Pets

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by afropower234, Jan 10, 2004.

?

What is your favorite household pet?

1. Dog

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Cat

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Bird

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hamster

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Himmuli

Himmuli New Member

My favorite pet is a dog. I have 4-years old r/w basenji male and his just wonderful friend to have! He's very lively and funny little rascal. He doesn't care much about strange people. He has a little bit too bad and hard temper but don't we all have that? Jermu is my true friend and no-one will ever take his place in my life or heart. I love him very much... :)

2. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

What does a basenji look like? (long hair, short hair, short, long, curly tail, small big or medium size etc.) I've never heard of that breed before. :)

3. Bookworm42

Bookworm42 Oh No! Bathtime!

Cool...I had wanted a Basenji when I was a kid but no one bred them in Canada (or maybe even in the States at the time)...They are considered (I think) to be one of the oldest dog breeds and originated in Egypt. I think they were also called Pharoah dogs but I could be mistaken on that. I always thought it would be neat to have a dog that didn't bark like other dogs...Our Siberian Husky is similar in that she doesn't really bark but when I drive into our yard she greets me with an "arroooo" noise that makes her sound like she's trying to talk to me...

4. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Wow, I may have to look up some pics of these Basebji dogs, I don't really know what the dogs in ancient egypt were supposed to look like! I was distracted by all the stuff about egyptian cats!! :D

5. Bookworm42

Bookworm42 Oh No! Bathtime!

If I'm correct they are usually light coloured (the picture I saw was a kind of golden colour) with short hair and a medium-sized build...hmm, hold on I'll try to find and attach a picture here....

[​IMG]

I stand corrected on the Pharoah name...my daughter grabbed one of our dog books and there is a dog called a Pharoah Hound but it's a different breed from a Basenji and it says that the Basenji comes from the Middle East...sorry, for the misinformation! In fact, I'll attach a picture of one of them since she's here to help me with the technical end of doing that..
    [​IMG]

6. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

oooh the Basengi is pretty!! :D It reminds me of a larger and short haired version of a Sheltie I know. :)

7. Himmuli

Himmuli New Member

Hello, and sorry that i haven't been here for a long time. If you want to go to check out some Basenji-sites, here's one of the Finnish Basenji Club's site www.basenji.fi. Pages are in Finnish, but you can choose a language which you want to use.

And If you're interested in of rescueing a basenji, you might want to go to the basenji rescue sites, www.basenjirescue.com . Some of those dogs have a very sad history... :surprised:

8. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Hey, good to see you and thanks for the links Himmuli! :D I'm glad it lets you choose a language to translate the page because I don't think I know ANY Finnish! :p