Troubleshooting "Please insert disc" problem.

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by cennec81, Oct 29, 2004.

1. junjun

junjun New Member

cannot locate cdrom

omg.. ive changed my video card to geforce fx and still my sims dont work!! ive installed it and when i want to play it has the cannot locate cdrom, i meet all systems req. and still it doesnt work wat can i do...

2. jdem

jdem New Member

Solution!!

I, just like you all, have found the same problem, when before, I could play and install the sims with no problems (save a few graphics hickups) and then, all of a sudden, it wouldn't recognise the disk! at all!

But now, I have found the solution!! Hooray!!

I run XP home and when I put a CD (or DVD) into the tray, a dialogue box pops up asking me which action I wish to take. These range from play DVD, through open CD writing window to Take No Action'. Whilst recording a CD recently, I chose 'open a CD writing window' and then clicked always take this action, which was a mistake. This prevented the Sims from reading the installation / game disks. I solved this by right clicking on the cd drive in windows explorer and choosing properties. I went to the 'Autplay' tab and then made sure that for each category of CD contents I had selected 'prompt me each time for an action'. After that Sims had no trouble reading the game disks.

Hope this helps!!

Jess

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Timely reminder, Jess. I had the same sort of problem with another game. I found that it was associated with my DVD burner being set to use Sonic DLA software for disc writing :( Who needs all this complication? :p