Troubleshooting no directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapter???

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by flatfishfred, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hi again, Brad. Sorry to bring up an edited out point (I got an email notification of your post in its first incarnation) but your PC is "home built"? Was this a fly-by-the seat-of-the-pants experience (nothing wrong with that, it's what I did ... :rolleyes:) or are you an experienced <ahem> "geek"?

The reason I ask is that there may be some hardware conflicts goings on. Areas to consider looking into are reinstallation of Windows (actually a last-ditch effort but I mention it first to get it outa the way). I have read of some soundcard issues, especially with Audigy cards where uninstalling the card allowed the game installation to proceed ... the sound card being perfectly OK to reinstall after. You could also try rolling back to a video driver from a year or so back (I don't have the version numbers to hand but ... )

Perhaps you could list the fixes you have tried. Two heads are supposed to be better than one so consider it worth the effort ... and so often it turns out that the most obvious (to person A) first checkpoint is so darned obvious that poor old person B never even considered checking it ... :eek: (been there and got too many T-shirts to prove it! :eek: )

2. Brad76

Brad76 New Member

I now got it to work!!! But Now.. When it gets to the loading screen in highlights 2 rows of the things and stops...Is there a way to fix that because I cant play it

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

<sigh> Brad, I'm sure you're a swell guy, but you should realise that your problems could also help other other people with the same trouble. You keep asking for for help but leave tantalising hints that could be sooo helpful.

support.ea.com has some sage advice for stuck loading ... though you're not gonna like it click ... :rolleyes:

Sincerely, I am concerned that you are forging a bad impression of the game and of the company that makes it and of we amateur fans who choose, simply for the love of it, to help out with our widely varied experience. If you truly have built a computer then you will know that the task is both simple and challenging in setting the builder any number of problems to solve ranging from retranslating the assembly instructions for the motherboard mountings in the Chinese manufactured case to overcoming unforeseen hardware conflicts that confuse the poor old Windoze installation software.

If you really want some help then it would be good manners to take some time properly to compose a detailed account of the problem and of the remedies you have so far employed and the results obtained.

Furthermore, in almost all walks of life it would be considered rude to call for help and then to announce to the person who shows up to help: "it's OK, I've fixed it myself." Then to add: "but now I gotta a problem with this instead, so perhaps y'all can hang around and help me out it with this instead ... but cover your eyes, cos if I figure it out for myself I ain't gonna tell ya how I fixed it."

Got the message? :(

4. montycake

montycake New Member

Okay, so that's an older message and all, and I have no idea if this person still posts here, but my DDI is the erroneous 7 so I'm in dire need of that voodoo debugging solution.

Basically I'm thinking my whole driver set-up is screwed, but I'm willing to try the debugging thing to see if that fixes it.

So if any of you still have that, it'd be greatly appreciated.

5. Krisn15

Krisn15 New Member

graphic adapter and directx

I also got the message when I installed The Sims 2 about not being able to find any directx 9.0c or any compatible graphics aapter. I have a S3 Trio64V2/DX (775) /GX (785) graphic driver and on the S3 site they say that it is the last driver that they made. Does anyone know if there are any other drivers that are compatible with S3 Trio64V2/DX (775) /GX (785). I already installed Directx 9.0c so I don't think thats the problem. Thanks!

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Unfortunately the S3 itself, hardware wise, is not DirectX 9.0c compatible (so we've been led to believe)

Even getting new drivers won't help unfortunately.

7. Kendelcom

Kendelcom New Member

hi I cant figure out how to get my sims 2 game to work I think I tryed every thig posible why isn't my directx 9.0 working its uptated and installed my computer is only a year old so what could be possibaly wrong with it I been trying to fix this problem for about 12 hours I wanted this game so bad and this directx thing wont even let me play it
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 224MB RAM
    Windows virsion: XP
    Free Space: 55.2 GB
    Total Space: 76.3 GB
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Driver Name: vga.dll
    Driver Version: 5.01.2600.0000 (English)
    DDI Version: unknown

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hi Kendel,
    It looks to me as though you have some sort of integrated graphics arrangement.

The Sims 2 is highly intensive graphical game and it needs graphics handling equipment:

>Display Adapter
    >Graphics Card
    >VGA something
    .... they are all names for the same thing: the chips wot make the pretty pictures ;)

What we don't yet have is the name of your display adapter. Run dxdiag again and look on:-

The Display Tab in the left hand section: "Device" for
    >The device's name
    >The "Chipset" (chip type)
    >Approx total memory

Even better than that (and as well!!)

Look on:

The System Tab for:

>System Manufacturer
    >System Model
    >BIOS

That will answer questions I haven't thought of yet :rolleyes:

As it stands, I guess you have some generic sort of integrated display adapter that will handle many things but not The Sims 2. It appears that your graphics adapter is using 32MB of your system RAM (a normal sort of set-up). I deduce this because you show that you 224MB memory available to the system and you wouldn't have less than 256MB installed so that other 32MB is being shared.

