Open For Business - Boom or Bust (1st Impressions)

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Mirelly, Mar 3, 2006.

1. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Fab pension? What fab pension? I suppose $499 is pretty good, but my sim's salary as a Mad Scientist used to be $2333! That's...20%? I was so mad when I found out. I hadn't known the exact percentage, so I decided to try retiring my Legacy sim, and, surprise surprise, her pension is 20%. Darn. They're all still pretty poor (a decent house, but the family funds rarely go into the hundreds) and I'm starting to think that I did something wrong. In most other Legacy stories I read, the family is in riches by the second generation. :confused: Maybe it's because they all move in townies for their money. I just don't like doing that. I like seeing Kennedy Cox walking by in his plaid shirt and high socks, I like watching Jan Tellerman read my newspaper. It's different once they're in the Family Bin and you can actually control them. Yeah...I'm weird.

2. sexierjess14

sexierjess14 Depressed Soul

Do you mean you can actually make a small bakery stall at your front lawn? :confused: I know I've seen the lemonade stand based on the picture at the sims2 official website, I didn't know a bakery is also possible? :confused:

And are those little stands only available for children or adults can own a lemonade stand type of shop too? Sorry for all the questions :p , I'm just curious and can't wait till it's released in Malaysia :D :D

3. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

You don't even need a stall, just a counter with a register and a bakery case.

Anyone from child on up can make and sell lemonade.

4. magorienX

magorienX Long Time Lurker

To make a bakery you simply use the "Make one" or "Make many" feature on the fridge and then place them on bakery shelves and mark them for sale. You have to have opened a business first though. Oh and you also have to have a cash register too.

Overall I am really enjoying this new EP more than any others. The new buy and build mode objects warrant a buy. Shelves are so useful and I'm loving building community lots with the dome roofs and the new full wall windows. I have been plagued by bugs so far but hopefully they will be fixed in a patch.(Please come out soon EA). For instance the burglar stole my elevator and my game was stuck until I moved the family out.

5. surprised_by_witches

A burglar stole your elevator? OMG that's so funny.

Dome roofs? Man I really need to look at those new building tools! I did make a stage in a nightclub using the split level tool. That's been long overdue! But I didn't even think to check the roof tool ... way cool!

I agree that this EP is a lot of fun. It just expanded their whole little world. I still have a special fondness for NL because of the whole dating scene. I'm a social sim at heart. But OFB is definitely worth getting.

Pescado, I told my daughter about your sims selling pee and she laughed so hard no sound came out. I thought she was going to hurt herself. :p

6. PlayLives

PlayLives Member

I'm loving this EP, because the possibilities are endless. I just read in the guide some things that I didn't even think about.

....selling pee?...eww...
    (to bad you can't sell the flaming bags along with it)

7. surprised_by_witches

OMG! ROFL. Flaming bags of poo for sale.

Hmmm ... wonder if you can sell roses? Spike and London could make a killing. :D You should see their lot ... roses as far as the eye can see.

They're popular, those two.

And, please share any tips that sound especially cool.

8. PlayLives

PlayLives Member

Yes, you can sell the roses they get from dates! (adding to tip thread)

9. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Hummm, I put my roses up for sale, and the game told me "unavailable for sale." It made me mad, because I wanted to sell them in my flower shop. :rolleyes: It also wouldn't allow me to put the plants grown on the slacker career reward-thingy up for sale. I had been making poor Cara Yokel spend every free minute tending her plants!

Home bakery: Mabel Yokel (Now Mabel Warner, Ani's wife) has started a home bakery. She bakes lots of pies and puts them in the bakery case she moved into her dining room. She put in an antique cash register, too. I had to add a wall with a door in her entryway so that sims would stay downstairs out of the bedrooms. :rolleyes:

10. surprised_by_witches

I couldn't sell the roses, either. So more tips on that would be helpful.

Alec Nova is doing well with his home bakery. With two kids and a wife to help out they don't need employees. Now that Piper's gone to college it may be trickier but I think they can still manage. So far they sell toaster pastries, cheesecake, berry pie and birthday cakes.

I'm working up to the reward that lets you call anyone you want. That seems like a good one to have.

One problem: I built them a shop on the side of the house, since they're doing so well, but I can't move the cases! The game considers them to be "in use." I have to sell everything in them and it's not moving. The ticketron is their main business.

Anyway, it's kind of a pain. I suppose I could try deleting the cases and buying new ones but I suspect I won't be able to.

Does anyone know how I can move them without using boolprop or a hack? Is there a "legal" way to do it in game?

11. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I know it's a cheat, but have you tried moveobjects on, or do you not want to mess with that?

12. WereBear

WereBear Dancing Bear

That would be the easy way. ;)
    You can also use the price tag to "unprice" all the items in the case, then it should be moveable.:)

13. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Okay, announcement to all.

I LOVE THIS EP. whoever came up with the idea - male or female, Dalek or Doctor - I love them. It's actually given me a goal, makes my storylines so much easier. Michelle - only just introduced, but you're gonna love her. I love the way you price tag stuff, I love watching people being restyled, I love the little smiley/frowney face man when you're pricing stuff up! I can't wait to fire someone. It's going to be so cool. Luc Thingymajiggum just asked for a pay rise. How dare he!

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I love this EP too. Rik just activated the Servo wot he bought from his brother's shop (Adil is such a clever chap :rolleyes:) Anyway Rik activated the robot and to his surprise he was able to choose the robot's gender and name. He chose female and the name Severine, "she" wears a pink dress and loves nothing better than for Rik to give her <ahem> a "tune up" :eek: I just hope that Rik's wife doesn't catch him cos the tune-up option is under the flirt section of the social menu :eek:

My wrist has just broke-down again :( so no OFB for me for a few days ...

At least I found out what was wrong with my PC speakers ... twas only a bad connection ...

15. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Y'all are making me so jealous! :mad: :p

16. surprised_by_witches

I tried that. It didn't work. If you can get it to please let me know how you did it.

Otherwise they're just stuck with it in the front yard, I guess.

17. PlayLives

PlayLives Member

Sorry about the wrong tip. I tried it and it didn't work for me either. I read on another board that someone was able to do it. Maybe I read it wrong. They probably meant the other date objects, besides the flowers. Oh well.

18. WereBear

WereBear Dancing Bear

Last night I tried various combos, full/empty bakery case, priced/unpriced/mixed, etc. I was able to move the bakery case every time. I'm afraid you may have to use the boolprop "force error" thing to unstick your bakery case.

19. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Oooh, I hate having to do that. I really feel sorry for you!

20. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Oh boy!!! Rik has bought himself a Fem-bot, a la "Austin Powers!" Just watch out for those guns, Rik! hehehehe

Sorry about your wrist, darlin'. :(