SimCity 4 sc4 neighborhood for TS2

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by tberg75, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Man of the world

Developing a city

Hi everybody.
    Im new here, so please forgive me.
    Id bought SC4 a couple of weeks ago and love it. I have succesfully managed to build 3 cities with about 50.000 people in each. Now my question is: What do I do to go neyond that amount? I zoned like this:
    IIIIIII
    IIIIIII

CC CC CC
    RRRRRRRRR
    RRRRRRRRR
    RRRRRRRRR
    RRRRRRRRR

This apparently works, but when I try to make the city bigger, i.e, ad more zones, the sims have too far to travel. What do I do to eliminate this problem? And does anyone have some screenshots they would share, to help me out?
    Thank you

2. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Have you got any mass transit? You need bus stops, subway, etc.

Next thing is you may of hit a demand cap. Try placing all your rewards in your city. Add parks, make sure they have good health coverage and that they have a good education system.

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You have all your residential on one side. You might try having it surround the I and C (since those are more where the jobs are). Also, make sure that your roads are easy to traverse and that you have the right kind of transit for your Sims. (Middle and lower class Sims like mass transit, but only if they don't have to walk too far to get to it. Upper class only like to use their cars.)

4. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Man of the world

Tried that

Ihave been working on a couple of ideas, about zoning the right way. The problem is the same, whether I have industry in the middle surrounded by R and C, or I at both ends of the city and R and C in the middle: Too long to travel. I use the grid-idea, you see, dividing each into huge grids surrounded by boulevards and freeways - they work great - and this huge grid contains of a lot of 5x5 tiles(this means the zones fills the square completely, no small roads tugged in somewhere). I have masstransit, buses, subways(no trains, though, I hate trains, they take up too much space) etc. I guess I just have to go back to the drawing board, eh?
    anyway, thanks for your replies
    Jake....THE DANE!

5. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

Flameback and KatAnubis have given top ideas really. Although i haven't experimented with trains too much, you may want to try them out. Have a few train routes through your city, but not too many as they take up room, and supply each trainstation with a bus and/or subway station. Also place stations more frequently in C and I areas. My reason for this is that trains are alot quicker and more practical over longer distances than a bus or subway as they're more direct and don't deal with traffic or intersections. This way people can catch a bus from home a few blocks to a trainstation, traverse a larger distance in the train, then get off and walk to work. Remember i haven't tried this out to any great extent yet, so i'm not sure of how successful it will be.

One other option i find to help commute times is placing "shopping villages" throughout my residential areas - particularly suburbs. Every say 30 tiles, at major intersections, i place approx. 10 to 20 commercial tiles along the main roads. I can show you a picture of this if you're after a bit more detail on what i'm rambling on about :p

BTW, next time don't be affraid to start a new thread if you're posting about a new subject ;)

6. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

Now I am wondering if I should get SC4. I saw it at Funcoland for $14.00 (american dollars) But I haven't yet got a chancce to buy this game yet! My cousin loves it and she told me that I might like it well who knows!

7. sam_lawrence

Well if you've played any previous SimCity titles and liked them, chances are you'll like SC4. It is however alot harder to master, but fun when you do :p It does have an element of The Sims in it, but they're quite hard to compare. If it was me, and i had $14 to spare, i'd buy it.

8. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

no I never played sc not ever

9. sam_lawrence

If you like strategy type games, you might like SC4 as it does have a strategy side to it. Maybe a safe bet would be to see if you could rent it from a videostore for a few dollars to see if you like it before commiting yourself to buying your own copy.

And again, don't be afraid to start a new thread if you have something to say (in this case a "Should i buy SC4" thread) so we can keep these other threads on-topic. :)

10. KatAnubis

I think it's very pretty. However, it won't look that way when imported into TS2 because all those lovely trees will be gone. :disappointed:

Did you make it by using the crater tool and then submerging most of it?

11. sam_lawrence

True the trees will be gone, but i'm assuming they can be replaced once it's been opened up in TS2.
    I actually made it with a combination of tools. First the Plateau Tool, raising the plateau just above the water. Then i created a cresent shaped line of mountians with the Mountain tool, and basically just help the Erosion tool over it for a looong time untill then flat area surrounded by the cresent mountians was submerged under the water. After that i gave it a very quick going over with the smoothing tool. Garnish with trees, and it's ready for serving.

12. KatAnubis

In TS2 they have a way of placing the trees (with many different types) so you could replace them. (Although it looks like you place them one by one like in TS1, not like with the forestation placement in SC4.) I suspect that it will be a pain in the neck. ;)

I've made some atolls using the crater tool, then doing erosion. However, there isn't a satisfactory size. If you use the tool as is (or at [shift]9 or 0) it's too small. But when you just shift click it, it's too big. I wish there was a way of having it half way in between.

When I've used the erosion, I don't get the things to go below the water line. They seem more to fill it in so it's at just the water line. So if I drop it, the water gets too deep. (Again, it would be nice to have it half way between.)

I've spent many a happy hour just terraforming with SC4. I rarely even play anymore because I just have so much fun with the terraforming!