SimCity 4 Question About Lot Sizes

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by kudou, Jul 23, 2007.

1. kudou

kudou New Member

Question About Lot Sizes

I was wondering what sort of lot sizes are needed to trigger larger buildings? Obviously a small lot would not support a big building like a skyscraper or a big industrial factory or even a large residential complex. Also, what about farms? Do they look all the same no matter the size?

And what are some of the more popular lot sizes or configurations out there that others use?

As many may have guessed, I'm a newb to the SimCity franchise. Any tips would help.

Also: just to throw another one, no one is using my trains....why is that? Even when I have stations? And does it matter which side of the street you put your bus stops? Do you need to have one on the other side? How often do you have a bus and train station?

Thanks,
    kudou

2. Knuckles

Knuckles New Member

The "easiest" way to get skyscraper is for residental area. It depends a lot on the demand. I warn you tho skyscrapers mean really high traffic so make sure you put them near boulevards or with bus stops/subway near them. Sometimes it will take time to get them to build (some years) sometimes they will build instantly. To get them, they will usually use zones of 2x4, 3x3 or 3x4 . You most likely won't get them right when you make the zones or when you just started your city. sometimes normal houses will appear, then later one it will be small appartement buildings, then larger, then skyscrapers.

Here's some of those that built instantly for me (I was surprised) :
    [​IMG]
    from left to right in residents:
    1.2k - 3.7K - 2.7K - 1.9K - 3.7K - 2.5K

You can see for each of them, the zone size they are using.

It will depend a lot on your rail system. If your stations are in key points of the city (like 1 is a residential area and 1 in an industrial) and you rails are making a direct route to each other, near by citizens that need to go to the other point will use them. If roads are making a shorter route, then they won't take it.

For standard roads, it doesn't really matter. for boulevards, a bit more. Your sims will only take bus stops if they are at max 4 or 5 tiles away from their departure point and their destination.

In my case, I don't even have train stations in my cities anymore, I find them useless. But since buses are the cheaper/best way to get ride of traffic. To make sure a lot of people use them, I put them almost everywhere. Each time I do an area of either residential/commercial/indutrial, I will add some around to allow almost every building to be near them and at the same time, almost everyone to use them instead of cars. It's also usefull to put them near mass transit like docks and airports.