Troubleshooting Please help with system requirements

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by reina_asesina, Apr 19, 2004.

1. reina_asesina

reina_asesina New Member

Please help with system requirements

Hello, Im from Argentina and I cant wait for the sims 2.
    I think my computer is old and I have no money to change it, I'm very sad about that.
    I took the servopro test about requirements at home and the program said I had 2 problems:

CPI: 551 Mhz were not enough and
    Graphic Card: SIS 620

I think nothing will help without money.
    Sorry about my poor english too.

The question is: will it The Sims 2 work properly? if not, I would like to know if maybe it can work but without some functions and what would they be...

And if it wont work at all, why dont maxis make something for those that doesn' have money? God!

I'm really sad... please answer to my e-mail.
    :disappointed: thanks

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

ServoPro's test isn't really accurate. It doesn't account for processor power and offsets in Graphics and memory.

However, I would say computer upgrades are necessary in order for The Sims 2 to work properly.

As for Maxis making things work with older computers, the upgrade for Making Magic was:

<LI>Windows 95 or 98 (NT not supported)
    <LI>233 MHz Intel Pentium or AMD K6 processor
    <LI>32 MB RAM
    <LI>4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
    <LI>255 MB free hard disk space
    <LI>2 MB video card with DirectX 7 compatible driver
    <LI>DirectX 7 compatible sound card
    <LI>Keyboard
    Mouse

SimCity 4
    Windows XP/Me/2000/98 (Windows 95/NT not supported)

<LI>500 MHz processor (1GHz recommended)
    <LI>128 MB RAM (256 recommended)
    <LI>1 GB free hard disk space, plus space for saved games and Windows swap file
    <LI>16 MB video card (32 MB recommended)
    <LI>8x CD or DVD drive
    <LI>Sound card, keyboard, mouse
    Its only natural the progression of the game goes upward.

3. reina_asesina

reina_asesina New Member

Thanks

Thank you for your answer, and Im still sad.

I think I wont be able to play Sims 2 when it comes out, because I have no money to upgrade my computer.

Maxis will loose a great fan.... :depressed:

Bye-bye

4. twister

twister New Member

My system specs are as follows:

P4 2.00 GHz, 768 MB Ram, Windows XP with a ATI Radeon 7500 64mb video card. My question is, would it be worth it to upgrade my video card for better game play. I'm not a big gamer (except for Sim City 4 and The Sims 2) and I'm looking at the Radeon 9200 128mb video card.

Would I be better off sticking with my current card or should I upgrade?

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I suspect that the difference between what you have and the mediocre Radeon 9200 would not be cost effective. If you're going to change, you should go for something more like the 9600 or the 9800 rather than a card like the 9200.

Compare the video cards in Manager Josh's post's graph: http://forums.worldsims.org/showthread.php?t=2399

6. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

right now your fine with graphics...(64 mb is twice the amount you need) but if you wanted to upgrade that would be awesome!:)

7. Supernova

Supernova New Member

I got a 256 MB video card. hahaha everythign on my new computer is at least 3 times more then the requirements for the Sims 2.

8. rymndchn

rymndchn New Member

It is great to see that so many of you have used our Sims 2 System Requirements Checker, and we have tried to take some of your suggestions into account.
    Recently, Maxis have changed the Sims 2 minimum system requirements for the game, but we have failed to notice this change. As soon as we found out about the change, we have worked on making a new version of the program to reflect accurate data, and you will see several enhancements to the program. Sorry to all those who have been confused by the differing system requirements on our program and on the official Maxis site (of course the official Maxis site is correct )

Those of you who have used the system requirements checker in the last few days, and those who are still unsure about whether their system meets the required specs can download the new version of the program at http://sims2.servopro.com/TS2sysreqc.phtml

The new version is 2.5 and you will be able to easily tell the difference between the new and old version as the new version uses the new Sims 2 logo and a lighter background.

Any comments about the program are greatly appreciated, and we will continue to update the program as the need arises.

9. pardot kynes

pardot kynes New Member

hi my name is nate
    im in america and i just wanted to let you know you are not alone
    i just saw your post and i am in the same place
    i have the same computer for many years and cant aford to replace it
    so i am still playing sims one
    i just wanted you to know you are not alone as i knew how you felt

10. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Hi, Pardot. Welcome to WorldSims. Did you happen to notice that the last post to this thread dated back to 2004? Why don't you stop by the Offtopic Coffehouse forum and introduce yourself. :)

11. Panda0_o

Panda0_o New Member

:cry:i bought the sims 2 one day ago and installed but it keeps saying it cant find the DirectX9.0c compatible graphics adapter...
    Do i need a card? If so, which one should i get? Plz anyone reply as soon as possible!!

does anyone know where the quick reply button is?
    Cant seem to find it.

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The pic below shows where the quick reply button is. Click it to activate the form at the bottom of the page ... you may need to scroll down to see it.

Note also the Edit button nearby which is kinda handy ... it's meant for you to be able add bits to recent messages rather than to keep posting new messages before anyone has replied to your last message. A poster who keeps posting without waiting for someone to reply is called a spammer and is apt to get banned cos we don't like spammers :(

Attached Files:

13. Panda0_o

Panda0_o New Member

oOo..ok. thanks.

I still dont know which graphics card to get for Windows 2000

But i coulsd still play using my brother's computer.

Can u only talk to the sims that are from the disc?
    Cuz i was wondering.....

14. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

For future reference, please use the edit button and stop double posting. It's annoying. Thank you :)

15. amysid

amysid New Member

question

HELP please..
    pretty please,

i want to buy TS2 but i'm not sure if i can meet the system requirements for it.... well i doubt if my nVIDIA GeFORCE FX5500 can run TS2...
    Thanks!

16. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You haven't posted your specs, as the FX5500 should run TS2 fine, if the other specs are ok.

17. Dylan00

Dylan00 Hello ^_^

To be honest i even lag a Lil bit on

ASuS 1.3ghz
    ASuS A9550 ATI Raedeon 256MB Graphics
    And 512 Ram...yeah i need more of this stuff!