Open Letter to ABC Studios

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, May 8, 2006.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Open Letter to ABC Studios

From the desk of ManagerJosh
    To ABC Executives
    ABC Entertainment Centre
    2040 Avenue of the Stars (Plaza level),
    Century City, CA
    May 8, 2006
    RE: Programming on ABC

Ladies and Gentlemen, Members of the Board, Robert Iger:

As a loyal ABC viewer since my early childhoods, I've watched dozens of television programs with ABC affiliate stations from around the world. However it is my belief that the networks' decision to cancel quality programming before they can fully bloom is a rash and unwise decision, and has started to make me second guess my tv viewing time with ABC.

My first disappointment with ABC Studios was back in 2003, when the studios abruptly canceled the series Veritas: the Quest 4 episodes into the order of a 13 episodes. Naturally I was a bit surprised at this but as I further dug into the cancelation, I became enraged at the fact that simply on the merits of low ratings was the program canceled.

I put this aside thinking that this was a one time deal, but just recently, on May 2, ABC again canceled a series that I've fallen in love with: Commander in Chief.

While ABC did gave Commander in Chief several more aired episodes, I'm greatly distraught that it is about money and ratings first, and not your audience second.

It is very very rare these days to find quality programming. Today's shows are obsessed with sex, nudity, drugs, and abortion issues that is rare to find a good decent program to capture my interest. Naturally when both Veritas and Commander in Chief started their runs, I grew very fond of both programs VERY VERY quickly only to have them canceled midway in.
    I'm very disappointed. Veritas itself brought a sense of a challenge, an adventure, and a mystery to its vieweres. I am particularly fond how the writers were able to mesh together a mixture of science fiction, and history to create a thrilling show that I made time for to watch every week.

Commander in Chief brought us a rare view of something we don't get to see. Politics with a conscious. President Allen's character is a type of politician we should have in this country, and to watch Ms. Allen's character each week in and out outwitting and exercising her decisions and power as the first female president left me wanting more to see how her term in office would play out. It gave politics a conscious and accountability. It gave hope to those who want to make a difference in politics, doing what's right and for the better of this country, not for their own personal gain.

It is my opinion that these shows should be more about the content and not about the ratings. True while sex sells, frankly I'm not going to show this to my children nor would I ever want to see any kids hanging onto every sex scene that comes past their way.

Both the shows mentioned in this letter were of quality caliber, offering lessons, stories, adventures, and more importantly, a secondary alternative source of educational information available to the public despite a fiction story wrapped around the facts.

The decisions made by this studio, ABC, has left a bitter taste in my mouth. If this studio will not give quality programming a decent time to grow, and not cut programming mid-way into its series, then how do you expect to attract viewers? You cancel a series that won emmy (Commander in Chief) and it won publicity. It slowly was gaining popularity with audiences.

A classic TV example here is Stargate SG-1 franchise. The series may have started struggling in its first few seasons, but loyalty by the Sci-Fi channel and its viewers has pushed this series into history book with 10 seasons, and even a spin-off series, Stargate Atlantis. The key difference between ABC and Sci-Fi here is that a chance was given, and letting TIME take it's natural course to let the series mature properly. While the series was originally unpopular, it gained the momentum eventually and now Sci-Fi is raking in profits accordingly for the gamble they took.

ABC is far from Sci-Fi where their budgets are limited and resources few, ABC's direct wealth tied into the Disney Empire allows this company to take far BIGGER risks and gambles. Instead of letting these gambles play out, the first sign of trouble and shakey ratings this network pulls two shows out killing them.

I personally believe ABC has become blind and unable to see programing that has the potential to succeed and let ABC profit handsomely. Instead ABC is wandering blindly destroying everything it touches.

I appeal to you ABC, to make the right decision, to revive quality programming, and bring back Commander in Chief before it is too late.

Worry more about content and quality programming, and money and ratings will follow thereafter.

Best Regards,
    ManagerJosh

2. alliekat

alliekat Insert quirky comment

Commander in Cheif was cancelled? When? Mind you we only just started the first season here, so I'm guessing I've still got a fair amount of viewing left. Still angry though:mad: .

3. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

ABC is not limited to this kind of behavior. But I agree that it's a shame that an evening soap gets better ratings than programs that make you think about direction government (etc.) is taking.

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

What gets me is "ABC Family." I think they're mislabeled. It sounds like a network you could watch with your kids, right?

Not.

Sure they show Gilmore Girls and 7th Heaven but they've also got shows like "Wildfire" which is anything but family friendly. It's stupid too but that's another rant.

They really ought to change their name to something like ABC Movies or something like that. ABC Encore? I don't know.

Just not "ABC Family."

5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Well it appears the last few episodes of Commander in Chief is finally airing. House Speaker Templeton crossed a line with the President...DANG it's getting good...

It's sad also knowing the series is ending too...GRR!!!