Troubleshooting No supported video graphics card?

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by duxhockey21, May 16, 2011.

1. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

She doesn't have a video card that will work with the game. Laptops are very hard to upgrade (and sometimes impossible). Most laptop videocards don't do well with the game unfortunately.

2. MattCannell91

MattCannell91 New Member

Well that's a little disappointing,
    At least it still works on the main home computer!
    Thankyou for the swift reply! :D

3. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

4. MattCannell91

MattCannell91 New Member

Ok I will give that a punt as well,
    Thanks!

5. Mr Cj Codeman

Mr Cj Codeman New Member

Please help me, I just bought the sims 3 game and this annoying message keps on coming up and it wont let me play, the message says "Unable to start game. Device 0 cannot run this title. No supported video graphics card detected.
    Please check your system hardwear. :( I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Attached Files:

6. KatAnubis

You have the same problem that Hettigrace has: the video card is part of the CPU and not good enough for the game. (You have the same one she does.) For more information go to the previous page and look at what they told Hettigrace.

7. Mr Cj Codeman

Mr Cj Codeman New Member

how would i go about fixing it?

8. KatAnubis

Sorry. It appears you have a laptop. Those aren't really upgradable like a desktop. The components to make it usable for the game would not fit in, which is why they go with an "onboard" videocard.

9. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

The next time you go shopping or searching for a pc or laptop computer make sure you look for a dedicated graphics card in the description.
    Laptops that come with dedicated graphics are very expensive .

10. StephanieShorey

StephanieShorey New Member

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. I recently had the hard drive replaced on my computer (I brought it to Best Buy for this as it was under warranty) and then installed Windows 7 and everything is working perfectly except that I can no longer play my Sims! :(

Attached Files:

11. swmeek

Start by updating the graphics driver.
    What did you upgrade from in your operating software?
    Another thing you might try is setting the compatibility mode to Windows XP by right clicking on the shortcut, click properties and you will see the tab that says compatibility on it and set it for Windows Xp and try that.

12. Luf4o

Luf4o New Member

I have the same problem with the card graphics.
    What is strange it that I was playing it .. like several months and today when I wanted to play again it says I have problem with the video graphics card.
    I'm attaching the DxDiag, so if you have an idea where and how the problem appeared and how to fix it will appreciate it.

Attached Files:

13. swmeek

What does it do when you start the game up?
    I would guess that maybe the laptop has been updated since you last played the game and it's messed up something the game needs to run.
    I would start by updating the graphics driver.

14. jadey08

jadey08 New Member

Hi, hopefully you can help us, same problem, here is the information you require...

Attached Files:

15. KatAnubis

It doesn't look like you have a dedicated video card. Your DxDiag has no information about the videocard's memory, which usually means that you have a videocard that is not meant for games. Also, your CPU is less than Windows 7 requires to run the game (as it's only 1.3ghz per core). Is this a laptop? Did you check the system requirements for the game before you bought the game?

16. jadey08

jadey08 New Member

Thanks for the reply, no it's a desktop, I didn't intentionally buy the game for this specific computer as we have another downstairs, however I have just given this computer to my brother who wants to play the sims etc on it and its not had any trouble before for other games such as football manager for example? Plus its strange that I can play the sims 3 on our laptop no problems?
    Is there any way of installing anything to fix the problem?

17. KatAnubis

If you have a desktop, then you can probably get a video card to upgrade it so that it can play the game, but it still might have trouble because of the CPU. Chances are your laptop has a graphics card and better CPU (or else has XP which requires less CPU power than Windows 7 or Vista.) Sims 3 is a pretty intensive game, so it might have higher requirements than the football game you mention.

18. Carly

Carly New Member

Hi, I am also having the same error, was wondering if you could let me know if you could let me know if i have similar issues

Attached Files:

19. KatAnubis

I would check your video card drivers to make sure they are the most updated. You have a Radeon X600 which is one of the listed video cards for the game.

20. Carly

Carly New Member

I tried checking all of that after googling and googling how to do things, but i have now found out (as i am using my grandmothers computer) her dvi cable stopped working so she is using a dvi to vga converter cable which she said means the graphic card wont work, I am unsure if that is correct but thats all i have found out.