Sims can't call other sims

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by snow, Aug 1, 2002.

1. snow

snow New Member

Sims can't call other sims

Some of my sims cannot call other houses in the neighborhood - is there a fix or cheat to this?

There doesn't seem to be any reason for this but certain houses/plots are affected

can anyone help.... please? :)

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Perchance did you delete your mailbox from your game?

3. snow

snow New Member

No, nothing deleted,

They all have telephones - one can call the other but not the other way round.

These sims are friends and can meet downtown and go to each others houses from there but they cannot telephone and invite over as they do not appear in telephone list.

4. ManagerJosh

What expansions do you have?

5. snow

snow New Member

Livin Large
    House Party
    Hot Date
    On Holiday (UK Vacation)

6. ManagerJosh

See if you can find the file: phones.iff

move it onto your desktop and run the game. It should correct the issue.

7. Mattvols

Mattvols New Member

I couldn't figure that out too when I first got the game. Ok here we go the reason is they have to have a phone for you to call them. You just need to buy a phone for every house in the neighborhood.

8. snow

snow New Member

Every sim has a phone - some houses just cant call each other even though they are friends and can meet downtown and invite back to each others houses

If they are friends and have phones why can't they call?
    They don't even appear in the list when you go to make a call

I tried the phones.iff and i couldn't find the file - lots of other *.iff files but not phone or phones

9. kch49er

kch49er New Member

have you tried looking using the search option for phone.iff or phones.iff. That often finds things that I missed.:)

10. juicylucy1989

juicylucy1989 New Member

You can only phone people in the neighbourhood if you have met them. Sorry if you have already tried this but i only wanna help!!:)

11. snow

snow New Member

as mentioned earlier in the string they all have phones

12. RedsGirl

RedsGirl New Member

Look in your GameData/Objects folder and see if you have any of these files (IF you have Hot Date:(
    CarPortal.iff
    MailBox.iff
    PedPortal.iff
    TrashOutside.iff
    phones.iff
    phones.spf
    If you have any of those files, delete them. They overwrite the files in Hot Date preventing your sims from going to work and can also remove the "Throw Party" option from your phones and prevent visitors from coming over.

13. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I had phone trouble where I have ALL the expansion packs but it wasn't letting me throw a party... I had to reinstall all the games for other reasons and when I did I got my throw party option back. Also I've heard that if you have LOTS of friends they may not all fit and show up when you're trying to make a call, I think you're supposed to be able to hit tab or some other key to have it switch to the next batch of friends to call. I hope you get your phones to work, good luck!

14. babybearrules

babybearrules New Member

I might know what it is. Does your Sim have a whole heap of sims on it's contact list. I had so many on the list that no one else could be added. :) I had to get rid of some friends. On Vacation and Hot date u tend to get alot of friends. So that could be the problem. Try getting rid of some on your friends on the list. ;)

Hope i helped :)

15. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

So in the end we're coming to the conclusions:

1) check the phone.iff files. Do as Josh said about that.

If that doesn't work
    2) unistall ( use simseraser) and reinstall all packs in order

Good Luck!!!
    :classic:

16. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

And 3) hit the TAB key on your keyboard when you are in the menu for calling friends, that will take you to the next set of family names for you to call. :)