Troubleshooting Sims freezing midway through gaming

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by aznvietgirl06, Feb 11, 2006.

1. aznvietgirl06

aznvietgirl06 New Member

Sims freezing midway through gaming

Hey everyone, I came across a thread on this forum, posting the same problem with Sims 2 that I have. Sometimes I can play the game for a long time, but eventually while I am doing something..it will freeze, the music will continue playing and after a second or two, the monitor will black out and ..the only way to recover is to restart. I'm guessing the problem I am having is related to my processor, since I only have 710 MHz, while the required is 800MHz. Every other system requirements are meet. Could this be the problem, or something else?

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Out of curosity, but what are your other system specs?

3. aznvietgirl06

aznvietgirl06 New Member

lol..reallly crappy? If I'm lucky my dad will allow me to buy..my friend's computer...and maybe help out with like..20 dollars.
    Um..
    320MB Ram
    ATI Raedon 9550 AGP
    Oh, and the Processor is an..Athlon Duron..:(

4. ManagerJosh

and you are running the latest ATI Drivers right?

5. aznvietgirl06

aznvietgirl06 New Member

i think so. tehehe..It doesn't make ne difference because i did have the latest one when I dl the driver again, because had I accidentally unistalled it. I installed that driver, because my dad gave me the disc and now I have...this one that is..doing the same thing. Though, just today when i was trying to watch family guy, this one specific episode..Windows didn't wanted to open it, and yet DivX did, when it DivX didn't wanted to open for other episodes. Well, it froze twice, the same amount of time each time, and its behaving like it did when Im trying to play the Sims.:confused: Maybe..its the RAM?

6. ManagerJosh

RAM may be the problem. Does this happen when you play other graphics intensive programs? Or when you open a ton of windows? Or just Sims 2?

7. aznvietgirl06

aznvietgirl06 New Member

Before it did that with Zoo Tycoon too. It usually doesn't do it with videos, it'll run ok, but I don't usually have a lot open at once. I'm guessing it is the RAM, because when i have RAMBOOSTER open, Sims would at least let me play for around an hour or so before freezing, if I'm doing too much at once in Sims. When I closed RamBooster, thinking the processor was the problem, it..like freezed when it opened the neighborhood.

8. ManagerJosh

Do you have a Floppy Drive or CD Burner?

9. aznvietgirl06

aznvietgirl06 New Member

um..CD burner and a 3.5 Floppy. Oh, i remember now, i have this other game, that also requires 800 MHz, but a lot less RAM..it ran ok.

10. ManagerJosh

Find a blank floppy, and install this program.

http://www.memtest.org/

Boot off the floppy and let that program run OVERNIGHT. When you wake up, check if there are any errors.

11. FreezingHelp

FreezingHelp New Member

Problem

The Sims 2 keeps freezing on my computer too. It only doesn't work for that one program. Everything else works and my computer is farely new so it shouldn't be that either. any ideas?

12. aznvietgirl06

aznvietgirl06 New Member

haha i've been gone ...b.c i'm been playing seems. It turns out..when i use rambooster to try and free up as many megs of RAMs as possible, its over the 258 required, but it works a lot better. Of course it'll still freeze from time to time, but at least if my sim is not doing a bunch of stuff at once, then it won't freeze, and I'll get a couple of hours of play before it does freeze. So..I guess its ok until I get a better computer. Thanks lol. Sorry, I didn't try that floppy thing, i had no idea what you were talking about.

13. FreezingHelp

FreezingHelp New Member

Well I have a ton of RAM so that shoudn't be the problem...

14. FreezingHelp

FreezingHelp New Member

Please Help Anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

It mostly freezes right before they learn to walk, talk, potty trained, ot change age... and sometimes there is a blue circle above the sim's head. Anyway, It freezes then plays the music for 4 seconds then stops and then my computer beeps and I have to restart. I'm using a labtop that isn't that old so I really don't know what's wrong... It ALWAYS freezes on the pleasant family and any other tutorals. Does Anybody have an idea? I really don't want to give up on the game...::)confused::(