Troubleshooting Sims 2 crashing after "create a family"

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by mcrippen, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mcrippen

mcrippen New Member

Sims 2 crashing after "create a family"

I've looked through the threads and found other similar problems and computer specs, but the links to download driver updates were 404 errors. Please help me figure out how/if I can update my computer for the Sims 2 (Double Deluxe). It's driving me crazy.

Here's my computer info:

Intel Core2Duo 2GHz
    3062MB RAM
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    143 GB free of 220 GB hard drive
    DirectX 10
    Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
    Driver: igdumd32.dll
    Version: 7.14.0010.1409
    Date: 3/6/2008 2:58:12 AM
    Approx. total memory: 358 MB

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Challyse

Challyse New Member

Fixed :)

had this exact same problem - running sims on a laptop with Intel Express Chipset 965 and Vista Home Premium. After searching the internet and trying every recommendation - uninstalling, reinstalling, running in window mode, changing the resolution settings,deleting the temp files, etc, I got it to work by out by messing around with the shortcut settings!

Right-click on the desktop shortcut, click the Advanced button on the "Shortcut" tab. Click Run as Administrator. Next, click the "Compatibility" tab, and check the box next to "Run this program in compatiibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)." Also, check the box next to \"Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and click the box under Privilege Level - "Run this program as an administrator." Sims 2 now works properly on my machine - no more crashing! :knockedout:

3. denaETC

denaETC New Member

ohnice, i find this thread after i uninstalled sims 2 already.
    i had the same problem D:<
    but now when i try to install, theres an error on disk 2 x__x
    it says 'A problem occured trying to transfer 'TSData\Res\Sims3D\Sims11.package' from the media'
    hmm, does anyone know what to do ?

4. mcrippen

mcrippen New Member

Challyse, I tried changing the settings like you said but I'm still having the same problem. What were the other things you tried before, other than uninstalling and reinstalling? Maybe it was the combination of those things and changing the settings on the shortcut that did it.

5. Challyse

Challyse New Member

Sorry...not fixed anymore!

I'm not sure what "undid" it but it the changes I made earlier worked for about 2 hours then suddenly...problem has returned! Ahhh..so fustrating! I can't figure out why it would work, then suddenly revert back to crashing. Perhaps it is something in the cache? I had tried the following things (in no particular order:(

* Uninstall/Reinstall
    * Deleting cache files for the game
    * Updating video, sound, and chipset drivers
    * Setting the CPU affinity
    * Setting the game priority
    * Changing the compatibility settings

Does anyone know of anything else to try? I am on the verge of reinstalling the whole operating system using the original Dell drivers...

6. Challyse

Challyse New Member

Ok..fixed...this time for real ;)

Did a complete reinstall of the operating system. STILL had the same issue with nothing else on the system but the OS, original drivers, and the Sims 2. :angry:

So I uninstalled the Intel GM965 drivers - version ending in 1409 - (currently the only ones available for dell xps 1330) and instead tried the driver intended for Dell Studio Hybrid 140g. This computer also uses a Intel GM965 chipset but it had newer drivers available - version 7.15.10.1537 (Dell version # 15.11.0.1537, A02 released 12/5.2008)

Now the Sims 2 works perfectly! No more hangs or crashes. I've been running it all afternoon, creating families, installing custom content - no issues! :knockedout:

These drivers are available at:
    http://support.us.dell.com/support/...eid=R195337&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=270006

7. mcrippen

mcrippen New Member

I just did the same uninstall/reninstall of drivers like you did, and the Sims 2 runs perfectly now! You're a lifesaver!!

8. katrinastap

katrinastap New Member

i am having the same problem as you were, and im following your instructions but i cant find the drive you mean, ('Intel GM965 drivers ')
    i have a del machine on vista if that helps