Troubleshooting no directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapter???

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by flatfishfred, Sep 18, 2004.

1. invader_mao

invader_mao New Member

Thanks, you guys are awesome! Just one more thing...I found out that I have an open AGP slot, so is there a specific graphics card I should be looking for based on what computer I have, or any cutoff point for what it will take?
    I went to the list at thesims2.com and found some good deals on amazon for some of the one's listed so I didn't want to buy something that wouldn't work for me.
    This is the last thing I promise!

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Well two bits of information are critical.

First is the rating of the AGP port. Mostly this can be gleaned by looking at the motherboard. eg smack in the middle of mine is the BIOS chip and its little aluminum heatsink bears a label with 8X AGP

I doubt if lesser cards are even available but if you don't have 8X AGP then some cards will not perform at all without a lot of BIOS upgrading/flashing and stuff.

Secondly examine the main PSU (Power Supply Unit) That is the cuboid box at the back where the power cord plugs in. Somewhere there'll be a lable telling you what its max power output is in watts.

From there you can go around the stores with your list of compatible cards, your AGP rating and power availability and pick out the best you can afford.

Note that PSUs can be replaced ... manufcaturers don't often put in more powerful components than are needed so you will probably have little power to play with. A new PSU will cost 20-60 bucks (US) depending on output and how quiet you want it (they have cooling fans :rolleyes:)

Don't be shy about posting. Feel free to copy and paste the Amazon links and we'll try to give an honest opinion ... even it's only that we don't know. One drawback of many proprietary computers is that their cases are often short of room inside for things like graphics cards. This is less of a problem with tower cases ... usually :rolleyes:

3. invader_mao

invader_mao New Member

:( Well, I opened it up and I found out the power output was 250W but nothing was labeled for the AGP, there was just a lovely set of barcodes everywhere...Maybe I'm missing something? :confused:

4. Panda0_o

Panda0_o New Member

i dont like waiting anymore, do u have to get the graphics card???
    Then will it work??????

i wanted to play...:( but now i cant....

Hey I'm having trouble with the compatible adapters cuz i dont think i got one.
    And i don't know which one to get cuz there are a lot out there. can someone plz help me?

I'm just gonna wait until i probably get a card, or try to find some answers,
    even though i am going to be soo bored when there's nothing to do......

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hey Panda ... just posting one liners one after the other is known as spamming. Please don't do it.

Tell us your system specs and we'll try to help but give us a chance to draw breath before pestering for a speedy answer. It can take a day sometimes for someone to answer ... we aren't getting paid for this, ya know.

Try consulting the FAQs before posting again ... see my signature below.

6. justadad

justadad New Member

DirectX 9.0c error

I need some help. Last summer my wife purchased Sims 2 for our 10 year old daughter. The family desk top does not have the correct specs to handle this game. Our son's laptop did and he was kind enough to load the game onto it for his sister for the summer. When he returned to school last fall he uninstalled the game.

Now my daughter has asked to use his laptop again this summer for her game. She completed the install but now we are getting the error message that there is no DirectX 9.0c graphics adapter. My son went to MSN and down loaded it but we still get the same error whenever we try to start the game. I am not very computer literate. Can you help?

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Downloaded as in downloaded the game? o_O

8. DCP11OC

DCP11OC New Member

I think he means he downloaded DirectX 9.0c from someone via MSN?

9. Frisky-

Frisky- New Member

i too can't play the sims due to this ''Directx 9.0c compatible graphic adapter''
    error.

My device is :
    Name: RADEON X300 series
    Manufacturer : ATI Tech inc.
    Chip type : RADEON x300 se (0x5B60)
    Dac type : internal DAC (400MHz)
    Approx total memory : n/a

As for Driver :
    Main driver : ati2dvag.dll
    version : 6.14.0010.6476 (english)
    date : 8/25/2004 13:29:04

im using window xp, pls inform me about what i need to change/update.
    or what i missed out with the informations ontop

10. ukegirl

ukegirl New Member

Specs

Yes, I am still having the same issues with the graphics. My specs

name:ATI TECHNOLOGIES INC. 3D RAGE II+PCI
    chip type: ATI 3D RAGEII+DVD (G2-B2U3)
    DAC typ: ATI Internal DAC

)Operating system: Windows XP professional
    Model:MS-6380E
    DirectX Version: Directx 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I hope that is all you need

11. ManagerJosh

Please update your drivers

www.ati.com

12. ManagerJosh

Your hardware does not fall under the list of approved DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card. You'll need to buy a new one that is compatible.

