Sims 2 "Worse than Hot Coffee for GTA"; Possible Ban?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Randomzero, Jul 22, 2005.

1. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Of course it's pretty worthless. It's a panacea. I mean, look at the way they do ratings. I read that their official procedure is that they find people who knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT games and then has them play selected sections, probably chosen by the publisher as being what they see as most explicit (they are doing this voluntarily, after all, so I don't think they're going to cheat), and then they make the rating based on the opinions of people who know absolutely nothing about what they're rating or the actual context, based on this arbitrary cut.

Naturally, this is not a very intelligent way to form a judgement of anything! Wouldn't you be better off, oh, I dunno, ASKING SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS ABOUT THIS SORT OF THING?

In the end, all ratings come down to is somebody else's opinion, which is only valid as long as you agree with it. Once you find a point on which you disagree, the entire thing tumbles like a house of cards and becomes fundamentally worthless to you. Because if you don't agree with their ratings, what use are they to you?

2. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Thank ya, thank ya. :) It's the one thing I think I've done right all week. LOL

3. Rowanstaff

Rowanstaff Kilted Freak!

I have a good friend that runs the electronics department at a Target. On at least a dozen separate occasions he has had to turn kids away from buying M rated games because their parents were too lazy to come in the store with them. Then, when the kid goes out and tells the parent this, the parent comes in angry at the man behind the counter. His reply, "These games are M for a reason." It hasn't detered a single parent from purchasing the games. GTA:San Andreas, God of War, Conkers Bad Fur Day, to name a few.

The rating system means absolutely nothing without an informed public willing to take responsibility for their end of the bargain. And no amount of knee-jerk censorship-ism pointed at the game makers will change this.

4. slimsim

slimsim Often-Idle Member

Target's New Policy is to not sell M-Rated Games. (The official announcement states "Games rated 17+")

5. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

i definitely have to say that i just love reading some of Jacko's latest responses. you can definitely tell he is not all there in the cabésa :D

6. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Well, that's obvious. He's a small minded person who gets upset if anyone else is having fun. Makes me think he wasn't picked for teams at recess and is taking it out on the rest of the world.

7. Randomzero

Randomzero New Member

Or that he was getting his butt kicked by everyone in Mortal Kombat :D

8. Rowanstaff

Rowanstaff Kilted Freak!

9. DuzzyGirl

DuzzyGirl **sigh** Downloads ...

That is GREAT! lol :D

10. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Kristal,

I understand you wrote your senator(s)? I was wondering if you had gotten a reply as of yet. :)

Thanks,
    John

11. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

This is just so true! It's what we've been saying all along, that the parents need to take responsibility in looking into what their kids are doing.

The problem is that so many people don't bother to even think about what they need to know for the sake of their kids. They tend to either blanket "all video games are bad" or "no video games are bad" rather then educate themselves about what is really going on!

12. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Nope, not yet, John. :(

13. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

ill have to take a few days to write up my letter (i suck at writing) and then i will try sending it into my local rep. he seems to be pretty down to earth and would probably keep good tabs on this situation.

14. Shintoga

Shintoga Student of Simlish

I think if this man does get TS2 banned (which I hope is unlikely) he will be hated and hunted like a dog. :rambo: There are many worse examples of sex and exploitation in games, and TS2 is not actually that offensive in comparison. And, correct me if I'm wrong, do EA actually *have* that much control over third party content? I haven't got the nude patch, but I have seen nude skins, and guess what? They are just as EA describes nude Sims - smooth and undetailed. Another thing is that teens cannot have woohoo and Young Adults cannot have babies until they leave college, when they become adults anyway. Does that not say something??:mad: I bet if he'd lived in another century he would have been a witch hunter...

15. cloudshear

cloudshear New Member

Good parenting

Yes,that is completly true.Parents need to take the time to look at what their kids are playing.If you find out a game your kids play has mods you don't approve of. Then use those parental controls to block the download sites.
    I being a parent enjoy the freedom of choice available from the modding community.I like the idea I can make the game more adult oriented for me and my wife.But I can chose whether my kids use them.Pretty much every pc game that comes into our home we play as a group.So we notice when something is not appropriate for the kids.

P.S. I would like to thank the modding community for all the time and work they put in to giving games more replay value.

P.S.S A little hint if your not monitoring your kids internet activities and you suddenly notice his sims are nude.Then its a dang good guess he's downloaded or watched much worse on the net.

16. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Necromancy is bad, m'kay?

17. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Are you aware that you just replied to a post which has been inactive for 7 months?