Troubleshooting Resolution problems

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by topgunffx, Feb 19, 2005.

1. topgunffx

topgunffx New Member

Resolution problems

I try to change the resolution from 800x600 to something higher but there are no higher resolutions to select but my friend has higher ones to choose for his anyone know why? btw my desktop resolution is 1440x900.....

Screenshot of my Sims 2

2. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

You have the same problem I used to have. I wasn't able to get a lot of different screen resolutions. The problem went away as soon as I purchased and installed a new graphics card. If you know that you have a "high end" card then most likely the software for the card wasn't installed properly.

In your screen shot, one of the game options is "Smooth Edges". If you have a really good graphics card it should be accessable. Personally, I find that GeForce FX cards are excellent but the graphics card you choose should be something that you'll be satisfied with and will not have to replace too quickly in the near future.

Amy Sims

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Which resolutions are available depend on your computer specs. You didn't list them, so it's hard to say exactly which part is the hangup for you. (Desktop resolution and game resolution are not decided the same way.)

The most likely problem is an older graphics card. The graphics cards supported by Maxis just allow a person to play the game, but only the better ones allow for the various graphics settings to be set high or even medium.

4. topgunffx

topgunffx New Member

here are my specs for my comp including gfx card...... http://img157.exs.cx/img157/2456/specs1kg.jpg

as u see above in the screen shot i have a version of the gfx card you mentioned.....

5. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Those specs look perfectly adequate to run TS2 at any resolution... are your drivers updated and everything?

Try running it with the command line argument -r[width]x[height]. (For example, to run it at your desktop res use the argument -r1440x900)

To do so, right-click the shortcut you use to run the game, select Properties, and add the argument at the end of the Target box, after the quotes. (For example, Target: "D:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSBin\Sims2.exe" -r1440x900)

6. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Yep, looks just like mine, which is why I'm buying a new grpahics card. :p

7. KatAnubis

Make sure your drivers are updated, as others have said.

In general the FX5200 is an adequate card. However, also in general, video cards of the notebook/laptop variety tend to be stripped down models of the main card. They do that to cut down on size and heat production. Unfortunately, you can't upgrade the video cards in notebooks/laptops (at least not the Satellite as opposed to some like the Alienware laptops.) They are integrated with the system to cut down on size.

8. topgunffx

topgunffx New Member

do you know why the smooth edges option isn't availible to me sims 2?? becuz i just wanna make it where it is so pixely and choppy.....

9. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Because TS2, being marketed to unarguably the broadest player base with the most casual gamers of any PC game, needed some way to streamline the option-setting process for those droves of people unfamiliar with properly configuring their video settings. This was EA's answer.

If you really want antialiasing you can always force it through the video drivers; however, forced AA runs much slower than enabling it in-game.

10. KatAnubis

Perhaps the anti-aliasing isn't available depending on your computer's ability. I know that my computer has an options for "Smooth Edges" and it's listed on page 62 of the manual which comes with the game.

11. topgunffx

topgunffx New Member

how do i force it through video drivers?o c ifwere updated b4 i even posted her they

o and u asked if my drivers are up to date in a previous post i checked to c if they were updated b4 i even posted here and they were

12. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

My best suggestion is to "reinstall" all video card drivers. I had that problem once or twice, but after reinstalling drivers, they all went away

13. topgunffx

topgunffx New Member

o well i guess for some reason i cant i have tryed everything suggested and ive tried more but nothing works ive tried reinstalling, i tried it on my other comp which has a worse gfx card in it and all of its specs are lower than the comp im on now and yet it can change the resolution..... i never give up but i may just do that on this.....:confused:

14. ManagerJosh

15. topgunffx

topgunffx New Member

ok i tryed that and it still didnt work and you know thats a beta driver right? do i need to uninstall my other driver or does the installation of that driver override my other driver? and asa far as i can tell that beta driver did nothing to my pc what so ever

16. ManagerJosh

you just need to install it...and hopefully it works for Notebook graphics.

I'm not sure if it had the abilities to install for GeForce Go series.