13. kel555

kel555 New Member

I'm having the "failed to find directx compatible graphic adapters in this system...." problem..I been trying for awhile to fix this but it isn't working. I have no idea what I'm suppose to use. Everything says n/a when I looked for what type of chip set...but what i do know is this:

K7 Triton series agp8X/dual channel DDR motherboard
    Windows Xp
    I think the processor is: AMD Athlon
    1.24 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
    Network Adapters: 1394 Net Adapter and
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

sound video and game controllers:
    NVIDIA nForce Audio Codec Interface
    legacy video capture devices
    legacy audio drivers
    standard game port
    Creative SB Live! Value
    Creative SBLive! Gameport

I'm guessing I use NVIDIA but which one? There are 50 types on the site.

I have played the game before on my computer and it worked perfect. Then I had to erase everything and now it won't work when I reinstalled it. Any help would be great.

14. Rickmasta

Rickmasta New Member

Help Plz

Operating System - Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition (5.1, build 2600)
    System manufacture Dell Computer Coparation
    System model- Dimension 2400
    Processor- intel(r) pentuim(r) 4cpu 2.80ghz
    Memory- 510mb ram
    DirectX Version- DirectX9.0c

any help??

15. Rickmasta

Rickmasta New Member

I'm guessing I use NVIDIA too but which one? There are 50 types on the site. plz tell me which one or give me the link...

16. Mister_Man

Mister_Man New Member

One Possible solution to this problem

Hi Folks,

like many of you I was having problems with this DirectX error message. The twist I had was that Sims2 used to work for me, but after not playing it for some time I discovered it no longer worked.

It turned out that some changes I made to improve the speed of my machine had caused the problem. When I ran dxdiag I noticed that DirectWrite Acceleration was grayed out as was 3D. To get around this problem I went to Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot and jammed the hardware acceleration up to the max (My machine is an XP Pro box so the setting may be different on other OS's). I was then able to run Sims2.

Hopefully this may be of help to some of you............

M.

17. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

I hate to say it cause i did it myself at times. This is an old and dead thread.
    If someone has probs. It might be a good idea to post a new thread.

18. silver spoon

silver spoon New Member

Direct x9.0c and no drivers help please!

Like everyone else I am getting the same hated message and I have read all the fourms trying to see someone who has the same thing as me hopeing that I could find an answer. and I cannot. So I am making my own hopeing someone still is helping out there hopeing to god I can get an answer..

ERROR:
    Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

Specs:
    Graphics Card: Radeon X700 series(Omega 3.8.413)
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies INC. (Omega 3.8.413)
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x5E48)
    DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core processor 6000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2048MB Ram
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

What I have done:
    I have updated my drivers till they hurt.. I have installed DirectX 9 enough times that I think my computer is going to explode.. maybe im missing something I dont know! Please anything will help. Warning tho.. I AM NOT COMPUTER SUAVEY! (or however you spell it) I know the basics and thats it.. I do not know computer lingo. if you Need ANY info at all I will be happy to give it to you. and would make it easier if you told me how to give it to you the fastest way! (i.e. my computer> C: > Bleh!>) I thank ANYONE at all who can help me!I really didn't wanna bug anyone else with this dumb problem but I have no where else to turn :\ thanks!

19. ycruiz

ycruiz New Member

Same Problem As Everyone Else! HELP!

I've been trying to get through to the customer support via EA and it's not working, even tried calling them and all I'm getting is a song and dance, so I hope someone here can help me. :( I'm getting an error message "Failed to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters etc.." by the looks of things the same error message that so many online are getting. I have Sims 2 Double Deluxe, Pets and Bon Voyage and none of them are working.

Here are my dx stats:

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    System Model: 122-CK-NF68
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

I've downloaded updated drivers and nada!

Thank you to whomever can help!
    Have a blessed day.:D

20. chelseateresa

chelseateresa New Member

my ddi version says 7!

I have ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP AGP