DVD Version CD Version

I have a NVidia GeForce FX 5200 which the game does support and it also supports DirectX 9.0 So I have no Idea whats wrong I need some help getting this erroe to go away please

19. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hi, Brad.

Please be patient with us.

I haven't sifted through this thread for a while so I don't recall offhand what advices you have read and have therefore tried out.

As you haven't given the date and version of your fx5200's driver, you might care to update it. nVidia produce new version regularly so it is worth bookmarking their driver site and revisiting at least annually.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

[EDIT - oops :eek: changes specs and notices you do have latest driver ... :rolleyes: slaps own wrist]

Secondly it is always worth sifting through the EA support zone for information eg
    this

20. Brad76

Brad76 New Member

Im sorry to say that I still have the same error and non of the solutions work.. I even tried what the manufacturers said but that didn't even work