Troubleshooting Sims/lots in bin are they safe when uninstall'g/reinstall'g the game?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by lorelei92950, Sep 28, 2011.

1. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

When I uninstall everything and reinstall--I've using Mirelly's advise re playing each lot and making sure everyone is accounted for first, etc.. But with all this attention paid to Sims already on lots, I'm wondering if the Sims in my Sim bin and the lots in my Lot bin are in jeopardy? Anyone know?

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If you don't save them separately from when you install an EP, there's a chance that they can become corrupted. Make sure to save your Simbin and lot bin outside of the game so that they're safe while you do your install. Then you don't need to worry about them. Making sure everyone is accounted for and not in a transition stage keeps them from becoming corrupted if you don't remove them from the game before you do the install. Personally, I don't believe in leaving the files in place while you do an install. I think it's better for it to regenerate anew when you do the install. I just removed the TS2 file from the folder (and trashed it if I had saved things separately somewhere like on the desktop or to the harddrive.) Then it regenerates when you install the new EP. Everything clean and shiny. Then I'd put my saved stuff back in place after everything had been installed.

3. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

How do I save the Simbin and the lot bin, then? I mean where do I find it to back it up. I assumed that when I uninstalled everything that no files would BE left in place, so I'm not sure---when you say you removed the Sims 2 file from folder, is that the EA folder? Won't all that be removed by uninstalling anyway?

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

"saved sims" is the simbin. "lot catalog" is the lot bin.

The "sims2 file" is "The Sims 2." In your case, with the addition of the "Store" version, you'd remove both of those. I don't know if the EA Games folder would regenerate, so I'd just do the things inside it. But it's a moot deal anyway since it all goes away when you uninstall.