The game requires a minimum of 256MB of RAM to function. It also needs lots of video memory as well (that's the 32MB your display adapter ... whatever it is ... is using out of your 256, leaving you with only 224. Frankly you need double that (another 256MB) as well as a proper graphics card.)

By way of example (and without intending to depress you) my computer has much the same Athlon processor as you but I have a reasonably good graphics card with 256MB of video memory and there's also 1024MB of RAM ...

If the computer is NOT a laptop/notebook you should be able to upgrade fairly cheaply by adding a reasonable graphics card in one of the expansion slots.

Memory is cheap. you can buy 512MB for under $40
    Graphics cards start at $40 and go up in price forever

Sorry I can't give you better news.

Get back into dxdiag and get the right info ... it's there, you just gotta look ;)

9. sushant83

sushant83 New Member

Vodoo debugging

hi can you please send across the vodoo thing to me?i searched on net but am not sure if i have found the correct one...

thanks

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

If you look back you'll find that post is ancient.

Read the FAQ's see below and post your system specs and describe exactly what problem you are having.

I very much doubt that Pescado would send you a voodoo thing without knowing what you want it for ... even if he could remember what it was. :eek:

11. Kendelcom

Kendelcom New Member

as for the name it just says
    "Name:"
    as for the chip type it says
    "chip type: n/a"
    aprox total memory it says
    "n/a"
    System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
    System Model: KM400-8235
    BIOS: Phoenix-awardBIOS v6.00PG
    I also attched the whole page thing but I hope what you have right there is enough
    thank you much,
    Kendelcom

Attached Files:

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK Good news! :D

You need to buy a graphics card cos you don't have one at all. That mother board (KM400-8235) is made by compnay called Gigabyte and it looks like this

The long vertical gold colored bar is the AGP (accelerated graphic port) where you can fit an AGP Graphics Card

The long Horizontal blue bar is a pair of slots for installing memory cards (DIMMs) You will have a single DIMM in one of those at the moment and it will be a 256MB item.

You need the following items to play the game:

A decent graphics card (like this) You won't get much for under $50 but there are some bargains. You need to be sure that it is on the list of supported Graphics Cards issued by Maxis (see the FAQ's) Maxis reckon you need at least 32MB of video memory ... I think it's not even owrth paying for less than 128MB (of video memory ... on a Graphics/video card)

Secondly you might as well stick some RAM in the spare blue slot. It's cheap at the moment ... try and add 512MB it's hardly any more expensive than a 256 card.

If you're not sure about doing it yourself most computer stores will install the stuff for you for a small charge ... you can also take the game with you and insist they guarantee the improvement will enable the game to run!

Good luck!

13. Kendelcom

Kendelcom New Member

Yah! so is this some kinda special chip or can I buy it at some kinda local computer store? (like the one I bought my computer) is the desent one worth it or can I just get the cheaper one? thanks so much I can't wait to start playing:D :D thanks again:rolleyes: ,
    Kendelcom:)

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Kendelcom!

Take note of what I said!

It is your money ... don't get ripped off.

15. Kendelcom

Kendelcom New Member

now that I look at it that was a really stupid question
    k thanks

16. sushant83

sushant83 New Member

hi
    I am unable to start a game cos its says "non compatible directx9 display adapter found" or something like that.As per the prev posts i analysed dxdiag and see that my DDI says "8" even though i have installed directx9 so i needed the vodoo debugger.can you send it to me on sushantdatar@rediffmail.com

Thanks a lot....
    sushant

17. ManagerJosh

Could you tell us what video card you are running?

18. invader_mao

invader_mao New Member

is it reasonable for me to just install a new graphics card?

Computer: Compaq Presario FS740
    Operating System:Microsoft XP HOme Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
    Memory: 480MB RAM
    DirectX version: Direct X 9.0c
    Page File: 269MB used, 851MB available
    Device Name: S3 ProSavage Compaq
    Chip Type: S3 ProSavage KM133(TM)
    DAC Type: S3 SDAC
    Approx. Total Memory: 32.0MB
    Current Display Mode: 800 x 600 (16 bit) (75Hz)
    Main Driver: s3gnb.dll
    Version: 6.13.0010.1010
    Date: 8/7/2001 15:07:04
    Mini VDD: s3gnbm.sys
    VDD: n/a
    DDI Version: 7

I hope that was enough "specs." I have the same problem with the sims 2 not being able to play because of that annoying directx message saying that it's not compatible...., and I was just wondering if it was worth my time to install a new graphics card. If there is any other solution to my problem I'd love to hear it!
    Thank You!

19. ManagerJosh

Your graphics card is an S3 Prosavage Card; basically an integrated graphics card in your Compaq Presario, and it is not DirectX 9 ready. You'll need to buy a new graphics card.

20. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Given that the integrated graphics you have got is not supported by the game then a dedicated graphics card will give you a better chance of playing the game. Obviously you'll need to find out if you have a got an AGP port before shopping around and if not you'll need to locate a PCI card. NOTE that a new format is now available called PCIexpress (PCIe) ... don't buy one of those it won't work in your 2+ year old machine.